Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryman554
I know of the one in T1. Where is the one in T2? Is it also a *A lounge?
After baggage claim and customs, turn left and the arrival lounge is on your left. It is not a *A lounge but in addition to United, it will be used by arriving AC and SA passengers as before.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Combine consecutive posts of same member.

Hi everyone - hope this is the correct forum (still learning my way): I have a flight in October GVA - LHR - SFO. My layover in London is 2 hrs & 10 minutes. My flight from Geneva and my flight to SF are both at Terminal 2. Is this enough time? I figure I won't have to deal with picking up & reChecking in my luggage so that should help. Any input appreciated. Thank you

Part 2:apologies, should've also noted that my flight from Geneva is Swissair while flight to SF is United. Thanks

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 9, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:20 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ARR72
Hi everyone - hope this is the correct forum (still learning my way): I have a flight in October GVA - LHR - SFO. My layover in London is 2 hrs & 10 minutes. My flight from Geneva and my flight to SF are both at Terminal 2. Is this enough time? I figure I won't have to deal with picking up & reChecking in my luggage so that should help. Any input appreciated. Thank you

Part 2:apologies, should've also noted that my flight from Geneva is Swissair while flight to SF is United. Thanks
If you are travelling on or after 15 October your SWISS (Swissair no longer exists) flight should arrive in T2. Until 14 October SWISS will be using T1.

It shouldn't make much difference as the two terminals are connected. Just follow the purple Flight Connections signs. You will need to clear security but your baggage can be checked through to SFO. 2 hrs 10 mins should be long enough for this connection.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you moderator for combining my posts.

Yes NewbieRunner, SWISS - thank you that puts my mind at ease, very helpful & greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
United first airline from LHR T2

I just completed two trips involving UA T2 arrival to T5 IB. Then T5 IB to UA T2. As others have stated, transferring TO T2 is a massive walk. It was all rather ridiculous with boarding pass in hand but having to go through document inspection and a second giant walk to the United Club. At least 15 minutes. A bit of a ghost town at the moment, obviously but it's filling up (Aer Lingus just moved in).

United Club LHR T2: Where. On. Earth. Am. I. This. Cannot. Be. A. United. Club. !!!

Seriously, it's excellent. No dragons in sight - friendly greeting upon entry. I heard them turn away a Priority Pass holder for he had the wrong card but it was politely and respectfully done.

Inside the decor is beautiful - there's ample non alcoholic drink stations, the bar is actually beautiful and the food are offered great options including sandwiches, pasta, etc. Well done UA on this investment; I'm still a bit shocked!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I am in the T2 Club right now. It is now my favorite UA Club world wide...IMO beats HKG and NRT which were my two faves before. The bar is tended and everything is free...they've even got signature cocktails.

The decor is excellent..really decent food...soups (today minted pea, and a squash soup), eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, wraps, sandwiches, self serve soft drinks and juices...they've even got several flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegar for dipping bread or for seasoning your food or dressing your salad. Power ports everywhere. It's bright and spacious with good tarmac views. Showers available..I'm not using them today but they've got em.

The people have been friendly and welcoming...most everyone on this board including myself always says about genuine UA enhancements "it's nice but if only they could have...".. but I've got nothing negative to say about this Club. Good job United.

It is indeed a long walk from the main terminal 2 to (which is also really nice) to the B gates..they have signs saying to allow 15 minutes AFTER you clear security. I'm a fast walker and I got to the Club in about 7 minutes..but you could do it in 4-5 minutes if you walk up and down the long escalators (I just stood on the escalators, but walked on the underground moving sidewalks). The hike is similar (a bit longer) to the one at ORD between B and C, but the escalators on each end are much longer at Heathrow.

I'm on UA984 to IAH today and boarding is delayed due to a mechanical...and they announced it in the Club just beofre I was going to head to the gate...and since I've got a 2.5 hour cushion at IAH before my flight to SEA this evening I am actually happy there is a delay because I get to spend more time in here....my good mood will change if the delay is super long and/or I have to connect on a flight and not upgraded. But at least I can say that if having to be stranded in an airport this is now my first choice.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Arrived at T2 for the first time on Wednesday and, in the early am at least, the immigration queues were empty! I decided to try the UK/EEU queues once again and see if the immigration people had "received the memo" yet about US travelers registered in the Registered Traveller programme (they knew about it!)

Now I wish I had a biometric passport as there was no one waiting there either

Going back via Amsterdam this trip, so no chance to see the new UA Club - hopefully next time!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
UA Arrivals at the New LHR T2

Flying on UA into the new LHR T2 soon. While I know there are no guarantees regarding how long it takes to clear immigration/customs at LHR, I'm curious as to what to expect, and want to know others' experiences. Specifically:

• Has the new terminal sped the process up in general?
  • I heard UA flights use gates which have the longest walk to get to the immigration line. Is that the case?
  • I know the "rush" of inbound international flight arrivals begin around 6:00 AM and that this leads to long lines/queues at immigration. Is this still the case at 10:00 AM or do things quiet down later in the morning?
  • Once clear of immigration/customs, are there quick places to grab a bite to eat? And how long of a walk is it to the Tube station?

I'm in the front row of E+ for my flight (unless someone with a bassinet bumps my wife and I), so no priority line access, but I hopefully will be at the front of the non-priority herd for my flight.

Thanks in advance for any experiences/insights!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Difficult to say about crowds at immigration because the LH group of airlines moved in over the last month which will have changed the dynamics - and maybe also the staffing. The whole terminal was noticeably busier when I departed it last Thursday.

After exiting Customs there's a large Caffe Nero which is the best of the major coffee shop chains. The Tube's about 5 minutes to the platform from there.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Difficult to say about crowds at immigration because the LH group of airlines moved in over the last month which will have changed the dynamics - and maybe also the staffing. The whole terminal was noticeably busier when I departed it last Thursday.

After exiting Customs there's a large Caffe Nero which is the best of the major coffee shop chains. The Tube's about 5 minutes to the platform from there.
Thanks for the info lhrsfo! Good to know about Caffe Nero!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Lufthansa Senator *,Marriott platinum
Am a start alliance gold flying on United in economy class from Chicago to London arriving at 5.55am.
Is there a arrivals lounge with shower facilities that I could access after clearing immigration and collecting my bags.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by RAMSWISS
Am a start alliance gold flying on United in economy class from Chicago to London arriving at 5.55am.
Is there a arrivals lounge with shower facilities that I could access after clearing immigration and collecting my bags.
Only available if flying Business or First. Star Gold has no bearing on use of Arrivals Lounge, I'm afraid.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Connection time LHR

I'm sure this horse has been beaten to death, but I wanted to share my experience connecting from Turkish Airlines to UA at Heathrow this past weekend.

Tickets were booked on UA, which means I didn't get seat assignments with Turkish. So a few days before the flight I called Turkish to see if they could assign me a seat near the front, since the connection time was only 70 minutes and Heathrow is such a pain.

Turkish agent on the phone refused to assign a seat because he said the ticket needed to be reissued. Uh? He said that was an illegal connection as far as Turkish is concerned, because they require 90 minutes for Heathrow. So I called UA back, 1k agent tells me Turkish is full of you-know-what, the connection is legal, 60 minutes is fine and I have 70. Will not change flights without charging the change fee. So I decide to roll the dice.

At check-in in Istanbul I learned that since my seat was not pre-assigned, I am all the way in the back. Lovely.

The flight from Istanbul took off and landed on time. I mean, REALLY on time, almost down to the minute. As soon as the seatbelt sign is off I tried to push my way up the aisle, and you can imagine how that went. About 5 minutes to deplane and I took off running. I could see the United plane just a few gates to my right, figured it was fine. No, sir. Security is on the other end of T2. Only one X-Ray working, about 40 people in line. Finally got through, ran all the way back, only to be told I had to first go to the transfer desk. At that point I can hear the announcement for "last call" and "all passengers need to be on board at this point".

Not entirely relevant, but I have a ruptured spinal disc on my lower back, so after the sprint through the terminal I am limping badly and barely able to walk. No carts in sight.

The door closed right behind me.

Lesson here - even though I made my flight, this connection should never be legal. I had no carry-on, no stroller, no elderly companion or toddlers in tow. I can only imagine what would happen to others in these situations. The line at security was not that long. My flight from Istanbul was on time. Any of those variables could be off by 10 minutes and I'd be spending the night in London.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
min connection time LHR ?

has anyone ever successfully completed a 45 min connection time at LHR (touchdown to takeoff)

Incoming flight on UA, outgoing on BA (international) - two different itineraries, no checked baggage, and a new pair of running shoes so I can "OJ" through the airport...

Thoughts?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I would not try this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.