Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA872 TPE-SFO time change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by myperks
UA tpac crew stays a minimum of 24 hours at layover city (per my understanding and talking with crew friends) so 1310 has to do with immigration and customs availability in SF. No way they only rest less than 20 hours unless they double crew it.
I don't believe there is a 24-hour requirement. At least not legally. sCO crew consistently did faster turns than sUA crew. SFO-PVG 6p-to-12n-ish was the norm. Some craziest SFO-based sCO FAs even arrive SIN-SFO in the morning and voluntarily go right back SFO-SIN that night, and that was legal (not company scheduled, just swaps). sUA culture was much different, having longer outport rest periods. And double crewing/deadheading do not help shorten the rest requirement.

And as you pointed out, SFO CBP isn't opening late. So I bet no way SFO-TPE crew are resting 3 nights in TPE (locked up in a hotel room) and are most likely going back with the same aircraft after 20 hours. A few weeks ago SFO-TPE were diverted to GUM due to medical emergency, rested 16 hours and continued to TPE, and I bet that day the same crew operated TPE-SFO immediately afterward. Union agreements have most likely been adjusted due to foreign quarantine requirements.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I don't believe there is a 24-hour requirement. At least not legally. sCO crew consistently did faster turns than sUA crew. SFO-PVG 6p-to-12n-ish was the norm. Some craziest SFO-based sCO FAs even arrive SIN-SFO in the morning and voluntarily go right back SFO-SIN that night, and that was legal (not company scheduled, just swaps). sUA culture was much different, having longer outport rest periods. And double crewing/deadheading do not help shorten the rest requirement.

And as you pointed out, SFO CBP isn't opening late. So I bet no way SFO-TPE crew are resting 3 nights in TPE (locked up in a hotel room) and are most likely going back with the same aircraft after 20 hours. A few weeks ago SFO-TPE were diverted to GUM due to medical emergency, rested 16 hours and continued to TPE, and I bet that day the same crew operated TPE-SFO immediately afterward. Union agreements have most likely been adjusted due to foreign quarantine requirements.
​​​​​​That's the rest time and not the flight time?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu

considering the SFO-TPE flight went daily in early December and scheduled for daily going forward, why would the crew stay in Taipei for 3 nights?

EDITED: gone 5x weekly with schedule adjustment (not daily)

Last edited by myperks; Dec 28, 2020 at 11:03 am Reason: Edited to show adjustment to schedule that was mentioned
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​That's the rest time and not the flight time?
Yes, definitely less than 24 hours.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

considering the SFO-TPE flight went daily in early December and scheduled for daily going forward, why would the crew stay in Taipei for 3 nights?
You mean it went daily in December 2019?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
You mean it went daily in December 2019?
no... the flight as cancelled during covid and was brought back November 2020 at 3x weekly. Went daily in December 2020 and appears to be daily going forward like precovid. I was responding to HkCaGu on the 3 nights layover. If it daily, why would the crew stay 3 nights.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:14 am

no... the flight as cancelled during covid and was brought back November 2020 at 3x weekly. Went daily in December 2020 and appears to be daily going forward like precovid. I was responding to HkCaGu on the 3 nights layover. If it daily, why would the crew stay 3 nights.
UA to Taiwan is not back to Daily till Feb. 2021 or maybe later.. hen it does or if it goes to Daily, it will leave Taiwan at about 11am.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by inlandrev
UA to Taiwan is not back to Daily till Feb. 2021 or maybe later.. hen it does or if it goes to Daily, it will leave Taiwan at about 11am.
you are right, UA adjusted the January 2021 schedule to be 5x a week in January now (but was daily up until last week when I was searching tickets for CNY going there in mid January). Appears to still be daily in February 2021 and going forward as of right now.

regardless, most crews technically can still have the 2 night stay with 5x weekly although I’m not sure with covid times.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
you are right, UA adjusted the January 2021 schedule to be 5x a week in January now (but was daily up until last week when I was searching tickets for CNY going there in mid January). Appears to still be daily in February 2021 and going forward as of right now....
UA schedules for future months are fictional placeholders, especially for international routes. TPE resumed in November 2020 and have never been daily in reality. The January schedule was updated early Dec 2020 and the February schedule will probably be updated this coming weekend.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA schedules for future months are fictional placeholders, especially for international routes. TPE resumed in November 2020 and have never been daily in reality. The January schedule was updated early Dec 2020 and the February schedule will probably be updated this coming weekend.
understand. edited my response above.

I was very surprised they went from 3x weekly to daily parts of December and then went to 5x weekly. Been following this route religiously as many in my group of friends relocating to Taipei lately and in a FB group talking about this flight (And Taipei relocation) for the past month or so.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

............ Been following this route religiously as many in my group of friends relocating to Taipei lately and in a FB group talking about this flight (And Taipei relocation) for the past month or so.
Relocating to Taipei? Is it just to escape from pandemic?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
It's an excellent time to be in Taipei. COVID aside, the weather is great.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
yup... I have no less than 16 people that I can count from my group of friends (including about 5 with kids) that moved to Taiwan since September.

most work from home anyways and can work there. What amaze me are my friends that have kids also went back and enrolled them into local schools (maybe some in international school). I feel for those kids getting dumped into the Taiwan school school without a lot of mandarin background. Prices are cheap, everything is open, life is reasonably normal. Most are of Taiwanese descent.

apparently Taiwan also issues digital nomad visas with proof of income. I know about 7 people (of non-Taiwanese descent) awaiting for their digital nomad visas from the SF TECO.

I’m lucky to have an ARC so don’t need any visas or what not but 14 days in quarantine doesn’t sound too fun. Contemplating going back mid January and finish quarantine by end of January to catch the lunar new year festivities in February and maybe stay a month or two. Hoping for a dumbed down shortened version of quarantine with multiple tests (one can hope)
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Last edited by myperks; Dec 28, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:50 pm

yup... I have no less than 16 people that I can count from my group of friends (including about 5 with kids) that moved to Taiwan since September.

most work from home anyways and can work there. What amaze me are my friends that have kids also went back and enrolled them into local schools (maybe some in international school). I feel for those kids getting dumped into the Taiwan school school without a lot of mandarin background. Prices are cheap, everything is open, life is reasonably normal. Most are of Taiwanese descent.

apparently Taiwan also issues digital nomad visas with proof of income. I know about 7 people (of non-Taiwanese descent) awaiting for their digital nomad visas from the SF TECO.

I’m lucky to have an ARC so don’t need any visas or what not but 14 days in quarantine doesn’t sound too fun. Contemplating going back mid January and finish quarantine by end of January to catch the lunar new year festivities in February and maybe stay a month or two. Hoping for a dumbed down shortened version of quarantine with multiple tests (one can hope)
Doubtful 14 day quarantine will go away soon as locals here in Taiwan worry about recent news, see link below. There is some talk of 21 day version like in Hong Kong currently.

5 passengers on flight from UK arrive in Taiwan with fever, symptoms | Taiwan News | 2020/12/28
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by inlandrev
Doubtful 14 day quarantine will go away soon as locals here in Taiwan worry about recent news, see link below. There is some talk of 21 day version like in Hong Kong currently.

5 passengers on flight from UK arrive in Taiwan with fever, symptoms | Taiwan News | 2020/12/28
i said one can hope

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:47 pm Reason: Further discussion of Taiwan's quarantine belongs the destination forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.