Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Never connected from UA to BA previously. I know BA is in Terminal 5. I am arriving on the 2.05pm from SFO. How long should I allow to connect from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5. I recognize I can only transfer land side. I will have access to a Priority Pass lounge. I am connecting (separate ticket) to MAN flight. I was thinking the 6.30pm flight should give me enough time.
This topic is covered extensively in the UK Forum.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: United GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I was on UA900 from LHR last month. It was very lightly loaded and we were ready to go a good half hour early but the door remained open. About 5 minutes before departure time I saw a minibus with 5 passengers on board pull up. From overheard conversations between them and the FAs, the bus had been shuttling between three delayed inbound flights, security and then to our plane. So it does happen.
Thank you all for the experiences and advice on my super tight 1 hour Terminal 2 connection this week (SK527 -> UA921). I'm going to risk it, but I have a written down the flights info for the later VA and BA flights to JFK 'just in case'.

I'll let you all know how it goes (it's Wednesday afternoon) - I'm particularly interested if the gold-scarf team is there to help!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by ws07
Thank you all for the experiences and advice on my super tight 1 hour Terminal 2 connection this week (SK527 -> UA921). I'm going to risk it, but I have a written down the flights info for the later VA and BA flights to JFK 'just in case'.

I'll let you all know how it goes (it's Wednesday afternoon) - I'm particularly interested if the gold-scarf team is there to help!
Today SK 527 didn't arrive till 17.35. Wouldn't have mattered though as 921 was cancelled....
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ani90
If not under pressure of time and no cost implications why not take the next flight to DUB at 9.50 then you go to United Arrivals lounge and shower breakfast etc then make your way through security at t-30. Otherwise will be a bit of a hurry as I assume EI leaves from 2A so will be a lot of time spent walking in the (maximum) 1 hour of disposable time you have with a 1:25 connection.
Thanks for the tip, and apologies for the delayed follow-up. My IAH-LHR flight arrived 25 minutes early, so I power walked to the EI transfer counter and caught the next flight to DUB (already boarding when I was booked onto it). I wanted to get to the office in Dublin more than I wanted to visit the lounge, so I was happy with the outcome.

I did see a 2B to 2B transfer shortcut available (as I was walking to 2A), but I didn't have time to stop and ask if I'd be let through to use the United club without backtracking all the way to 2A.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aindfan
I did see a 2B to 2B transfer shortcut available (as I was walking to 2A), but I didn't have time to stop and ask if I'd be let through to use the United club without backtracking all the way to 2A.
In your case (connection to DUB) you would not have been allowed to use the T2B Flight Connections. You had to clear UK immigration into the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area and that facility isn’t available at T2B.
aindfan likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ani90
Today SK 527 didn't arrive till 17.35. Wouldn't have mattered though as 921 was cancelled....
Holy cow....
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by aindfan

When did this turn on? I have never seen the T2B to T2B shortcut, though I wondered why they built the capability and never used it.

What are procedures for this?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
When did this turn on? I have never seen the T2B to T2B shortcut, though I wondered why they built the capability and never used it.

What are procedures for this?
I could have sworn I have used this. Instead of going left to go to Passport Control/immigration you turn right. My bags had been checked through to the final destination. It is a security checkpoint (and I think I also had to show my passport at a second station). It has been a year or so since I have used it.

So perhaps it is something different?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:43 am

A followup - today I had a 1 hour connection in T2 at LHR, arriving SK527 from Stockholm @5pm, connecting UA921 to EWR @ 6pm.

I made it - but holy cow it was tight.

SK527 arrived at 4:50, 10 minutes early (yay!). I deplaned quickly and after a hike went thru a very pleasant and short security line for Transfers. No problem. Got thru security, and then started to hike to B47 gate. Holy cow that was a long walk. I’d say a good 15-20 minutes of walking from the security check to the gate. I arrive a good 15 minutes before the doors closed - everyone else had already boarded. Fortunately in these troubled viral times the plane was only 60% full so plenty of room for my luggage in Polaris section.

Incidentally not a hint of any Global Services or star alliance “helpers” along the way. Even at the United gate, the yellow tie guy just scowled and pointed me towards the “only person who can ask the security questions needed” for the coveted passport sticker. Whatever - at least i made it!

My advice... give yourself more time! Without 10 minutes of extra time for an early arrival and the blessing of a very light security line it wouldn’t have happened.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:45 pm

I have 1hr connection at Heathrow on my USA-LHR UA flight. Im connecting same terminal at LHR There is a also a later flight that has seems to have capacity should I miss the connection.

​​​​​Should I look for a different routing since the connection is right? Any chance I get myself mixed up in a quarantine even tho my intention is to always stay airside.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MCIdave
I have 1hr connection at Heathrow on my USA-LHR UA flight. Im connecting same terminal at LHR There is a also a later flight that has seems to have capacity should I miss the connection. ...
WHen you say the same terminal Tern 2A and Term 2B are really separate terminals. What is the other carrier.

​​​​​Should I look for a different routing since the connection is right? Any chance I get myself mixed up in a quarantine even tho my intention is to always stay airside.
If you stay inside Term 2A & 2B you will not need to enter the UK.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I have 1hr connection at Heathrow on my USA-LHR UA flight. Im connecting same terminal at LHR There is a also a later flight that has seems to have capacity should I miss the connection.

I would never do a 1 hour connection at LHR. I believe you will have transit security check (can be quick or not), T2 connections can be a long walk, and luggage (any checked?) are considerations.

I hate transiting LHR, so I might be biased.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM
LHR T2 Connection

Can I make the following connection - arriving into LHR on Austrian (8:20am) and connecting to UA to EWR (9:30am)? Separate tickets, carry-on bags.
Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You can absolutely make that connection if everything is on time and assuming you can check in online for your EWR-LHR flight, which is a pretty big assumption. In my experience arrival to gate can be done in 30 mins. If you need a BP you will rely on the transfer desks and that is wishful thinking. So unless you are absolutely certain you can get you BP online and you are willing to assume substantive risk ... DON'T do it.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Checkin will be the issue here, as cfischer has said. International flights need you to be checked in one hour before departure (US government rules, not the airlines). Check-in will require you to have your covid requirements confirmed, which means you're going to be relying on the Travel Ready Center.

Presuming that the Travel Ready Center clears you, and presuming you meet all of the other requirements for online checkin (passport on file, etc), then it just becomes a physical issue which should be fine (if tight) with both airlines in T2, although you do need to pass through security. Of course even a slight delay on the inbound will change that - and although United may move you to another flight, they legally aren't required to if you're on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.