United.com charging elites for E+??

Old Jun 22, 19, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by onthesam View Post
@Silver Fox if you set currency/location to USA to USD does it come up?
Don't know, will try tomorrow.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Definitely a significant bug. I would be tempted to pass on the the USA DOT or UK Consumer Protection folks as the Large (incomplete) TOTAL and tiny + $$$ is problematic. There could be an issue with the mix currencies but that should not be your problem.
Yes, it is a little naughty I thought. I'll have a think about what to do tomorrow.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I would be tempted to pass on the the USA DOT or UK Consumer Protection folks as the Large (incomplete) TOTAL and tiny + $$$ is problematic.
I would not. The 1,000.02 is the legally mandated airfare + taxes total, and is presented very clearly.

There could be an issue with the mix currencies but that should not be your problem.
The only issue is how to present it, and United has presented it in the most logical and clear way possible.

I would say the only real issue here is getting charged for E+. Other than that, it all seems in order.
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I would not. The 1,000.02 is the legally mandated airfare + taxes total, and is presented very clearly.

The only issue is how to present it, and United has presented it in the most logical and clear way possible.

I would say the only real issue here is getting charged for E+. Other than that, it all seems in order.
Most people expect the line that reads "total" to be the total you are going to pay.

If it said "subtotal" or "airfare total" or "total before add-ons" then it would be logical and/or clear.
Silver Fox and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Most people expect the line that reads "total" to be the total you are going to pay.

If it said "subtotal" or "airfare total" or "total before add-ons" then it would be logical and/or clear.
In fairness the "total" text is in a much larger font than either of the numbers. To me it looks like it's referring to both numbers, not just the top one.

My only complaint would be that the "+xxx" is smaller than the first number, but it's not so small as to be easily missed. It's not fine print.

I don't see anything misleading there. You would have to have pretty poor eyesight to be able to see the top number but not the bottom one.
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:47 pm

United has had shopping cart problems in the past. A couple years ago it was turning E+ subscriptions in to United Club memberships between the cart and checkout. I thought I had gotten all the way through with it staying E+, until the receipt showed UC. It took an hour on the phone to get reversed and they pretended it was my browser (it was replicable under multiple browsers).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Well the plot does indeed thicken. Trying the exact same flight but using US/USD gives exactly what I expect, presented in a way where, as you should expect, TOTAL means TOTAL:

The taxes and fees are the normal taxes and fees I always see (ie. there is no E+ fee when I open the box to see the breakdown) and this is correct in both the TOTAL, and the price of the ticket I saw on previous screens when selecting flights.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jun 23, 19 at 2:22 am
Old Jun 23, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Use the app?
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Use the app?
I can't try this properly as the UK is not listed as a billing country I can select, only Guam, Puerto Rico, and US are selectable (I ran into this before which surprised me) but if I try using the US then it displays the same as the web does.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jun 23, 19 at 11:20 am Reason: Added "billing"
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Charging GS for seats in Economy Plus?

When I went to book a flight this afternoon, United app charged for Emergency Row and Economy Plus seats. The only seats that were free to select were Economy.

Is this a new policy? Has United gone certifiably crazy? Has Kirby already taken over with his nickeling and diming?
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Did you select basic economy.?

Other issue would be if you were not logged in.

Finally, if it did try charging, you probably just should have booked, then called in to select a seat.
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:48 pm

Not a GS, but I've had this happen when I tried to select E+ seats on the phone app. Moving to the laptop allowed me to select them for free.
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I am signed in. I selected upgrading using points in Advanced Search. it's really a head scratcher.
Old Dec 11, 19, 12:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MostlyUA View Post
When I went to book a flight this afternoon, United app charged for Emergency Row and Economy Plus seats. The only seats that were free to select were Economy. ...
This has been an on & off years over the years.

As others have mentioned, it can occur if not fully logged-in.
Also, others have needed to clear the browser cookies

and recently there was an issue with currency changes during the purchasing process due to billing country.

Is the problem presisting?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: