Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking GPU-confirmed flights with partner segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hello FT,

I'm trying to book a set of flights LAX-NRT, HND-ITM, KIX-SFO for holiday travels. I can confirm there are W inventory on all segments, and R inventory on the UA-operated LAX-NRT and KIX-SFO flights.

Here's the dilemma, on the UA site, if I select "Upgrade Type: GPU" in the search and leave "Fare Class" blank, after selecting confirmed GPU upgrade on LAX-NRT, the only options I have are either C or L on the HND-ITM segment. If I select L, it will force me onto L on KIX-SFO, which is GPU-ineligible. If I select C, it will allow me to apply GPU on KIX-SFO but on a much more expensive fare.

If I select "Fare Class: W" and leave "Upgrade Type" blank, I can confirm all segments have W available, but booking this way will not ensure instant GPU upgrade and I'd have to wait 24 hours for ticketing to go though.

If I select "Fare Class: W" and "Upgrade Type: GPU", I'd get an error saying no flights are available. I presume it's because it's trying to select both Upgrade AND W for the NH segment.

Is there a way around this? Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You are 1K. You can call.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese
If I select "Fare Class: W" and leave "Upgrade Type" blank, I can confirm all segments have W available, but booking this way will not ensure instant GPU upgrade and I'd have to wait 24 hours for ticketing to go though.
Why do you say that? It should ticket within minutes, at which point you can apply the GPU.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why do you say that? It should ticket within minutes, at which point you can apply the GPU.
I agree. I don't see a dilemma here at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.