Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
EXTSEAT

Hello. Can a pax purchase more than 1 EXTSEAT in addition to the original ticket? Also, can the EXTSEAT option be used on an itinerary which includes UA and a partner *A carrier?
Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 26, 2020 at 11:17 am Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:39 am

TRASH. thanks for the link which I had already consulted.
My question was about the ability of a pax to purchase 2 extraseats and not just the one extraseat which I have already purchased.
e.g. 1K pax + extraseat #1 + extraseat #2 .
Thanks for your info.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
My company just had our return to work guidelines and the travel policy is that if we are required to fly, we will be reimbursed for purchasing an aisle/window seat + middle seat. How does one go about booking two seats? From some basic reading on TPG, I saw that you must book with the name EXTRASEAT LASTNAME. How will rewards work? The same article states that I will receive double award miles but only PQPs for 1 seat. Is this true? Thanks ahead of time.
Kidos to your employer! 👏👏👏

Now I just need to ensure I an on the same flight and in the same row as you for my future flights.

I have read precious reports of UA taking the extra seat when people are on standby for the flight. I am assuming UA refunds the extra seat cost but would they refund both when the pax states if I do not keep the extra seat then not flying and refund cost for both seats. The recent flights I was in were fully packed with people on the standby list who did not get to board the flight hence my question.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Kidos to your employer! 👏👏👏

Now I just need to ensure I an on the same flight and in the same row as you for my future flights.

I have read precious reports of UA taking the extra seat when people are on standby for the flight. I am assuming UA refunds the extra seat cost but would they refund both when the pax states if I do not keep the extra seat then not flying and refund cost for both seats. The recent flights I was in were fully packed with people on the standby list who did not get to board the flight hence my question.
They are NOT suppose to be taking the extra seat - this is an error on the part of the agent, and it's your responsibility as the extra seat owner to fight back. Aside from the agent, you need to watch out for poachers who will try to take the seat during boarding. Make sure when boarding you are clear with the agent that you have an extra seat, and both your boarding passes are scanned - if the extra seat boarding pass is not scanned, the seat will 'no show' at cut-off, and it could be re-assigned. When I booked my extra seat on a flight a couple years back, I was proactive with the agent, and she made sure both passes were scanned, and made sure the other GA was aware - sure enough during boarding, some dimwit walked over and said "oh, I'll sit right here", which resulted in my needing to bark at them to get away, and the GA happened to be nearby, so she told the poacher to get to the back of the plane and sit in her assigned seat.

What works well is booking aisle/middle so you can physically block someone from trying to sit there while you get the GA to intervene - I prefer windows, so I booked middle/window and slid over to the middle seat to block the poacher, so during boarding you might want to occupy the middle in that case, and then make sure your carry-on is under that seat so you have free space in front of you.
PTahCha, Xyzzy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
TRASH. thanks for the link which I had already consulted.
My question was about the ability of a pax to purchase 2 extraseats and not just the one extraseat which I have already purchased.
e.g. 1K pax + extraseat #1 + extraseat #2 .
Thanks for your info.
Anyone knowing about this situation, please?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2020 at 10:43 am Reason: repaired post
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Anyone knowing about this situation, please?
It does not appear many have tried this.
What happened when you called and asked?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It does not appear many have tried this.
What happened when you called and asked?
Put on hold with 1K agent; she checked and returned to report that even supervisor didn't know and then I lost phone connection. Hang up by agent??
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Hang up by agent??
Getting discontinued during transfers not unusual -- happems with many phone customer services -- so regular with my insurance company they take my phone number "in case we disconnected"

My guess this is an exceptional rare / unique request -- even if potentially possible you will unlikely find someone that would know how to set this up and then at the gate a GA that can figure out how to handle this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Getting discontinued during transfers not unusual -- happems with many phone customer services -- so regular with my insurance company they take my phone number "in case we disconnected"

My guess this is an exceptional rare / unique request -- even if potentially possible you will unlikely find someone that would know how to set this up and then at the gate a GA that can figure out how to handle this.
WineCountryUA, follow up to my issue of adding 2 ExtraSeats to my original itinerary. Originally, I had purchased a single EXTRASEAT; was able to purchase a second EXTRASEAT on a different locator which was cross-referenced to the original itinerary. End result was 3 seats in Basic Economy ($14.10 each) with total allowed check-in baggage allowance of 9 bags as a 1K. Much much less expensive than paying extra bag charges.
All is well. Thank you for your input to my inquiry.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:10 pm

End result was 3 seats in Basic Economy ($14.10 each) with total allowed check-in baggage allowance of 9 bags as a 1K. Much much less expensive than paying extra bag charges. ....
A novel solution, did any of the airports agents get pruzzles? Thanks for letting us know of the outcome.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
WineCountryUA, follow up to my issue of adding 2 ExtraSeats to my original itinerary. Originally, I had purchased a single EXTRASEAT; was able to purchase a second EXTRASEAT on a different locator which was cross-referenced to the original itinerary. End result was 3 seats in Basic Economy ($14.10 each) with total allowed check-in baggage allowance of 9 bags as a 1K. Much much less expensive than paying extra bag charges.
did you have any issues at the airport with boarding, gate agents or seat poaching?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
did you have any issues at the airport with boarding, gate agents or seat poaching?
Departing EWR on 5August; I'll report back after the flight.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure if you were actually planning on checking 9 bags but the second extra seat on a different PNR (the "link" is just a note, computer won't read it) I suspect won't have the baggage allowance automatically calculated which would mean a pain in the butt to get a supervisor to fix at check-in.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Not sure if you were actually planning on checking 9 bags but the second extra seat on a different PNR (the "link" is just a note, computer won't read it) I suspect won't have the baggage allowance automatically calculated which would mean a pain in the butt to get a supervisor to fix at check-in.
Just checked in with total of 9 bags 32k each. No curbside checkin at EWR due to COVID-19.
Needed a supervisor to iron out the minimal issues with multiple record locators. Now on aircraft with empty seat as per my EXTRASEAT.
Second EXTRASEAT allowed another pax to have adjacent seat unoccupied.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:20 pm

Can you have 2 PNRs that only share one flight and utilize two seats on that flight?

I have an ANA ticketed flight XXX-LAX-DEN and I want to purchase a oneway LAX-DEN-XXX ticket with the LAX-DEN leg being for the same flight. Ideally, I would like to have use of both seats on the LAX-DEN leg. Is this possible? I know how to purchase a second seat for the same itinerary (many threads on this), but not sure how to do it for two different overlapping PNRs. I assume that both tickets have to be in the primary name since there will be legs being flown without a second ticket. I will be flying with a lap-child if that makes any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.