Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 25, 22, 2:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher View Post
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 22, 8:54 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3
Can I buy 2 UA tickets on the same flight?

I have two reservations with UA - one included with Viking River Cruise (Economy+), one purchased on my own for Premium Economy. The reason I did that is because Viking charged $1900 extra for Premium while I can purchase one for $1700. I thought I can have hubby sit in the two Eco+ seats while I sit in Premium. But UA is cancelling my Viking seat and keeping the Premium (also keeping hubby's seat). I would rather cancel the Premium and hope for full refund since UA is the one that does not allow that. I have Gold status while hubby doesn't so I need to have Viking's to be in the same confirmation #.

Is it true that I cannot buy two seats on the same flight? I've seen people bought a second seat for their cello but I guess hubby is not allowed? TIA!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 22 at 11:28 am Reason: Moved to subject thread
SnowBuzzer is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 9:07 am
  #227  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,946
Originally Posted by SnowBuzzer View Post
I have two reservations with UA - one included with Viking River Cruise (Economy+), one purchased on my own for Premium Economy. The reason I did that is because Viking charged $1900 extra for Premium while I can purchase one for $1700. I thought I can have hubby sit in the two Eco+ seats while I sit in Premium. But UA is cancelling my Viking seat and keeping the Premium (also keeping hubby's seat). I would rather cancel the Premium and hope for full refund since UA is the one that does not allow that. I have Gold status while hubby doesn't so I need to have Viking's to be in the same confirmation #.

Is it true that I cannot buy two seats on the same flight? I've seen people bought a second seat for their cello but I guess hubby is not allowed? TIA!
Pretty obvious that each passenger must be listed on a manifest. A cello is not a passenger. How was the husband going to get past TSA without a boarding pass with his name on it?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 9:12 am
  #228  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Pretty obvious that each passenger must be listed on a manifest. A cello is not a passenger. How was the husband going to get past TSA without a boarding pass with his name on it?
Viking's reservation has two seats. Hubby has his own ticket. He just needs to be in the same confirmation as mine so he can get economy+ seat. I hoping to keep my eco+ seat that is included with the Viking cruise so that hubby can have two seats while I sit in the separately purchased premium economy. I would have two boarding passes while hubby has one.
SnowBuzzer is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 10:30 am
  #229  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: UA 1K, MM
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by SnowBuzzer View Post
Viking's reservation has two seats. I hoping to keep my eco+ seat that is included with the Viking cruise so that hubby can have two seats while I sit in the separately purchased premium economy. I would have two boarding passes while hubby has one.
You can, in fact, book an extra seat (see thread). When I've done it, the reservation has the first name EXTRASEAT, and then my last name. You don't get miles accrual for it but, according to my reservation, it does get a baggage allowance.

I've only done it with a seat directly next to my booked seat. But in principle, it lets me choose a seat on the plane. In this case, could you call United and ask if you can book a premium economy seat as an extra seat under your name? That way, you keep your status associated with the Viking tickets so your husband gets better seats.
lancelot21 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 10:32 am
  #230  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 504
There are other people here who are more versed in buying extra seats than me whom I hope will fill in such details, but it is technically possible to buy an extra ticket for a passenger who either, for example, needs extra space for a medical condition (like having their arm in a brace), or is too large to fit in a normal seat, often euphemistically called a person of size. But that's not what you want to do, since you want to retain your ticket that comes with the cruise, presumably because it is less expensive than buying your ticket yourself.

On the other hand, you seem to be willing to spend a large extra amount to improve your seating. So, here's another idea: can you cancel both Viking-issued seats and purchase another Premium Economy for your husband? Might it make financial sense to do so?
jpezaris is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 10:40 am
  #231  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: UA 1K, MM
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by jpezaris View Post
... can you cancel both Viking-issued seats and purchase another Premium Economy for your husband? Might it make financial sense to do so?
This would be the most straightforward course of action, if Viking will let you do it and gives you a reasonable reduction in the price.

One potential challenge with the extraseat strategy is that I doubt you can buy a standalone extra seat. I could be wrong, but I'd think it is ordinarily linked to an actual flying person on the same reservation. That's why you need to ask an agent!

Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Yes. Although I should note that Ive only done that for domestic flights. Dont know if that would work on an international flight.
I just did this for an international flight on .bomb, and it appears to have worked (EXTRASEAT LANCELOT). A 1K agent, in fact, told me I could do it online this way.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 22 at 11:30 am Reason: merge consecutive posts by same member
lancelot21 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 11:24 am
  #232  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 61,478
Originally Posted by SnowBuzzer View Post
... Is it true that I cannot buy two seats on the same flight? I've seen people bought a second seat for their cello but I guess hubby is not allowed? TIA!
In the same name or different cabins -- No, see [Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?

However, it is possible using the EXTRASEAT booking approach -- but not sure Viking will play ball with this

Originally Posted by SnowBuzzer View Post
Viking's reservation has two seats. Hubby has his own ticket. He just needs to be in the same confirmation as mine so he can get economy+ seat. I hoping to keep my eco+ seat that is included with the Viking cruise so that hubby can have two seats while I sit in the separately purchased premium economy. I would have two boarding passes while hubby has one.
This will be a separate issue, you cannot have a personal booking in two cabins AND you and +1 cannot be on the same PNR/ticket if in separate cabins.
SPN Lifer likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 26, 22, 5:08 pm
  #233  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3
Viking would not change one of the passenger's name to ExtraSeat but will purchase an extra seat for us at $1599, while the economy ticket is ~$800. Since this is not cost effective for us, we canceled the premium economy that we purchased separately. Thank you everyone for your input!
SnowBuzzer is offline  
Old Jan 26, 22, 6:02 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: UA 1K, MM
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by SnowBuzzer View Post
Viking would not change one of the passenger's name to ExtraSeat but will purchase an extra seat for us at $1599, while the economy ticket is ~$800. Since this is not cost effective for us, we canceled the premium economy that we purchased separately. Thank you everyone for your input!
Sorry it didn't work out with Viking. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I hope you have a great trip!
SnowBuzzer likes this.
lancelot21 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:06 pm
  #235  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ville des Lumires
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 10,727
Ive read the wiki and the process looks straight forward. I want to book an extra seat for myself and a carry on kitty in a carrier. Other than entering EXTRASEAT for the name, does it matter what the other details like DOB are?
TomMM is online now  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:05 pm
  #236  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: United, Southwest
Posts: 269
You do know that the cat carrier has to remain UNDER the seat (i would assume either seat if you buy two) with the door closed and you can't put the carrier ON the 2nd seat? As much as I would like that (being a cat lover, too) it would not be allowed.
WheelsUpGal is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 5:16 pm
  #237  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: UA 1K, MM
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Ive read the wiki and the process looks straight forward. I want to book an extra seat for myself and a carry on kitty in a carrier. Other than entering EXTRASEAT for the name, does it matter what the other details like DOB are?
Yes, this is correct. I have done this several times this calendar year for transatlantic flights. My reservation was under EXTRASEAT LANCELOT (i.e., use EXTRASEAT as the first name). Given that the carrying case is under the seat, I agree that it is much easier to travel with an extra seat to allow putting my own personal items under the seat. And for having room to lean over to check on the cat.

I would recommend choosing window-middle seats. The cat is under the window seat, so as far from foot traffic/excess stimulus as possible (there is already far too much stimulus).
lancelot21 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 6:18 pm
  #238  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ville des Lumires
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 10,727
Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
Yes, this is correct. I have done this several times this calendar year for transatlantic flights. My reservation was under EXTRASEAT LANCELOT (i.e., use EXTRASEAT as the first name). Given that the carrying case is under the seat, I agree that it is much easier to travel with an extra seat to allow putting my own personal items under the seat. And for having room to lean over to check on the cat.

I would recommend choosing window-middle seats. The cat is under the window seat, so as far from foot traffic/excess stimulus as possible (there is already far too much stimulus).
Thanks thats my thinking also. This is will be a transatlantic flight on a 767 and I am planning on getting seats on one of the dual seats side.
TomMM is online now  
Old Aug 3, 22, 6:36 pm
  #239  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 39,459
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Thanks thats my thinking also. This is will be a transatlantic flight on a 767 and I am planning on getting seats on one of the dual seats side.
Getting the EXTRASEAT is the easy part - keeping poachers out of it, especially if it's a highly desirable location, will be the challenge. Window/middle combination is best, you can sit in the middle the physically block people from poaching the window, then spread out after take-off to take both seats. Unfortunately, I wish I could poo-poo the risk, but the very first time I booked one of these, I had to slide over and block a poacher who was seated in the very back of the cabin, but loudly declared "I'm just gonna sit right here!" - no help from the FAs, but the GA who knew I had the extra seat told her to get to the back and sit down in her assigned seat.
SPN Lifer and EmailKid like this.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 7:48 pm
  #240  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 915
Does XTRASEAT only apply in Economy? Can it be used in domestic F, for example? (I'd find it difficult to be practical on a Polaris international flight...)
wpcoe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread