Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App boarding pass does not update. Gate, boarding time, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Known problem with BPs on UA's app, if the gate is changed the BP displayed gate is not real-time updated.

Best to check Flight Status on the app or online, or check the airport displays.
Print Wikipost

App boarding pass does not update. Gate, boarding time, ...

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by alaroia
One of my neighbors works for United IT here in Houston. This is a known problem. I've had it since the early days as well. Once the boarding pass is in apple wallet it does not automatically update. The boarding pass in the app will also not automatically update when changes are made. You have to manually refresh the boarding pass in the app and it will then update the BP in the wallet and if you have notifications turned on, you will get a notification. All great, EXCEPT for the fact that YOU have to manually update the boarding pass. I fly American and Delta and their apps automatically sync BPs even those in apple wallet. I've gotten into the MO of checking the monitors as soon as I clear security to see which gate to head to.
While I agree that the wallet doesn't always update with new gate information it is completely false to say it will not automatically update and you have to always do it manually. My wallet boarding pass has updated automatically several times and each time it notifies me of the change. Then when I open the new boarding pass it has a circle around the new gate.

Does it always do it? Nope it sure doesn't so I always check either the terminal monitors or the flight status page. The flight status page hasn't let me down yet in hundreds of flights.

Even though it isn't perfect if there is one thing United does well... that is their mobile app. AA's mobile app is about as useless as the pre-merger "United app".
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Why don't gate assignments automatically update on app? and website!

Has anyone noticed that your electronic boarding pass on your phone likely says that the gate is not yet assigned (the gate that WAS assigned at check in) but when you go further and check the flight status, it is actually assigned or changed? Why dont the boarding passes auto-update?

As well, even on the ual website... the tile that shows you your upcoming flight also says it's not assigned.... click check status, and it actually is.

Especially at IAH.... I've checked in, gone to the airport and ended up in the wrong terminal before.

Seems like an easy deal to fix!!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I always end up checking the flight status pretty frequently on day of flight, anyway, and IME, its up to date there.

For my BPs, I use wallet (iPhone), and even the info. there only seems to update sparadically..maybe every few hours. Even forcing an update doesn't always work...for example, for upgrades given at the gate, I find that I have to take the paper pass, because sometimes the update doesn't take, even if I try to force update it.

Surely annoying, but the app is mostly pretty good.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Hi,

I searched both the forum and via google.
Has anyone had the problem with boarding passes disappearing out of Apple Wallet? I check in, get the BP saved to the wallet, gone to the airport, and then found the one or more of them are no longer in the wallet! This last time it was ABQ-DEN, DEN-DCA. I took screen shots of both of them from Wallet, but while I was standing in line to board ABQ-DEN, I noticed that both of them were no longer in my Apple Wallet! Is this an iOS issue or a UA issue?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:51 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1758453-app-boarding-pass-does-not-update-wrong-gate-5.html#

Yes, this happened last week to me. I flew ORD-DEN and DEN-ORD same day turn. The return disappeared from the wallet. I generally always take a picture of my online boarding pass as I've had this problem occur before. I do use iPhone.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
IME, the United app is the last place that gets updated about gate changes. TripCase and FlightView both give me gate updates before the United app. At ORD, I had the United app change me from one terminal to another and then back to the original terminal.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD
Phantom Gate Change Notifications (Mileageplus App)

Issue: United* app & online gate check (Google) gave me a false gate (D1 instead of D26) in the middle of boarding.
Resolution: Confirmed on a flight the next day, all is well except I'm in a middle seat.

Backstory: I screwed up my times (thought boarding time was flight time) and found myself rushing to the gate. As I was on the "mobile lounge" from the terminal to D gates, about 5 minutes after the posted boarding time, I got an app notification that my gate was changed from D26 to D1. I then checked the internet and it confirmed gate D1. So I bum rush to D1 to find it completely empty. I meander over to a high C20's gate and confirm the gate... and she tells me it's (still) D26. I miss my flight and get rebooked. Let me just say that I know I made some critical mistakes, so this isn't me trying to throw all of the blame on UA. It didn't help that I was at the Five Guys in the B gates needing to get to D1/D26.

Primary question: Is this a known issue? Has anyone experienced something similar?
Second question: I went running to a gate agent to ask them to call ahead and tell them that I was coming. She basically ignored me and told me that she can't/isn't supposed to do that. I've seen them do this before and she was quite surly otherwise. What's the story?

Edit: I wrongly called it the mileageplus app. It's the official United app for android.

Last edited by ahiromu; Dec 22, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
had issues with my app not updating when there a last minute gate change.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What app? There is a United app but not a MileagePlus app. And I'd trust the company website over what Google returns.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
had issues with my app not updating when there a last minute gate change.
See that would make more sense, but I don't think this gate ever changed. The incoming flight had landed hours before, so it was kind of stupid for me to think we had a last minute gate change without looking into it more. I was in a hurry, so corners were cut in my logic.

Originally Posted by sbm12
What app? There is a United app but not a MileagePlus app. And I'd trust the company website over what Google returns.
Misnamed it. It's the official United app. Company website is a good note, thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can you better identify what tools you were using?
The United smart phone app? (You answered the offical app)
Were you looking at the BP o the app or Flight Status?
What were you googling?
I-phone / wallet or Andriod?

What were the airport display reporting?

There are some know issues with BPs updating but hard to tell what you were replying on?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Can you better identify what tools you were using?
The United smart phone app? (You answered the offical app)
Were you looking at the BP o the app or Flight Status?
What were you googling?
I-phone / wallet or Andriod?

What were the airport display reporting?

There are some know issues with BPs updating but hard to tell what you were replying on?
Android United app (Official one). My boarding pass was on this and had updated to D1 in addition to the notification.
I was simply googling my flight number: UA326 (this legitimately was my flight). Google has a little autoformat that comes up when you plug that in. I can say with 99% certainty that it agreed with the app saying D1 (at that time, it was green which means changed).
I did not check the airport display. I was in a hurry and after having both the app and Google tell me D1, I trusted them implicitly. This was an error.

Effectively, both the app and Google told me the gate had changed when nothing had changed at all.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:11 pm

I wish I had taken a screenshot of my incorrect BP, but it has since updated (again, BP was on phone). I had other things on my mind at the time.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ahiromu
Android United app (Official one). My boarding pass was on this and had updated to D1 in addition to the notification.
I was simply googling my flight number: UA326 (this legitimately was my flight). Google has a little autoformat that comes up when you plug that in. I can say with 99% certainty that it agreed with the app saying D1 (at that time, it was green which means changed).
The gates on BPs do not properly update. Use the UA app's Flight Status instead it is more accurate. Googling the flight number is problematic in a real-time situation due to caching.

Use Flight Status on the UA app or online or use the airport display -- any other approach can lead to stale data.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yes. You can't always trust the app. I have had it display out of date gate information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.