Wiki Posts
Search

Waiver for BRU 22 March to 30 April 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Waiver for BRU 22 March to 30 April 2016

Travel waiver for Brussels
The United family is deeply saddened by the tragedies in Brussels earlier today, and our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. The safety of United's customers and crew remains top priority, and all United employees are safe and accounted for at this time.

United had two arrivals at Brussels International Airport this morning. Flight 950 from Washington Dulles arrived at 7:01 a.m. and customers deplaned normally at the gate. United's second flight - flight 999 from Newark Liberty - was rerouted to a remote location and customers and crew have deplaned.

All remaining flights to and from Brussels International have been suspended until further notice from local authorities. Additional updates will be shared as possible.

United has issued a waiver for the situation impacting Brussels. Customers are permitted to make voluntary changes to their plans within the parameters provided.

Travel to/from/through
Brussels (BRU)

Dates
Original travel dates: March 22 - 24, 2016

Reschedule Travel

Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing on or before April 1, 2016, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class). Alternate cities are allowed.
Update to Waiver (7JC8P):

Original travel date(s): March 22 - 31, 2016

Flight changes:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between March 22, 2016, and April 12, 2016, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed, or to or from Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, London, Luxembourg or Paris.
  • For wholly rescheduled travel departing after April 12, 2016, or for a change in departure or destination city other than those listed above, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.

Original travel date(s): March 22 - April 30, 2016

Flight changes:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between March 22, 2016, and April 30, 2016, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed, or to or from Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, London, Luxembourg or Paris.
  • For wholly rescheduled travel departing after April 30, 2016, or for a change in departure or destination city other than those listed above, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.

Last edited by edcho; Apr 2, 2016 at 2:31 pm Reason: Waiver Updated
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for posting this. Another tragic incident, and very pleased to see United posting a detailed update on the status of those two arriving flights.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Where was 999 routed too?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Where was 999 routed too?
I believe a remote part of the airport....
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I believe a remote part of the airport....
Gotcha I glossed over where it said "had two arrivals at BRU" and read it as IAD landed but EWR hadn't yet.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
News reports show the blast as "just before 8am" and FlightAware has UA999 landing at 8:01. Wow, if the 8:01 arrival is accurate they must have been among the first to land.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
News reports show the blast as "just before 8am" and FlightAware has UA999 landing at 8:01. Wow, if the 8:01 arrival is accurate they must have been among the first to land.
Looks like they were on the plane for about an hour...

Code:
0999/21MAR
P EWR/OUT    802P  L00.27  ☨
P EWR/OFF    835P
P BRU/ON     801A
P BRU/IN     905A  L01.15  ☨
D CRC/EWR/ POSSIBLE DELAYS DUE TO STRONG WINDS

SKED  EWR  ORIG    735P              GTD C108 SHIP 3010
      BRU   750A  TERM    1 GTA  B05
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Absolutely terrifying to be landing at an airport and then receiving live news alerts of a terror attack at your airport.

Very good United communication/waiver (with sensible change options).
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I called United to change my flights on April 14 without any charge because my original fare class (W) was available. The original routing was LED-FRA-BRU-IAD. The new one is LED-FRA-IAD and returns home two days earlier than originally planned. I also got the GPU cleared on the new flight. Thank you, United.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I called United to change my flights on April 14 without any charge because my original fare class (W) was available. The original routing was LED-FRA-BRU-IAD. The new one is LED-FRA-IAD and returns home two days earlier than originally planned. I also got the GPU cleared on the new flight. Thank you, United.
April 14th, way after the waiver. Interesting.

We are scheduled Wednesday March 30 BRU-ORD-LAX/ROC in BF on saver awards. I wonder if UA would open BF space for us to fly TXL-USA-LAX/ROC on March 27. I see the waiver allows departures from different cities...

I'll contact UA tomorrow and see what they say.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
April 14th, way after the waiver. Interesting.

I see the waiver allows departures from different cities...

I'll contact UA tomorrow and see what they say.
The waiver also allows any change of flight departing after April 1 if the same fare class is available (i.e., no fare difference charge). No change fees should be charged. I think that April 14 is within two weeks of 1 April. The following text did not set any limit on the date as long as the rescheduled travel is completed within one year from the ticketing date.

"For wholly rescheduled travel departing after April 1, 2016, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued."
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

As is standard for FT, the discussion in the UA forum will focus on helping those with UA plans involving BRU and for communicating updates from UA.

For broader, more general discussion of the events, please follow this in the general news and/or OMNI threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ch-2016-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ort-metro.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...22-2016-a.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Anyone on UA999 to Brussels or in Brussels?

UA999 IAD-BRU reportedly landed shortly after the blasts in Zaventem and unloaded away from the terminal. Any trip reports? Or anyone have anything to report about the airport?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
There's a thread in the Destinations thread/Europe. Lots of information there.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by standard
UA999 IAD-BRU reportedly landed shortly after the blasts in Zaventem and unloaded away from the terminal. Any trip reports? Or anyone have anything to report about the airport?
No and 999 is EWR - BRU not IAD - BRU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.