Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 25, 22, 2:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher View Post
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 20, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Thanks. I do wonder if this will count as PQP under the new scheme or not....
I would not expect it to, did not count for PQDs nor PQMs in the previous system -- just RDMs.
Old Jan 22, 20, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I would not expect it to, did not count for PQDs nor PQMs in the previous system -- just RDMs.
True, but "upgrades" didn't count towards PQMs in the old system and they do for PQP. Will be interested to hear any experiences.
Old Jan 28, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Following up - it sounds like it will only earn base RDM and no PQP, based on the call I had with 1K hotline helping me book the extra seat this evening. A bit disappointed.
Old Jan 28, 20, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Following up - it sounds like it will only earn base RDM and no PQP, based on the call I had with 1K hotline helping me book the extra seat this evening. A bit disappointed.
Consident with previous earnings.
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
1K checked baggage allowance

Hello. 1K looking to increased checked baggage allowance on both domestic and international flights. If I were to purchase two BE tickets both for myself on same flight, would I be granted the checked luggage of each itinerary
(i.e. total of 6 bags with max 70 lbs. each?)
What about on an international award ticket in same situation?
(i.e. 2 identical itineraries both in my name on same flights?)
first flight on UA connecting to TK: total of 6 bags each with 70 lbs. limit?
jsloan, might you know?
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t think it works like this but honestly don’t know.
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
Hello. 1K looking to increased checked baggage allowance on both domestic and international flights. If I were to purchase two BE tickets both for myself on same flight, would I be granted the checked luggage of each itinerary
jsloan, might you know?
I'm afraid I don't know. But I appreciate the shout-out. Here's the relevant thread: How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

My guess would be that if you did it on a single PNR, the 1K luggage allowance would carry over to the second ticket, but I'm not sure. For an interline ticket, you'd probably want to ask for experience. I don't know if TK even allows EXTRASEAT.
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I'm afraid I don't know. But I appreciate the shout-out. Here's the relevant thread: How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

My guess would be that if you did it on a single PNR, the 1K luggage allowance would carry over to the second ticket, but I'm not sure. For an interline ticket, you'd probably want to ask for experience. I don't know if TK even allows EXTRASEAT.
jsloan. Thanks for the info. On a domestic itinerary, is "EXTRASEAT" the only way to ticket this without running into cancellation for a duplicate booking?
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:25 pm

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...a-seating.html

united has it partially explained on their website.

No extra carry-on allowance (TSA rules, only one per passenger during screening)

you do get the second bag allowance (extra wording is that your checked baggage allowance doubled) , but no mention about elite benefits extending to second bag. But since elite benefits extend on same PNR, I expect that it'll extend
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...a-seating.html

united has it partially explained on their website.

No extra carry-on allowance (TSA rules, only one per passenger during screening)

you do get the second bag allowance (extra wording is that your checked baggage allowance doubled) , but no mention about elite benefits extending to second bag. But since elite benefits extend on same PNR, I expect that it'll extend
Excellent info. Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
jsloan, might you know?
6 bags at 70 lbs. I've done this on a domestic BE flight with 2 passengers and 1 extra seat and was afforded 9 bags at 70 lbs without pushback.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 20, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
6 bags at 70 lbs. I've done this on a domestic BE flight with 2 passengers and 1 extra seat and was afforded 9 bags at 70 lbs without pushback.
VWang1111. Good to hear that my initial thoughts have now been confirmed. Thanks to you as well!
Old Apr 5, 20, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jsloan. Thanks for the info. On a domestic itinerary, is "EXTRASEAT" the only way to ticket this without running into cancellation for a duplicate booking?
Yes, you definitely want to ticket this as EXTRASEAT, not two tickets under your own name.
Old May 27, 20, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
My company just had our return to work guidelines and the travel policy is that if we are required to fly, we will be reimbursed for purchasing an aisle/window seat + middle seat. How does one go about booking two seats? From some basic reading on TPG, I saw that you must book with the name EXTRASEAT LASTNAME. How will rewards work? The same article states that I will receive double award miles but only PQPs for 1 seat. Is this true? Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 20 at 12:58 pm Reason: Moved to exisiting thread
Old May 27, 20, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport View Post
My company just had our return to work guidelines and the travel policy is that if we are required to fly, we will be reimbursed for purchasing an aisle/window seat + middle seat. How does one go about booking two seats? From some basic reading on TPG, I saw that you must book with the name EXTRASEAT LASTNAME. ...
The thread's wiki covers the details but best done with an agent and common PNR. But folks recently have been able to do online also

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport View Post
How will rewards work? The same article states that I will receive double award miles but only PQPs for 1 seat. Is this true? ....
That has been the practice.

Search this Thread