Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Mileage Plus Members made to the Star Alliance Top 1000 Group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sannmann
Based on the invitation letter received and also posters who have shared so far:
  1. Need to fly a minimum of 6 *A carriers to qualify
  2. Some posters have flown the 6 *A carriers but without invite. This may indicate certain flight activities threshold needs to be met.
  3. Some posters have flown a high number of flight activities on United and also meet the 6 *A carriers requirement, but still have not received an invitation. This may indicate a certain split of flight activities between the primary *A carriers and other *A carriers need to be met.
  4. It is unclear if class of service or revenue (to *A) impact the selection.
  5. It is unclear how *A keeps track of all the flight activities if one credits flights into multiple (or single) FFPs.
  6. It is unclear whether award tickets are included in the airline count.

Those who have made to the list, please share your flying pattern in this thread so we can update as needed.
Print Wikipost

Any Mileage Plus Members made to the Star Alliance Top 1000 Group?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
I finished 2015 with ~85k EQM, probably 75K BIS, about 55 segments.

All but 2000 EQM or so were non-UA *A (I had to scramble at the end to meet the 4 segment minimum on UA), a mix of LH, TP, LX, LO, SK, Aegean, UA, TK, OS, AC, and I think I had some SN in there as well-- as well as an award ticket in TG.

I had 2 round trips that were in premium economy on AC/LH, but no C or F tickets.

And I'm based out of BCN.

Is it possible they consider the # of segments outside of the "home" program as the main criteria? Otherwise the only thing I can think is proportion of miles.

If it's purely based on the # of airlines then that would skew the whole program towards Europe, I would think-- so I would expect they have some kind of geographic control.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K, DL SkyMiles Plat, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Hertz Gold
I got that cardholder as well. Nice though, but to be acknowledged that high in ranks, there could be quite a bit more or better of a "reward" for those outstanding Pax. If they really are going to install an alliance wide status level above Gold, which I think it's time to, that should lead to some even more indulging amenities. Sometimes it is hard to believe for me how United Clubs are run. Example IAH, United Club at E10 - ONE single service point to retrieve sodas or other drinks (coffee excluded from that). And at times there are up to 200 guests there. And that's also in EWR, ORD ans many others. What do they think? SQ's Gold Lounge at Terminal 3 in SIN is a waiting area not worth being called a Lounge. If doors would open to First Class Lounges, things really would become better...
Old May 23, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
To date, have not gotten any surveys ... did they come via email or via a snail mail solicitation?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Any idea if there will be another Star Alliance Top 1000 for this year?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by sannmann
Any idea if there will be another Star Alliance Top 1000 for this year?
No idea if I will requalify based on my 2016 *A activities below:

I will end the year with the following PQM statistics:

UA 421.450
SQ 56,739
LH 24,412
OS 22,906
NH 17,392
CA 16,273
Other *A 4,949

Total PQM: 564,151

Qualified for SQ PPS but still no word on GS
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:51 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Never heard of this one before, any benefits beyond *A Gold. I flew 8 *A carriers in 2016 and just under 320K PQM's. I be interested to see the details on the criteria and process for selection, although it only matters if there's a benefit.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Never heard of this one before, any benefits beyond *A Gold. I flew 8 *A carriers in 2016 and just under 320K PQM's. I be interested to see the details on the criteria and process for selection, although it only matters if there's a benefit.
I am not sure if there is any tangible benefits other than the name card holder I received when I was first notified. I get a number of survey questions via emails throughout the year. It seems this is the first year of the program, and I am not sure if there is another gift for qualifying for the 2nd year.

GS covers my UA benefits, and PPS covers my flying with SQ. When I fly other *A carriers, I don't sense any better treatment than other *G passengers.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:27 am

I've received an email from its management, named as Greetings from the new CEO, sent at the name of the newly erected CEO, on January 24th 2017. I wonder if I was qualified for the top 1000 in 2016 again?

I flew SQ, OZ, CA, ZH, AI, TG, BR, NZ in the year 2016, for more than 120 legs with total mileage of 400,000km, mostly in economy class.

Let's see if any further notice from Star Alliance.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inteng
I've received an email from its management, named as Greetings from the new CEO, sent at the name of the newly erected CEO, on January 24th 2017. I wonder if I was qualified for the top 1000 in 2016 again?

I flew SQ, OZ, CA, ZH, AI, TG, BR, NZ in the year 2016, for more than 120 legs with total mileage of 400,000km, mostly in economy class.

Let's see if any further notice from Star Alliance.
I also received the email on Jan 24.

I also received another email this morning about providing feedbacks. If you recevied one today, then I am sure you qualified.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I also received the email on Jan 24.

I also received another email this morning about providing feedbacks. If you recevied one today, then I am sure you qualified.
I think they are just rolling over last year's "members". Although I've been 1k for several years, in 2016 I only flew about 55k on *A so have dropped to UA Gold . I'm sure that doesn't put me in the top 1000 again (probably not even in the top 10,000 ...)

But I got the invite for a questionnaire earlier this week too. So they must be rolling over.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:36 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
In the past year, I flew SQ, OZ, LX, LH, UA, BR, TG, NH/NQ, SK, A3 for about 150k miles BIS, mostly in J and F.

Don't think I'm anywhere close to top 1000 though.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: OneW(Gold) Virgin(Gold) StarA(Hons) Hilton(Diam) ICG(Plat) Marriott(Gold) Amex Cent
Not a UA member myself but appears it is the only forum with a Top1000 discussion. I was curious what other people think.
I am very disappointed. It feels like a complete waste of time and utter BS. I asked up front whether this was a genuine initiative to improve customers´travel experience across the member airlines, or rather a glossed up marketing ploy. I was willing to invest some time in the former. The conclusion 12 months on, it is definitely the latter.

Not a single issue of true value has been discussed. Not a single result of value has been communicated or implemented. The much advertised live chat with StarAlliance top brass must have been a dud. I didn´t take part but the most prominent issue in their summary was about the cabin temperature. Doh!

There would be so much low hanging fruit to improve StarAlliance, and many fixes not even necessarily expensive. This is a lost opportunity.

Quite astonishing to pick 1000 of your best customers, and presumably in rather good management positions on average, and serve them bosh.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Plat, Marriott Ambassador (LP), Hilton Diamond
TOP1000

I just received email from TK:

"Congratulations!

You have been chosen to an exclusive Star Alliance group: TOP 1000* of international Frequent Travellers.

A custom-made leather passport holder will be sent to you as a gift. It is kindly required to confirm your current postal address for a successful delivery.

You will be contacted by Turkish Airlines Customer Service from 444 0 849.

Best Regards,

Turkish Airlines

* *TOP 1000 does not represent a new status tier, but rather is Star Alliance?s personal recognition of your exceptional loyalty towards your Frequent Flyer Programme and to the Star Alliance network. TOP 1000 travellers have flown the most on at least six Star Alliance member airlines in 2016."
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Piotrzdebik, congrats. May I ask if you are gold status in at least two *A Airlines?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by piotrzdebik
I just received email from TK:
I got the same email from TK.

In 2016, I flew 11 *A carriers (UA, AI, TG, TK, SK, TP, OZ, NH, ZH, LO, AC) on revenue tickets. ~300k BIS total.

I also flew NZ and CA on award flights, but I doubt that was counted towards calculating this metric.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.