Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Bassinets on UA flights - access / experiences / questions

Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Bassinets
A limited number of complimentary bassinets are available for use on international aircraft only. Bassinets are 29 inches long by 11 inches wide (74 cm by 28 cm) and can hold an infant weighing 22 pounds (10 kg) or less. They may not be used during taxi, takeoff or landing, or when the seatbelt sign is illuminated. Bassinets are available for customers traveling international segments in United Polaris® business class on select 757, 767, 777 and 787 aircraft and in United Economy® on 757, 767, 777 and 787 aircraft. Bassinets are not available for customers traveling in United First® or United Business® at this time.

Customers can request a bassinet by calling the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the United States or the appropriate Worldwide Contact Center. We will provide accompanying seat assignments for an adult traveling with an infant and up to one travel companion. You can arrange these seat assignments with the United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative at the airport free of charge. Bassinet availability is limited, and these arrangements are not guaranteed, so we recommend requesting a bassinet early for your flight.
Planes with bassinets
787-8 20A-L 30A-L 42DEF .... UA does not list any business class bassinets
787-9 (BF 6AB, 6KL, E+ 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF)
Polaris config 1A; 1L 20C; 20DEF; 20J 30C; 30DEF; 30J; 44DEF
787-10 1A, 1L 20AB, 20DEF, 20KL 30ABC, 30DEF, 30JKL, 44DEF
777-200 1-2-1 Polaris+PP 9A, 9L 20DEFG 30DEFG, 41DEFG
777-200 2--4-2 (Diamond seats) 40FG or 40DE
767-300 Polaris 1F 16DEF
767-300 HighJ (1?), 21DF 30AB, 30DEF, 30KL
767-400ER (E+ 16DEF, 28DEF)
757-200 16 BF (BF 1AB, E+ 8DEF)
Other 752s do not have bassinets.Those 752 are non longer in operation
The rest of the fleet does not have bassinets.
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Bassinets on UA flights - access / experiences / questions

Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
So wait, you can't bring a carseat on to a Polaris configured aircraft? This can't be right. Is there a link or something?
You can bring a car-seat and gate check it if you are going to be in J. If you are in Y or Y+, you can bring the seat on board (provided you have purchased a seat for the baby). Then you can place the car-seat on the seat and go you merry way!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So wait, you can't bring a carseat on to a Polaris configured aircraft? This can't be right. Is there a link or something?
United devotes ample web pages to this stuff.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/infants.html
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I've done extensive research into this, you can read all the gory details, FA manuals, and firsthand experience on my blog: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...el-aviv-newark

Also on FT in less detail: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-w-infant.html
DCEsquire and AceReport like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I've done extensive research into this, you can read all the gory details, FA manuals, and firsthand experience on my blog: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...el-aviv-newark
This is an incredible post. Thanks for all of the research and time you put into it. Very good advice but man, what a hot mess in the execution of an admittedly confusing policy.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
This is an incredible post. Thanks for all of the research and time you put into it. Very good advice but man, what a hot mess in the execution of an admittedly confusing policy.
Thanks. And it is a real hot mess that nobody at UA seems to want to address.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
IME you can not use a car seat on any configuration that is not a straight forward facing (such as herringbone) Also they are generally not allowed in seats with an airbag unless it can be deactivated. I'm not sure about the new polaris specifically as the odd number rows are straight forward facing. I don't see any UA policy specifically forbidding car seats in J outside of the FAA guidance. In fact if a seat is purchased then the carrier is supposed to accommodate the child in that class of service. Per the FAA:

An aircraft operator may have policies, based on safe operating
practices, that establish certain seat locations for passengers who use a CRS
on a specific aircraft. However, prohibiting the use of a CRS (if a ticket has
been purchased), when there are seats on the aircraft in the same class of
service where the CRS could be used safely, is not consistent with the
requirements in parts 121, 125, and 135

The UA 77W's do have a bassinet attachment point in the front of the polaris cabin (9A and 9L I think). I can't speak to other polaris configurations. The older 772's do not have bassinet points in J or F but there are some in the first row of E+ and in E behind the restrooms. My son is just over 1 now and has not fit in a bassinet since he was 6-7 months. IIRC the weight limit was just over 20lbs but he was functionally too long by then to really fit.

Good Luck!!

The FAA guidance is not overly specific but can be helpful.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...AC_120-87C.pdf
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by AceReport
I don't see any UA policy specifically forbidding car seats in J outside of the FAA guidance. In fact if a seat is purchased then the carrier is supposed to accommodate the child in that class of service. Per the FAA:

An aircraft operator may have policies, based on safe operating
practices, that establish certain seat locations for passengers who use a CRS
on a specific aircraft. However, prohibiting the use of a CRS (if a ticket has
been purchased), when there are seats on the aircraft in the same class of
service where the CRS could be used safely, is not consistent with the
requirements in parts 121, 125, and 135f
UA does ban them and IMHO they are violating FAA policy:

Also on FT in less detail: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-w-infant.html
I've complained to the FAA and DoT to no avail. Going to take a mainstream media incident to provoke change at UA here it seems.
Gosh I miss the days of CO Insider reading every thread on the CO board and actually fixing things like this...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:53 am

Great write up! Very good info here, though I think for us the kid will be in a CARES harness by the time it comes in handy.

UA does ban them and IMHO they are violating FAA policy:
It seems to be more that there is a lack of specific policy rather than a ban on them. UA is just leaving it up to the FA/Purser/Captain's discretion which is going to be inconsistent for customers and puts the crew in a tough place where their training falls a little flat.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by AceReport
It seems to be more that there is a lack of specific policy rather than a ban on them. UA is just leaving it up to the FA/Purser/Captain's discretion which is going to be inconsistent for customers and puts the crew in a tough place where their training falls a little flat.
Nope, the FA manual in that post says no carseats in 77W J.
No idea why UA.com doesn't have that info.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:24 pm

Nope, the FA manual in that post says no carseats in 77W J.
No idea why UA.com doesn't have that info.
Is that United's way of keeping babies out of business class? What other reason could there be if there is an FAA regulation that allows/requires it?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Is that United's way of keeping babies out of business class? What other reason could there be if there is an FAA regulation that allows/requires it?
They have bassinets for babies in Polaris.
I literally have no clue why the carseat restriction exists and I don't think anyone at UA does as well. Everyone is dumbfounded and nobody knows how to fix it.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:47 am

One thing I'm shocked about is this statement on the website!

Bassinets are not available for customers traveling in United Polaris first class, United First® or United Business® at this time.
I confirmed that Bassinet points are available on the 77W and reconfigured Polaris 772. There are bassinet points in 9A and 9L on both configurations.

Bassinet points are also available in 8AB and 8KL on the 2-2-2 configured 772 but are NOT available on the other 772 configurations.

Since it's UA it will always depend on if they have actual working Bassinet's on the aircraft (they gave us a floor box in Y on a 764 once because one of the loaded Bassinets was broken).

Hope that helps.
DCEsquire likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2018 at 2:16 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
many thanks to the contributors in this thread - not much info on bassinets in UA J, this answered most of my questions!

Originally Posted by fezzington
Would there be interest in a post detailing bassinet locations by fleet type? I don't mind sharing the details (it's public enough, anyways) but would hate to do it if there was no real need for such a list. As @choatie88 notes, it's quite rare to see one used.
I think that would be great - especially considering that UA's website (at least for the PS 752 with 27J) is blatantly wrong.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I’d echo the suggestions up thread to get a seat for the little one and strap him-her into their normal car seat. Our kiddos learned early on that the car seat is something that - once strapped in - you will stay out for a long time. That’s the best solution for a plane flight.
We did the lap child thing once and never again.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:45 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Friend of mine is going to be traveling with an infant where 17D and 17E are currently being blocked. Row 17 also happens to have the bassinet. How would they go about requesting these seats? Can this be done over the phone or will it have to be done at the airport since they are blocked?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.