Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 25, 22, 2:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher View Post
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 4, 18, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
I have an extra seat booked for a Europe-US flight in November (Mr. Exst Lancelot21), and I'm trying to confirm the baggage allowance...
Just to close the loop, I showed up at CDG with two people (both 1K), one EXTRA SEAT, and eight bags. The agent didn't look anything up, but said my extra seat also got my 1K allowance of three 70 pound bags. So all eight bags (most approaching 70 pounds) were checked without any issues. On a couple of overstuffed duffels, I'm glad she didn't measure the exact dimensions because they were oversized!
iluv2fly and Xyzzy like this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 10:51 pm

Buying extra seat SFO-SIN?

Stuck in economy for a YYZ-SFO-SIN roundtrip itinerary. I'm travelling with my SO and I'm contemplating buying an extra seat so we can take up a whole row. Economy Plus looks to be about 200 USD pp for each SFO-SIN leg. If the extra seat is at the same price as the ticket I just booked, it would be 797 CAD/609 USD roundtrip. Is this doable? Would I earn additional miles if I'm crediting to Asiana? Looking at the total seat width, is it even possible to lie across a row?

TIA for any opinions.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 19 at 11:08 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Feb 3, 19, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Stuck in economy for a YYZ-SFO-SIN roundtrip itinerary. I'm travelling with my SO and I'm contemplating buying an extra seat so we can take up a whole row. Economy Plus looks to be about 200 USD pp for each SFO-SIN leg. If the extra seat is at the same price as the ticket I just booked, it would be 797 CAD/609 USD roundtrip. Is this doable? Would I earn additional miles if I'm crediting to Asiana? Looking at the total seat width, is it even possible to lie across a row?

TIA for any opinions.
Im not sure about crediting to asiana but as far as lie flat across the 787, its a knee bending lie down. With two people, one persons feet will definitely be on the lap of the other person. Also this depend on how tall you are but I would say anything over 55 would require the lie down person to somewhat bend their knees.
Old Feb 3, 19, 11:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Stuck in economy for a YYZ-SFO-SIN roundtrip itinerary. I'm travelling with my SO and I'm contemplating buying an extra seat so we can take up a whole row. Economy Plus looks to be about 200 USD pp for each SFO-SIN leg. If the extra seat is at the same price as the ticket I just booked, it would be 797 CAD/609 USD roundtrip. Is this doable? ...
The EXTRASEAT process is described in this thread's wiki your post has been moved to.

Would I earn additional miles if I'm crediting to Asiana? ...
UA allows you to earn RDMs (award miles) crediting to UA's MP program, so it may be possible to credit to OZ (unless OZ as a restriction).

Looking at the total seat width, is it even possible to lie across a row? ...
for one person across 3 seats, yes -- you're talking a little under 5 ft, so most will need to bend their knees and if you are much over 6 ft, it will get tight. But what does your companion do? Only a shorter person could lie down with their head in the lap of the other,
Old May 27, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
If you buy this for extra luggage, I know they need to initially be booked in same fare class to be on same pnr but can you buy-up just your actual seat?
Old Aug 6, 19, 4:12 pm

I haven't been able to book saver J award tickets for my return trip MEL-LAX, but saver Y is plentiful. I'm flying with two adults and two elementary school age kids. Given the narrow seat widths on the 787, I'd gladly pay an extra 40k miles x2 to block the middle seat on MEL-LAX, so that the adults get the aisles, the kids get the windows, and the middle is there to spread out or sleep. Is there any way to use award miles to buy an empty seat, in the way fliers of size can buy the adjacent seat or musicians can buy a seat for their instruments? If so, how do I go about it / what do I ask for? I assume I'd need to call.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 6, 19 at 8:35 pm Reason: split post - moved to exisiting thread
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I was just able to book an extra seat on miles to add to my wife/child's itinerary on a paid ticket. The wiki says that it's not possible to combine paid/miles but after 30 minutes on the phone, the agent was able to take care of it no problem, just a little wait to ensure the process is correct. I believe it was with an extra PNR because the name is LASTNAME/EXST
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by hawkswin View Post
I was just able to book an extra seat on miles to add to my wife/child's itinerary on a paid ticket. The wiki says that it's not possible to combine paid/miles but after 30 minutes on the phone, the agent was able to take care of it no problem, just a little wait to ensure the process is correct. I believe it was with an extra PNR because the name is LASTNAME/EXST
They can be "linked" via a note referencing each PNR, but its just a manual note and would still need to be referenced separately if any changes or IRROPS (nothing new). I would be astonished (and it may be a FT first) if you have all 3 tickets now on the same single PNR.
Old Sep 30, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I believe it was with an extra PNR because the name is LASTNAME/EXST
No, it is an extra PNR because it was not booked with the other PNR plus being miles vs paid, it could not be on the same PNR. Those are the reasons for the wiki statements. This is a separate ticket, not a combined ticket and is a bit unorthodox.

It could have been on the same PNR if booked at the time of the original tickets and if of the same type of ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 19 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 1, 19, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've done this very thing successfully, albeit with needing to block a poacher from trying to grab the extra seat until the GA dragged her to her seat in the back. Just make sure you scan ALL the boarding passes when you board so the extra seat is not off-loaded and re-assigned, and let the lead GA know you have a paid extra seat for more space as you are boarding so they are aware of the arrangement.
wxguy and jhayes_1780 like this.
Old Oct 15, 19, 8:39 am
O62

Extra seat for only one segment of flight

Allo everyone. Wife, myself, and little one (1.5 yr) are flying DTW-DEN-MRY in December. Due to schedule constraints, we've had to book the later flight which means little one is not going to be as happy as she is with morning flights. While the 2x2 seating is not a problem on DEN-MRY, the 3x3 seating from DTW-DEN is not as ideal (we'd rather not subject a rando with the vagaries of a 1.5's moodswings). Hoping for an empty seat next to us is a bad strategy, so we are wondering if anyone had experience buying an extra seat just for one segment (DTW-DEN)? I feel like this would break UA's technology and their staff's mind, but maybe it's possible?
Old Oct 15, 19, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by O62 View Post
Extra seat for only one segment of flight
See some relevant discussion starting here
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
If I want to buy another seat for myself on a UA flight, is it as simple as purchasing another ticket on the same flight on a different PNR and selecting the seat I want to keep empty?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 20 at 8:29 pm Reason: Moved to consolidated thread
Old Jan 2, 20, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
If I want to buy another seat for myself on a UA flight, is it as simple as purchasing another ticket on the same flight on a different PNR and selecting the seat I want to keep empty?
A bit more complicated but not much. Best to use an agent but some have handled themselves. The terminology "EXTRASEAT" or its variants is important, see the thread's wiki for more details.
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
A bit more complicated but not much. Best to use an agent but some have handled themselves. The terminology "EXTRASEAT" or its variants is important, see the thread's wiki for more details.
Thanks. I do wonder if this will count as PQP under the new scheme or not. I will report back if I decide to go ahead with the extra seat.

Search this Thread