Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:42 am

Form over function?

Any changes should add functionality, not remove it.

When a new site is rolled out, the default should be that all the functionality of the old site is retained. If the interface could be "streamlined", fine, but there should always be the option for some sort of "expert" mode to give added functionality.

I use a mouse and keyboard, not a touchscreen. I don't care about fancy tiles that grow and shrink in size when you click them. These only make the page load more slowly. I want a site that allows me to easily search many flight options, along the lines of ITA Matrix or Google Flights.

Though the old site was far from perfect, it was more functional than the new one, and I am sad to see it go. I have been unable to log in to the new site this morning. I called the web support, and I was told that my issue is not isolated.

From another standpoint: If a customer cannot log in to the site to book tickets, how will United get that revenue?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I don't understand why more Flyertalkers and bloggers aren't up in arms over the loss of the nonstop award calendar from the old site to the new site.

I find it dead useful in piecing together award flights. It's a massive step backwards IMHO.
Any workarounds to this yet or is this another transparent act by United to head towards dynamic award pricing?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Any workarounds to this yet or is this another transparent act by United to head towards dynamic award pricing?
The removal of the Economy saver column seems like a transparent move towards removal of the award charts and a move to dynamic pricing. But then I wonder why business and first still have saver columns?

However for the life of me I can't understand why United would want to remove the ability to view a nonstop award calendar. And yet while I hope it's a bug it's yet to show up as something that's going to be fixed.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
OMG yes - this is exactly what I have experienced MANY times - the inconsistency between the two is infuriating.... Something so simple shouldn't be so hard....
I found the same issue between the current UA site and the new one.

I logged into the new site to see if it would return better search results on flights and it turned out to display fewer results/less options.

I readily admit not spending a lot of time tweaking with it to see if I could get better results, but it was a pretty simple search and something I wouldn't expect to have to fiddle with.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by KPHX
Still can't book legs split economy/business cabins. Very disappointing. No chance in hell seeing that feature come back, is there? Believe it or not, it was a key selling point for UA, at least for me.
I had used that previous feature as well. On the new site, you can get some of that functionality back by simply searching economy and then selecting the business cabin segments at a higher price.

This seems to work for all segments in each direction. If you want to do it on a per-segment basis, it seems possible using multi-city.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by agpt
I had used that previous feature as well. On the new site, you can get some of that functionality back by simply searching economy and then selecting the business cabin segments at a higher price.
So it actually provides the same info as the old site, without requiring the user to specify that they want the mixed cabin service, right? That's a good thing, isn't it??
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:39 pm

Any changes should add functionality, not remove it.
The new site does add some functionality, as I noticed when I was finally able to log in. This is a step in the right direction; thanks United.

However, there are a few things (pointed out here and on other blogs) that could be added back in for expert users / frequent fliers / profitable customers.

Originally Posted by sbm12
So it actually provides the same info as the old site, without requiring the user to specify that they want the mixed cabin service, right? That's a good thing, isn't it??
It's probably good from United's perspective, because it makes the upsell easier. This is similar to the functionality that the mobile app provided for some time. It think it's a wash from the consumer side.

One thing that's missing is the PQM and actual flight miles on a per segment basis. It seems to show the total accrual, but it's not immediately obvious what <500 mile segments were rounded up, etc. That can make a difference, especially with the 1.5 multiplier for premium fares.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:36 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I am concerned this kind of functionality will go away with the "new" site. The current "old" site is very useful for types of searches you describe.
+1 I used this last week and found the exact same problems irritating for the time wasted. I spent too much time going back and forth between old and new sites.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by KPHX
Still can't book legs split economy/business cabins. Very disappointing. No chance in hell seeing that feature come back, is there? Believe it or not, it was a key selling point for UA, at least for me.
+1, especially on long haul international where I'm needed 3 or more connections, often using a partner carrier for one.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
Premium cabin meal choice (like AA has) would be a welcome function...
Yes! Wouldn't this also make catering easier on their end?

Or they should go back to prioritizing those on full fare tickets first.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF
Premium cabin meal choice (like AA has) would be a welcome function...
I really like that feature on AA, EXCEPT... that I also very much like the SDC policy on UA.

Unless someone can figure this out, you have to give up one for the other (on AA, you must make your final order at T-24, AFAIK).

Given these choices, I would rather UA retain the current SDC policy.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive Elite), mlife (Platinum)
Really liking the new UAL site. Would love to see the integration of mystatus.united.com with the new site, though.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:29 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by sbm12
Should be available via the full search options page at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli.../book-a-flight.
Thanks for posting this, but I get an error when I try using the my dates are flexible option. For example, my dates are flexible SFO-LHR Sep 23, 2015 8 day trip with Mileage Plus upgrade selected, the site will display a calendar of fares, but when one goes and clicks on a specific date, the following error message occurs on the following page, "No flight schedule could be retrieved using your search criteria. Please use the form below to start a new search."

I hope there is a way to get this through to United's IT Department, so it can be fixed.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Thanks for posting this, but I get an error when I try using the my dates are flexible option. For example, my dates are flexible SFO-LHR Sep 23, 2015 8 day trip with Mileage Plus upgrade selected, the site will display a calendar of fares, but when one goes and clicks on a specific date, the following error message occurs on the following page, "No flight schedule could be retrieved using your search criteria. Please use the form below to start a new search."
Which specific date did you try? I just did the exact same search and it worked fine.

Or this is one of the inconsistent bugs on the site.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't care about fancy tiles that grow and shrink in size when you click them. These only make the page load more slowly. I want a site that allows me to easily search many flight options, along the lines of ITA Matrix or Google Flights.
Agree 100%. Those who wish to "oooh" and "aaaah" over color and design should book a flight to MXP and get a seat by the runway (def. 2).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.