Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App boarding pass does not update. Gate, boarding time, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Known problem with BPs on UA's app, if the gate is changed the BP displayed gate is not real-time updated.

Best to check Flight Status on the app or online, or check the airport displays.
Print Wikipost

App boarding pass does not update. Gate, boarding time, ...

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Good to know. I gave up on the app because it kept crashing. I started taking screen shots instead but it gets annoying after an while. I'm back to paper because it seems to be the most reliable part in the UA IT system so far.
I'm surprised to hear that. I've been using the app since its early days as the Continental app, and haven't had anything like that. It's been very stable - in fact one of the most stable apps on my iPhone.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Houston IT. Known problem. Fix it.
If only it was that easy - so many problems, so few fixes, so much for being a flier friendly airline.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:47 am

Good to know. I gave up on the app because it kept crashing. I started taking screen shots instead but it gets annoying after an while. I'm back to paper because it seems to be the most reliable part in the UA IT system so far.
I was on NRT - ORD, UA 882. The paper boarding pass I have shows departure timing at 5.30pm. I was at the ANA lounge and very far from the gate. I checked the screens at 4.45pm, thinking I have some time to go do some shopping first before a leisure walk to the gate. The flight has been changed to departure at 5.15pm, I thought flights can only be delayed and not brought forward?

I've set up push notifications on the app too, nothing came up. I've been checking the app, it shows 5.30pm departure, but not the screens until quite last minute.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:10 am

Aren't we relying too much on technology to the point where we lose our second nature state of mind by looking up at the Flight Informaiton Displays, Untied Club Agents, Customer Service Counters, the 800 number and even United.Com in case one doesn't work there must be some redundancy that we can rely on.

While its frustrating that the app displays the wrong info there is some verbage stating to check flight monitors in the airport for an update. If we all relied on our Smartphones to show us the right gate and it was wrong there would be a lot of missed flights and connections.

I will double check the information by simply walking up to a gate agent with a United sign who does not look too busy and will say"Excuse Me Sir/Madam but would you happen to know which gate will United XXX Operate out of?

I am sure you will get onto the plane somehow. And remember gates are subject to change at any time for any reason. Be on the lookout(:

I will check the monitors whether in the lounge or in the concourse 25 minutes before boarding and listen to the PA for any gate change announcements as sometimes these are announced much before the airport has had a chance to update it on the FDIS. Remember if you see the entire people flock out of the gate area for your flight there has been a gate change. Just follow the passengers to the new gate.

OTHOH couldn't the OP just"refresh" the app to update it with the latest info. I think there should be an automatic refresh set at intervals that you can program or at the very least an "Update FLIFO Button" that you press to get the latest gate info.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
The mobile BPs do seem to have trouble refreshing, even if manually done.

I think of it like a paper boarding pass though, if I printed one out and then the gate changed, I wouldn't expect the boarding pass to be correct.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
The first thing I do when an app is acting flakey is to make sure I have my login information and quit the app https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330 . If that doesn't work then do a force reset https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559 . If that doesn't work next I delete and reload the app https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205347 (no configuration file with United app). If you cannot perform any of these steps your system file may need to be restored.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Multiple sources - check and check again!

I also use Tripit Pro as another source of gate and connection information. Well worth the $49 annual investment IMO. Generally if I walk by a monitor I will take the extra 10-60 secs to glance at the current flight status and gate info.

Have never had a problem with the app boarding pass updating gates... that I know of. Then again I don't rely on it as my only source of gate and boarding info.

Iphone Passport boarding passes don't seem to update so I've given up adding them and just take the time to open my UA app when at an airport.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by lainys
I also use Tripit Pro as another source of gate and connection information. Well worth the $49 annual investment IMO. Generally if I walk by a monitor I will take the extra 10-60 secs to glance at the current flight status and gate info.

Have never had a problem with the app boarding pass updating gates... that I know of. Then again I don't rely on it as my only source of gate and boarding info.

Iphone Passport boarding passes don't seem to update so I've given up adding them and just take the time to open my UA app when at an airport.
The boarding pass still gets you on the plane. I like having more than one place to access my pass on my phone. I have the paper pass in my pack.

I've had times when the displays at the airport were wrong: wrong gate; no gate for flight.

Ten days ago I had the alert tell me upon landing the gate had changed to C16 at ORD. Great next to the GFL. Relaxed for a couple of hours, checked the boarding pass and was told C30. Checked the alerts: C30. Walked down to C30 empty. Asked the GA at C31 where I should be: C16. Checked the flight status on the website: C16. (yes my fault)

I've noticed this several times before: the information on the website is more current than the app even after refreshing. In particular checkin. I normally can checkin more than 30 min on the website than the app. 30 minutes is a long long time in computer years.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I'm surprised to hear that. I've been using the app since its early days as the Continental app, and haven't had anything like that. It's been very stable - in fact one of the most stable apps on my iPhone.
Originally Posted by Michael D
The first thing I do when an app is acting flakey is to make sure I have my login information and quit the app
To be exact I've been having issues with the United app from my Note 3 to the Note 5 now. (Android)

The app force closes by itself and I have to try to re-open it a lot.

After the app crashed on me right when I was about to scan my BP for boarding, I started taking SS. It was embarrassing.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:35 pm

To be exact I've been having issues with the United app from my Note 3 to the Note 5 now. (Android)

After the app crashed on me right when I was about to scan my BP for boarding, I started taking SS. It was embarrassing.
That's really bad. I've never had the app crash at boarding. When an update was flakey I took snap shots.

Is/was your phone stressed re memory?
Old May 9, 2016, 9:52 pm

That's really bad. I've never had the app crash at boarding. When an update was flakey I took snap shots.

Is/was your phone stressed re memory?
Nope I had plenty of memory. The UA app still crashes today here and there. Phone has 64gb and I haven't even used half of it so it can't be.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:02 pm

Nope I had plenty of memory. The UA app still crashes today here and there. Phone has 64gb and I haven't even used half of it so it can't be.

I re-read your previous message. What you described was not a force quit. You might want to follow the procedures I outlined above if you are interested in using the app.

Another thing to consider is the phone itself may have a problem. If it is still under warranty a trip to the Apple Store might be warranted. I and my wife have many iPhones from 4s to 6s. No problems with the app. In my company dozens no such problem.

Sorry. Really it is a nice app, much nicer than any other airline's app, and is getting better (despite my complaints).
Old May 9, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: 1 thousand

The Android App is quite crashy for me too (consistent across multiple devices, from Android 4 to 6, from Samsung to Nexuses) - but only when restoring app state. I.e. if I look at a booking / select seats / etc, then switch apps, and return to UA, it might crash while restoring (the app starts, I can see it start to load something, followed by a crash). Starting from scratch (including after force-killing the app) always works, and I don't think I've had a crash during "normal use".

These sorts of crashes usually aren't hard to fix, but they'd need to be looking at their crash reports to fix them...

I also rarely use the BP in the app, but if I do, then I do a preemptive force-kill before opening it (I have the united widget on my home screen which lets you go directly to the BP).
Old May 9, 2016, 10:28 pm

Sorry. Really it is a nice app, much nicer than any other airline's app, and is getting better (despite my complaints).
Originally Posted by televisor
The Android App is quite crashy for me too (consistent across multiple devices, from Android 4 to 6, from Samsung to Nexuses) - but only when restoring app state. I.e. if I look at a booking / select seats / etc, then switch apps, and return to UA, it might crash while restoring (the app starts, I can see it start to load something, followed by a crash). Starting from scratch (including after force-killing the app) always works, and I don't think I've had a crash during "normal use".
No doubt this is an decent app for an airline. But apps are too go nowadays in comparison (non-airline related).

I'm the kind of person that always gets the worse luck from raffle drawing to bad timings, etc. For example app crashing during boarding.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:09 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We all know UA is going backwards in technology. Yesterday at ORD look at boarding pass on app. Shows F6. Walk to F6 and no flight for MKE. Check flight status on app and it shows F2. Walk to F2 where flight is actually departing from. With hope all these bugs will start to get fixed.

By the way. The app boarding pass never corrected even after refreshing at F2 gate. I boarded with my app boarding pass showing F6.

actually when it comes to mobile and the day of travel experience i'd say ua is ahead of every airline, unless there's an airline i don't know of that shows seatmaps, upgrade list, waitlist, can process sdcs, etc?

always check the gates on the fids at the airport, not your boarding pass

another one for least substantive ua related complaints

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.