Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Optimal eat/drink/sleep strategy for 10pm IAD-LHR in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optimal eat/drink/sleep strategy for 10pm IAD-LHR in J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by QBK
Well, the scheduling doesn't really have anything to do with my employer (or me). I'm giving invited talks at two scientific conferences on different continents that actually overlap (one is M-W, the other is W-F). Both conferences involve 40+ people, so they weren't scheduled for my convenience. The organizers were considerate enough to put my slots on Monday and Friday (respectively), so if I really needed to I could probably crash on Wednesday, but then I'd miss out on the other speakers' talks.

So, no blame here, I think. The circumstances are what they are, and my goal is to maximize my utility within those constraints. I suppose in a fantasy world I could be in paid J, but that's more or less nonexistent in academia. The conference budget can't even fully reimburse my $1600 TATL coach ticket.
Oh now I understand...we are in the same sort of business so been there a few times. The difficulty (and strength) is in knowing when to say "No" to some invitations as opposed to accepting a rigorous travel schedule.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:51 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
b
Originally Posted by QBK

I'm thinking that my best use of available resources here is:
1. Get to IAD early, head to the LH lounge, pig out on food and booze, shower.
2. Return to C/D terminal, board UA flight, take a sleeping pill as soon as the doors close.
3. Skip the meal service, crank my seat down and conk out (earplugs and eyeshades) as soon as wheels are up. Ask not to be woken up for breakfast.
4. Hit the LHR Arrivals Lounge for breakfast, coffee, and a shower before getting on the train in London.
i'm down with this. especially the drinking and pigging out in the lounge. but with small outstation lounges be aware that food options diminish significantly at and after flight departures so make sure you time your visit with whatever lh departure

for me benedryl or advil night take 90 minutes to set in

i dunno about you but unless i'm exhausted i fall asleep best when winding down

so i pop them during pre-drink (boarding)

enjoy first service and watch some stories

ask for express dinner (all on one plate)

and i'll be barely able to hold my fork by the end of it

i always ask them to wake me for breakfast, that way i get the option and i can tell em to f-off if i want to sleep more
but skipping that for the ua arrivals lounge is smart, i like that.

---
edit:
oh i see you're in Y

obviously you can't get an express meal in y, but if you order a special meal you'll definitely get it first. maybe just order a veg or vegan meal, it's fresher than anything meaty anyways.
and all you get is boxed wine and beer, so yeah, during us-eu flights in y i just get wasted in the lounge

skip all meals and pop your advil night in the lounge (and hope for no delay). but you will be hungry for breakfast

but food in the lhr united club is great
mimosas and eggs baby
dunno how you'll get into arrivals lounge if in y and not global service

Last edited by cur; Apr 5, 2016 at 6:57 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
You face the distinct possibility of a sub-6 hour flight. That's not enough time to bother with sleep. Isn't FT for people who enjoy flying? So enjoy it. It is only United, but it's still J class.

I recommend:

1) Pre-departure bubbly
2) Switch your AVOD to the James Bond section and watch the movies in order, starting with "Dr. No"
3) Each time you hear "Oh James!" or "Shaken not stirred," order yourself another drink
4) See if you can make it to the Roger Moore movies

I flew LHR->SFO last weekend. They had a surprisingly good red wine (for United). See if you can find out which one it is, if necessary by sampling all the J wines and then politely hinting to the FA that you might like to try the F wines too.

Anyhow, do this and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Skip food on-board.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
You face the distinct possibility of a sub-6 hour flight. That's not enough time to bother with sleep. Isn't FT for people who enjoy flying? So enjoy it. It is only United, but it's still J class.

I recommend:

1) Pre-departure bubbly
2) Switch your AVOD to the James Bond section and watch the movies in order, starting with "Dr. No"
3) Each time you hear "Oh James!" or "Shaken not stirred," order yourself another drink
4) See if you can make it to the Roger Moore movies

I flew LHR->SFO last weekend. They had a surprisingly good red wine (for United). See if you can find out which one it is, if necessary by sampling all the J wines and then politely hinting to the FA that you might like to try the F wines too.

Anyhow, do this and you'll be fine.
Amazing post!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I was a one-time regular on this flight. Lots of suggestions here to skip the meal and get to sleep. Many people definitely did this on the flight but I always found it a struggle: first, because I came from the mountain time zone it was still only 8 pm at take-off and second, because all of the lights and noise from the meal service tended to make it hard to actually sleep. If you are able to overcome those, I'd highly recommend the extra sleep, but I always found myself enjoying the meal and then sleeping once service was complete.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Were it me, I would get to IAD with enough time to enjoy dinner and wine at VinoVolo.
Once on board, sip a little champagne, and get everything arranged. Skip the dinner, and after wheels up, go brush your teeth, take the sleep aid, and hit the hay. Ask not to be awakened for breakfast.

At LHR, shower at the lounge.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Were it me, I would get to IAD with enough time to enjoy dinner and wine at VinoVolo.
Once on board, sip a little champagne, and get everything arranged. Skip the dinner, and after wheels up, go brush your teeth, take the sleep aid, and hit the hay. Ask not to be awakened for breakfast.

At LHR, shower at the lounge.
Couldn't agree more but Chef Geoff's is another dinner option.

I appreciate all of the advice about waiting to pop a pill. Last time on this flight I took a pill after boarding with my PDB and passed out within 10 minutes of takeoff and woke up on approach to LHR.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And leave your shoes on for at least 2 minutes after takeoff too.
I thought I was the only one who did that!

'tis a shame not to take full advantage of J, but in the circumstances you're either losing sleep or losing food. Sounds like the better way to go is to lose food (on the plane).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Maybe wait until wheels are up or at least pushing back until you pop the pill? Last thing you'd want to do is end up getting cancelled at the gate for maintenance and you end up having to get carried off
Ahh memories.....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ral-crime.html
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by QBK
Thanks for all the good suggestions! I haven't heard anybody suggest "Drink six double bourbons and a gallon of Freshpoo as soon as you get on board, then spend the entire flight watching kung fu movies and doing yoga in the aisles!" so at least I think I'm on the right track here.
Funny you should say that... my employer virtually never springs for J, but did on one trip on that route because of very important meeting. I was with friend/colleague on the upper deck (aaaah...), our boss was on main. As we headed up she said "get as much sleep as possible."

I said to friend "hell with that, let's drink as much champagne as possible."

We had a tough next day. But totally worth it.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:01 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Thought I'd close the loop on this, for posterity's sake if nothing else, now that it's done.

I hybridized a lot of the advice on here, including my own, with one creative twist.

Step 1: So, there was a conference dinner 24 hours before flight. With free and excellent wine. Of which I drank a lot, until about 1am. Which meant that on the day of the flight, I (1) was awfully tired, and (2) had absolutely no desire to drink very much alcohol.

Step 2: Had a pretty good dinner before going to the airport. No booze.

Step 3: Hit the LH lounge for a light snack, 3 gummy bears, and 1 shower beer. (Hey, they had a decent local IPA!)

Step 4: Boarded, changed immediately into sleep-enhancing clothes, accepted a glass of PDB wine, and told the FA I was going straight to sleep. From what I could tell, this was a great crew, and the purser personally came over to try and persuade me to order dinner anyway. I allowed that if they managed to serve me dinner before I could fall asleep, I'd eat it. Flight time, BTW, was announced as 6.5 hours.

Step 5: Took a sleepy pill at push-back. Cranked seat back immediately after takeoff. Watched about 25 minutes of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", during which some warm nuts and another glass of wine arrived. Got sleepy, cranked my seat down, and was out before anybody could inflict dinner on me.

Step 6: Slept for about 4 hours. Woke up to use the bathroom, and before I managed to lay down again, the FAs pounced and tried to serve me breakfast. I managed to get away with just a glass of orange juice, although when I said all I wanted to do was sleep, the FA went all sad kitten eyes and said "But you haven't had anything!" I thought she was maybe going to cry if I didn't at least have some juice, so I chugged the juice and went back to sleep for 45 minutes.

Step 7: Woke up, watched another 15 minutes of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", landed, went to Arrivals Lounge, had 7 double espressos, a shower, and eggs Benedict before catching the coach to my destination.

SUMMARY: Maximizing sleep is the right approach to this flight, but if you have a good crew it can be hard because they really want to serve you food and booze. Skipping the UA breakfast in favor of the Arrivals Lounge is 100% the correct choice -- the Arrivals Lounge has a cook-to-order menu and good coffee. However, eating a real dinner before takeoff was also a good choice (the LH spread was underwhelming, and while it made a good snack, it wouldn't have been a satisfying dinner).

OBSERVATION: Both J and Y were only about 50% full -- not only on this flight, but on my return (LHR-EWR). I don't think I've ever seen J that empty! It was fantastic for me, since I got a window/aisle pair all to myself both directions, but I'm still sort of shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.