Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by george99
...What is the UA policy on this? .... Will the airline try to use my empty seat if they need a seat for someone?
Yes UA allows the purchasing of an "EXTRASEAT" -- can not be done online, you will need to call. It is a reserved seat and can not be ignored by UA without following the procedures for any other ticket.
More details in the wiki,

You will
Originally Posted by george99
... Do I get PQMs for this? Miles, etc?
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
... not sure about the PQMs . . ...
per the thread's wiki
You will get the RDMs & PQDs for the "EXTRASEAT" but no PQMs.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes UA allows the purchasing of an "EXTRASEAT" -- can not be done online, you will need to call. It is a reserved seat and can not be ignored by UA without following the procedures for any other ticket
I think it is important to point out to the OP that will need to exercise a certain amount of vigilance in defending their extra seat from poachers and either lazy or aggressive staff - for example, on an overbooked flight, the GA may try and strong-arm that extra seat away, or an FA may tell someone to sit there, ignoring the claim of the OP - sure, they will be compensated after the fact, but that is little comfort when you're about to sit for 14hrs on a long flight. Other passengers may covet the seat (less likely with a couple booking an empty middle), and you may need to get aggressive in keeping them away. Not a sure thing that trouble will happen, but the OP should still be aware and vigilant, at least until the flight is underway.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think it is important to point out to the OP that will need to exercise a certain amount of vigilance in defending their extra seat from poachers and either lazy or aggressive staff - for example, on an overbooked flight, the GA may try and strong-arm that extra seat away, or an FA may tell someone to sit there, ignoring the claim of the OP - sure, they will be compensated after the fact, but that is little comfort when you're about to sit for 14hrs on a long flight. Other passengers may covet the seat (less likely with a couple booking an empty middle), and you may need to get aggressive in keeping them away. Not a sure thing that trouble will happen, but the OP should still be aware and vigilant, at least until the flight is underway.
VERY well stated!! Thank you!
Dave
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Suspect you will have a problem, the only proper way to book EXTRASEAT is with an agent so it is properly linked to your ticket. Your secnd ticket will be considered a "no show" and cancelled. And then the empty seat will be available for assignment to standbys.

Personally I would cancel before the 24 hour cancel free window passes.
Then call and do this properly.
I have successfully self booked EXTRASEAT online.

After reading the warnings here, I called in, twice, to verify and was met with puzzlement by the agent "Everything EXTRASEAT is already in order" EXTRASEAT was still there on connection and return. Perhaps I just got lucky.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have successfully self booked EXTRASEAT online. ....
Coud you describe the steps you took?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I have successfully self booked EXTRASEAT online.

After reading the warnings here, I called in, twice, to verify and was met with puzzlement by the agent "Everything EXTRASEAT is already in order" EXTRASEAT was still there on connection and return. Perhaps I just got lucky.
Yes, please tell . I have mixed award and paid seats, and just get two PNRs. It seems to take the 1K agents a while, but it always gets done.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
In the past I've booked LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT online, but the last two times when I've booked it by phone, the agent booked it as LASTNAME/EXST. The first time it was booked this way, I was able to view the reservation online using the locator and LASTNAME. However, for the most recent reservation I made, when I try to retrieve it by locator and LASTNAME, it says this itinerary cannot be viewed online and that either the confirmation number or the last name is invalid. Of course I've double checked this information against the email confirmation, but I cannot get it to display online. Should I be worried? Everything looks OK in the email confirmation, including the seat assignments. I'm somewhat worried that I won't be able to checkin when the time comes. Note that I booked the EXST using miles, so it's in a separate locator from the primary reservation.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Howard
In the past I've booked LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT online, but the last two times when I've booked it by phone, the agent booked it as LASTNAME/EXST. The first time it was booked this way, I was able to view the reservation online using the locator and LASTNAME. However, for the most recent reservation I made, when I try to retrieve it by locator and LASTNAME, it says this itinerary cannot be viewed online and that either the confirmation number or the last name is invalid. Of course I've double checked this information against the email confirmation, but I cannot get it to display online. Should I be worried? Everything looks OK in the email confirmation, including the seat assignments. I'm somewhat worried that I won't be able to checkin when the time comes. Note that I booked the EXST using miles, so it's in a separate locator from the primary reservation.
Did you get your question resolved? I'm about to do the same thing - 6hr flight, GPU upgrade pending, so I want to book an award seat to block the middle in my exit row, but it's only for one segment of my itinerary so I believe they need to book it as a separate record, but not sure how to handle check-in, boarding passes, etc or how the seat will show as "boarded" once I board with my primary boarding pass.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Did you get your question resolved? I'm about to do the same thing - 6hr flight, GPU upgrade pending, so I want to book an award seat to block the middle in my exit row, but it's only for one segment of my itinerary so I believe they need to book it as a separate record, but not sure how to handle check-in, boarding passes, etc or how the seat will show as "boarded" once I board with my primary boarding pass.
My most recent EXTRA SEAT booking is in the record under a separate PNR: EXSTLASTNAME You should be able to see it on line, and we print a boarding pass so that there is no confusion.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
My most recent EXTRA SEAT booking is in the record under a separate PNR: EXSTLASTNAME You should be able to see it on line, and we print a boarding pass so that there is no confusion.
It took some doing, but reservations was able to make the EXTRASEAT booking for me as a separate mileage reservation for AAA-BBB only, then connect it to my revenue ticket for AAA-BBB-CCC. I can view it online correctly, but I will need to check-in both reservations, and print boarding passes for both, and scan both during boarding. I also need to watch the booking carefully because any schedule or aircraft change will scatter the seats, but I'm still hopeful the GPU upgrade will clear on the first segment, so I can cancel and redeposit the EXTASEAT mileage booking. Two second row exit row seats together will be a decent compromise if the upgrade doesn't clear.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:10 pm

...Two second row exit row seats together will be a decent compromise if the upgrade doesn't clear.
With the armrest fixed in exit rows, this will be "more personal space" but not "more seat space"
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:17 pm

With the armrest fixed in exit rows, this will be "more personal space" but not "more seat space"
Shoot, I totally forgot about the fixed arm rests on the 738 - for some reason I thought they went up. Just to be safe, I'll move "us" further up in the E+ area, thanks for the reminder.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I still can't view the EXST reservation online, but I had an agent at the United Club print out the EXST itinerary, and everything looked OK. Like you, I did it this way because I have RPUs pending in both directions, but if they don't clear, at least I'll have the extra middle seat in E+.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Lifetime miles

I see in the Wiki that no PQM for the extra seat. Does anyone know if you get lifetime miles for both seats if you pay for the extra seat?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ll22949
I see in the Wiki that no PQM for the extra seat. Does anyone know if you get lifetime miles for both seats if you pay for the extra seat?
You wouldn't because lifetime miles are BIS and when purchasing an extra seat, you're not "butt in seat."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.