Wiki Posts
Search

UA872 TPE-SFO time change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
lsquare - I agree. UA872 departs early and arrive s very early in the day I remember the flight arriving prior to SFO immigration opening! It demands an early check-out from your hotel in Taipei.
Exactly. I really hated that. I had no idea that it use to depart TPE later.

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
I love the bak kut teh at the SQ lounge, and I find it quieter than the PPs or BR *G lounge.
Did they serve beef noodle soup and chicken rice?

Doesn't UA872 depart at 11-ish in the winter months? United.com shows UA872 scheduled for 1:10pm departure.
What the heck? I just did a quick search for 872 and it departs TPE in the afternoon. Are you sure this isn’t a temporary pandemic departure time? Did it departed later during winter pre-COVID?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2020 at 11:41 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Doesn't UA872 depart at 11-ish in the winter months? United.com shows UA872 scheduled for 1:10pm departure.
Yes, you are certainly correct re current TPE departure time.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you are certainly correct re current TPE departure time.
This should be the new permanent departure time!
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Not that I recall of. If you want beef noodles and don't have access to the better BR lounges, the bigger PP (toward the A/D gates) is your best bet.

What the heck? I just did a quick search for 872 and it departs TPE in the afternoon. Are you sure this isn’t a temporary pandemic departure time? Did it departed later during winter pre-COVID?
872 has been departing at 11-ish in the winter months for at least a few years, but I think the 1pm departure is a pandemic thing.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that I recall of. If you want beef noodles and don't have access to the better BR lounges, the bigger PP (toward the A/D gates) is your best bet.
It’s been a while, but there are two PP lounges in T2 right? Yea, I do remember eating beef noodle soup at the PP lounge. I think they had like 4 different noodle soup. The food was not bad. Trust me, it was better than UA’s food.

872 has been departing at 11-ish in the winter months for at least a few years, but I think the 1pm departure is a pandemic thing.
Oh. I had no idea. That’s definitely better. Why move up the time outside of winter? 1 PM is so perfect...
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:21 am

It’s been a while, but there are two PP lounges in T2 right? Yea, I do remember eating beef noodle soup at the PP lounge. I think they had like 4 different noodle soup. The food was not bad. Trust me, it was better than UA’s food.
There are three Priority Pass lounges in T2 - two are Premium Plaza and the smaller one in the middle often run out of noodles (which is also temporarily closed due to COVID). Another one is Oriental Club that was opened in Feb this year. It's on the opposite side of the larger PP (toward B/C gates). Their website also shows beef noodles and the pictures look decent. Perhaps give it a try next time you depart from TPE
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are three Priority Pass lounges in T2 - two are Premium Plaza and the smaller one in the middle often run out of noodles. Another one is Oriental Club that was opened in Feb this year. It's on the opposite side of the larger PP (toward B/C gates). Their website also shows beef noodles and the pictures look decent. Perhaps give it a try next time you depart from TPE
They only have one photo showing their food. Looks good though. Have you been there yet?

Would a redeye TPE-SFO make any sense?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:48 am

They only have one photo showing their food. Looks good though. Have you been there yet?
I just learned about it 30 minutes ago, but I do plan to visit it next time I fly out of TPE. Heck, I plan to arrive 6 hours early and visit all the lounges I have access to

Would a redeye TPE-SFO make any sense?
Probably not, given TPE-SFO flights arrive about 4 to 5 hours earlier than they depart. BR does have redeye SFO-TPE though.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just learned about it 30 minutes ago, but I do plan to visit it next time I fly out of TPE. Heck, I plan to arrive 6 hours early and visit all the lounges I have access to
How do you intend to get there 6 hours early? If you take the train, I think the first one is slightly before 6 AM if I remember correctly. I wouldn't mind getting to TPE earlier just so that I can relax and have some food. I didn't sleep at all when I flew UA872. I just browsed the web until 5 AM and then proceed to leave the hotel. It was too early to get breakfast or anything at the hotel.

Probably not, given TPE-SFO flights arrive about 4 to 5 hours earlier than they depart. BR does have redeye SFO-TPE though.
If I'm going to pursue status with UA, I rather fly UA than BR.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:00 am

Anyone here applied for this? I gotta do this the next time I'm back at TPE.
Easiest way to get through TPE is with an APEC card for both immigration and security. If you have global entry, just tack it on.

lsquare - I agree. UA872 departs early and arrives very early in the day I remember the flight arriving prior to SFO immigration opening! It demands an early check-out from your hotel in Taipei.
And when the TLV and India flights arrive around the same time and on hold until customs open, it’s like 1000 passengers all unleashed into the arrival hall at the same time.

I love the bak kut teh at the SQ lounge, and I find it quieter than the PPs or BR *G lounges.

Departure from TPE typicall is around 10am or 11am depending on daylight savings time. I do see 110p departures in the next few days.

Taipei PP lounge has beef noodle and sometimes chicken rice. I do prefer the food at SQ over BR or PP at TPE.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The first airport train arrives TPE T2 at 6:39, which should give you plenty of time airside even if you don't have access to the e-gates (especially these days). I would recommend the food at SQ lounge over the PP if you haven't tried it before.
Oh? It didn’t crossed my mind. Much better food at the SQ lounge? I would still prefer a later departure time.
I love the bak kut teh at the SQ lounge, and I find it quieter than the PPs or BR *G lounges.
I'll second that. As a lifetime United Club member, I had access to the SQ SilverKris Lounge in late February 2020. My wife, young adult son, and I had a wonderful time at the almost empty (COVID-19 onset) lounge before our flight UA872 at 11:35, feasting on the delicious repast for over four hours — after arriving from MNL on BR262 at 06:00.
The beef noodle soup was delicious! I believe I enjoyed chicken rice, too, but there were so many good things that I could not yet testify in court as to that, though I am becoming more certain with greater reminiscence.

Oh. I had no idea. That’s definitely better. Why move up the time outside of winter? 1 PM is so perfect...
SFO (and the whole U.S. west coast) changes from Pacific Standard Time to Pacific Daylight Time the first Sunday in March.
There are three Priority Pass lounges in T2 - two are Premium Plaza and the smaller one in the middle often run out of noodles (which is also temporarily closed due to COVID). Another one is Oriental Club that was opened in Feb this year. It's on the opposite side of the larger PP (toward B/C gates). Their website also shows beef noodles and the pictures look decent. Perhaps give it a try next time you depart from TPE
How do you intend to get there 6 hours early? If you take the train, I think the first one is slightly before 6 AM if I remember correctly. I wouldn't mind getting to TPE earlier just so that I can relax and have some food. I didn't sleep at all when I flew UA872. I just browsed the web until 5 AM and then proceed to leave the hotel. It was too early to get breakfast or anything at the hotel.

If I'm going to pursue status with UA, I rather fly UA than BR.
Be sure to at least check out the SQ lounge if you have access. 🙂
Originally Posted by myperks
Departure from TPE typicall is around 10am or 11am depending on daylight savings time. I do see 110p departures in the next few days. Taipei PP lounge has beef noodle and sometimes chicken rice. I do prefer the food at SQ over BR or PP at TPE.
Me, too, even though I have never been to the others. Bonv°y!
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Dec 19, 2020 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I believe UA crew normally rest two nights but due to COVID quarantine it may have become one night hence the later departure time.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I believe UA crew normally rest two nights but due to COVID quarantine it may have become one night hence the later departure time.
Really? I saw the same crew on SFO-TPE and back.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Really? I saw the same crew on SFO-TPE and back.
How many nights did you spend in TPE and when did you fly (pre-COVID or now)?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
How many nights did you spend in TPE and when did you fly (pre-COVID or now)?
I think it was one night. I've already stated that this was pre-COVID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.