Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should they create United regional services?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I know there are a bunch of us out there that are high value regional fliers---We travel each week around the USA on full fares. I'm wondering if united could create regional services for those of us who can't earn global services because our travel is only domestic. I propose calling it United Regional Services and it would be a step above 1k and below GS. I welcome thoughts!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Iuguy16
I know there are a bunch of us out there that are high value regional fliers---We travel each week around the USA on full fares. I'm wondering if united could create regional services for those of us who can't earn global services because our travel is only domestic. I propose calling it United Regional Services and it would be a step above 1k and below GS. I welcome thoughts!
There are people who are Global Services who only fly domestic. They pay full fare Y or F and spend the amount required to get to GS.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Nearly all of my flights are within 2 hours of ORD.

This is why you can gain status on segments, not just miles. In the old days, I would make Premier Exec (>50k but <100k) occasionally on segments, which I think was 60, but not on miles.

I would venture to guess that if you were flying 120 segments on full fares, you'd have a shot at making GS. I hope I never find out...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
I know people who make GS based solely on domestic flying. Some of them only do LGA - ORD, ORD - LGA, DCA - ORD, and ORD - DCA. I guess if you do enough of those routes at high Y/B/M fares, you can make GS.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...We travel each week around the USA on full fares. I'm wondering if united could create regional services for those of us who can't earn global services because our travel is only domestic. I propose calling it United Regional Services and it would be a step above 1k and below GS. ...
Are you suggesting a level that does not requires the same dollar level as GS (and limited to just domestic fares -- no international?) but greater than $12K for 1K? Say a $25K threshold in only domestic fares?

I guess I have been under the impression the cpm for full fares are higher for domestic routes then international, so it seems the domestic only flyer is not at an disadvantage?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
From the info posted here on flyertalk, there's a clear way to earn into Global Services: Spend enough on higher fare bucket tickets - on the order of $40K/year. Even if all of that spending is domestic, you'll likely get an invitation into GS.

For a 1K flyer, that's a spend of $0.40/mi. For all other levels, you're spending even more per mile to keep UA happy. If you're not spending around that, you're not going to get UA's attention. Segments don't do it, flying lots and lots and lots of miles don't do it.

Another way to get to GS is to be part of a large organization that sets up a travel relationship with UA and will enable the organization to identify a set of people who get GS - such as vice-presidents, CEO, etc.

However, I'm not sure what being GS on many of the short hop routes buys you - a seat up front or on an aisle in a Q400 or EMB 145? more bags of cheap snacks? RPUs that never clear? If you're already in the high spend fare buckets, you'll get into BF on mainline aircraft and be asked what pre-departure beverage you want. Otherwise, you'll be sitting with the rest of the domestic-only elites in E+ and those who bought up to E+ from the cheap seats.

David
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

I think it could work and make united even more attractive to us HF regional customers. I think they could offer a lot more like unlimited free drinks on. Aircrafts like cr2 that don't have first, ability to store bag in crew spaces on small regional jets, special designated seating in small airports lthat don't serve mainline and have lounges, bag tags, and 750 miles all flights
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I think it could work and make united even more attractive to us HF regional customers. I think they could offer a lot more like unlimited free drinks on. Aircrafts like cr2 that don't have first, ability to store bag in crew spaces on small regional jets, special designated seating in small airports lthat don't serve mainline and have lounges, bag tags, and 750 miles all flights
LOL - UA can't even execute a free drink / snack box for GS/1K today - adding another level for regional carriers would never be properly executed....
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, OP can dream but that is all UA needs, another status. And there are plenty of domestic GS that fly mainly regional.

So OP, what do you propose UA gives the real GS that fly regional only? Let them sit in the cockpit? Free access to the drink and snack cart? I really think you are reaching too far out the branch and it will break.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If UA grants OP's wish, this program should be called GS-lite. I will ask UA to create 1K-lite for those travelers that cannot meet PQD requirements. Good luck.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
You mean TED?

When I read the title, I thought the OP was asking for the return of TED.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If UA grants OP's wish, this program should be called GS-lite. I will ask UA to create 1K-lite for those travelers that cannot meet PQD requirements. Good luck.
I want 1K+ then! I fly mostly international and on other *A but my $25k a year should get me something for spending 2x the "cheap skate" 1Ks!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I don't think they'd ever do this, domestic fliers who don't make GS just don't provide enough revenue. Period.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2016 at 11:00 pm Reason: unneeded comment on poster deleted
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nevansm
I don't think they'd ever do this, domestic fliers who don't make GS just don't provide enough revenue. Period.
I disagree.. I think that someone who pays 700 for a regional flight is bringing them a lot of revenue. Of course is not revenue like someone paying 10,000 for a international first ticket but it's still a nice chunk of money. You know it's going to be looking at Waz of course is not revenue like someone paying 10,000 for a international first ticket but it's still a nice chunk of money. United is trying to grow its revenue and this is a nice way, for a little money, people stay with United even when it's not the most convenient.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I want 1K+ then! I fly mostly international and on other *A but my $25k a year should get me something for spending 2x the "cheap skate" 1Ks!
This may be the OP's point. There are a lot of Golds and even some Silvers that spend the same as you. 2 years ago I flew about 67k miles and IIRC my spend was near $20k. There are a lot of overpriced ORD-IAH flights and similar out there.

While I don't think GS should necessarily change, I would like them to re-evaluate the formula for lower statuses. And I still favor minimum thresholds for miles or segments to build loyalty, just think higher spenders in each category aren't being fairly rewarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.