Wiki Posts
Search

Time to get rid of my miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Time to get rid of my miles?

Have several million, just never got around to using them. Time to trade them for something tangible in case they become worthless?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Probably a bit premature to do that, but your choice is your choice and it just depends on what your needs are for the next couple of months.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Who knows

I decided to hedge my bets. I bought an iPad Pro with miles last week just in case so I don’t feel like I lost everything should it take a fall.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
that is the big question - what do you use them for?
that question is probably why some have so many unused miles to begin with.....

-m
jsloan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
What has happened historically to miles during a bankruptcy? There must be a precedent to guide thinking
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by donjo
What has happened historically to miles during a bankruptcy? There must be a precedent to guide thinking
When Pan Am liquidated, Delta took over the Pan Am Worldpass program and rolled it into Delta Frequent Flyer. Nothing was lost.

Other US airlines didn’t liquidate and their programs are too valuable to discard, so the miles remained intact.

Outside the US, failed airlines programs did go bust and people lost their points/miles.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caiken
Have several million, just never got around to using them. Time to trade them for something tangible in case they become worthless?
I mean, honestly, the time to trade them in was years ago. But they're certainly not likely to appreciate in value. If by something tangible, though, you mean merchandise, know that UA has upped the prices for a number of their merchandise award recently. They don't really want to give away anything that costs them money. Make sure you're getting enough out of the trade to be worth it.

Originally Posted by donjo
Nothing. In Chapter 11 bankruptcies in the US, frequent flyer miles haven't been touched. Even in PanAm's shutdown -- they went into Chapter 11, but the reorganization fell through and they had to liquidate -- their plan was purchased by Delta.

That said, this is a new age, and I don't think anybody really knows what to expect.
Often1 and artvandalay like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Why gamble?

I didn’t keep mine in a huge pile this last year as I saw less and less value in redemption for international travel. With fares likely to cheapen beyond our wildest dreams in the next 12 months I just decided to buy some fitness equipment and snagged the Bowflex home gym. I won’t be traveling for vacations but need to get to the gym and decided home is the new gym.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
When Pan Am liquidated, Delta took over the Pan Am Worldpass program and rolled it into Delta Frequent Flyer. Nothing was lost.

Other US airlines didn’t liquidate and their programs are too valuable to discard, so the miles remained intact.

Outside the US, failed airlines programs did go bust and people lost their points/miles.
Depends if there is a take over . When I lived in Australia I was a Star A flyer but in the Ansett program , they went straight bust, no takeover , I lost 800k miles in that event
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I already used 95% of mine for future travel. Cheap longhaul biz available in late summer and fall.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Interesting 1991 NY Times article about the Pan Am bankruptcy and the fate of the WorldPass program. Also mentions a $100 million guarantee with United on routes should they cease to operate. This is before the program was eventually sold to Delta. You can use private mode in your browser if you hit a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/01/09/b...nt-fliers.html
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:37 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Interesting 1991 NY Times article about the Pan Am bankruptcy and the fate of the WorldPass program. Also mentions a $100 million guarantee with United on routes should they cease to operate. This is before the program was eventually sold to Delta. You can use private mode in your browser if you hit a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/01/09/b...nt-fliers.html
Another resource is archive.is - great for saving websites.

Here's a link to the article you posted: Pan Am Reassures Ticket Holders and Frequent Fliers - The New York Times
Magic Pickles likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
People on the VS forum are talking about how AN customers lost all their miles after the bankruptcy, despite claims on FT that no such thing would happen.

I would not expect any US3 miles to become worthless by next year, but given that they're probably depreciating by at least 10% per annum even during normal times, OP might ask themself why they're sitting on so many miles to begin with.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not remotely consider anything that has happened in the past as impacting the future. Absolutely impossible to know what conditions Treasury might impose on a bailout if Congress imposes it.

Bottom line is that banking miles is never a great idea and if you are sitting on a ton right now, maybe it's better to cut losses even though the program will likely survive.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Similar to selling stocks, in most senses it's way too late for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.