Old Mar 29, 16, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
What Hubs should United Cut/Add

My vote is add a hub at MCO (Orlando)
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:11 am

Programs: EK gold for 2020,UA 1K
Seby12,
back in the day UA had a mini hub in MCO!
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by Seby12 View Post
My vote is add a hub at MCO (Orlando)
What would be the advantages of that - to serve the Caribbean and central/south america? Why can't those be served adequately from Houston/IAD plus non-stops from other hubs?
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
What would be the advantages of that - to serve the Caribbean and central/south america? Why can't those be served adequately from Houston/IAD plus non-stops from other hubs?
A lot of Origin and Destination from MCO to Latin America. Would also be more convenient to not have to stop at MIA for the large Latin American population in Orlando.
Also more direct if flying from the Caribbean to the West. For example it makes no sense to fly SXM-EWR/IAD/ORD to the west.
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
An interesting read on this subject here.
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Can't think of a single US based "hub" that UA needs - would love to see them build up their Asian and EMEA bases but that's never going to happen....
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:39 am

Programs: UA
CLE as a mini hub to relieve congestion at ORD & EWR. How often have I landed at either of those two hubs and hear from the Capt.: "we arrived but no gate available so we're parked on Tarmac waiting" message over the PA.

So, bring back CLE.. I realize I'm dreaming...
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
MCO is an ultra competitive airport. While it may be high on traffic, I seem to recall it is lower margin.
Old Mar 29, 16, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE View Post
CLE as a mini hub to relieve congestion at ORD & EWR. How often have I landed at either of those two hubs and hear from the Capt.: "we arrived but no gate available so we're parked on Tarmac waiting" message over the PA.

So, bring back CLE.. I realize I'm dreaming...
Which only works if all the onward connections are also available. But as a "mini hub" it would only have a small subset of the flow and demand. And the added bonus of significantly less O/D flow.

MCO is an interesting idea if you need a new hub for LatAm flow but UA does pretty well for that ex-IAH. MCO is out of position for most domestic connections, even within the southeast. If you wanted to build connectivity within the region and were willing to forgo O/D volume there are plenty of airports which would support that, but it also is unlikely to be financially viable.
Old Mar 29, 16, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
MCO is an ultra competitive airport. While it may be high on traffic, I seem to recall it is lower margin.
Isn't most of the traffic leisure, which tends to be price sensitive? And to the extent it's business conferences, those tend to book in advance or get package deals/bulk discounts.
Old Mar 29, 16, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
UA doesn't need another hub. There's nothing they can't reach in latam that they can't effectively do from IAD, LAX and IAH.
Old Mar 29, 16, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I'd like to see UA run mainline jets between current hubs and competitor hubs.

There is no direct flight ORD-DFW. Not even on UAX.

ORD-ATL is only 50-seaters on some days.

Last edited by atword; Mar 29, 16 at 11:07 am Reason: Correction on ORD-ATL.
Old Mar 29, 16, 11:10 am

what are you talking about?

UA flies ORD-DFW multiple times a day. today they have 6 flights, two of which are mainline. the rest are express E175 types.

ORD-ATL has 8 flights today, and a few are mainline.

What are you talking about???

Originally Posted by atword View Post
I'd like to see UA run mainline jets between current hubs and competitor hubs.

There is no direct flight ORD-DFW. Not even on UAX.

ORD-ATL is only 50-seaters on some days.
Old Mar 29, 16, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Not as much as it used to be. Lots of higher yielding business/convention traffic now.

I'd say yes to MCO!
Old Mar 29, 16, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seby12 View Post
A lot of Origin and Destination from MCO to Latin America. Would also be more convenient to not have to stop at MIA for the large Latin American population in Orlando.
Also more direct if flying from the Caribbean to the West. For example it makes no sense to fly SXM-EWR/IAD/ORD to the west.
I'm not sure MCO makes more sense than routing Caribbean origins through IAH.

To your original question, if they would utilize IAD better for the Southeast US, I don't think they need to add any new hubs. And I don't think adding a hub at MCO would help that much with the SE.

As far as cutting, CLE was the easy one. I wouldn't cut any others.

I don't know the business case for or against this, but UA used to have some airports that were kind of like mini-hubs. They may have called them "focus cities" or something like that. IIRC, they had a couple onward flights to smaller or specialty destinations. Kind of like CLE is (or at least was right after dehubbing, not sure now). MCO or TPA might make sense to serve the southeast and Caribbean in this manner.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: