Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United is expanding into A gates at Denver (& some C gates)

United is expanding into A gates at Denver (& some C gates)

Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if that Smashburger location in Concourse B will ever actually open? Never seen a project take this long in an airport.
I know what you mean. How long does it take to throw in a griddle, some air handlers, and service counters?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if that Smashburger location in Concourse B will ever actually open? Never seen a project take this long in an airport.
Possibly some continuing litigation:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/2...uit-dismissed/
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

Very interesting. Figures something was up given lack of any activity for so long.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

That article is from last July.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Reports from an employee-only Q&A session on 1Q earnings suggest that United is actively negotiating with the City for more gates at DEN beyond the expansion that's already underway.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by tods27
I reached out to the airport this morning, all I got in response is "opening soon", but no firm date.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by tods27
Which is why I said "possibly." @:-)
tods27 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
My issue with RTD buses is DIA could have made it convenient by having the pickup and dropoff at Level 5 as before. Instead it is at Level 1 with having to wait out in the open for the bus/train. If you want covered place in Level 1 to sit, then the only place is 4 seats on the way to the hotel escalators. Even the escalators up to security are exposed and darn cold during winter. Not to mention if you are checking bags, then you have to take the escalators then find elevators to get to baggage drop offs.

Whereas if you come by car, you can be dropped right off at checkin without any of the hassles that you go through taking transit. Why not channel all the cars to Level 1 to reduce congestion and move all Buses to Level 5? How about that? Probably never going to happen...

AB has improved over the last few years. More frequency and the 470 route. The 36/270/70 route was horrible including the one journey that went through Stapleton for a 2 hour trip.
I personally don't mind the level 1 drop off. It's really not that bad. If it's really that cold, you can take the elevators in the Westin, but I've never had this be an issue as I usually just walk up the escalator and it takes 20-30 seconds tops. I actually found the level 5 "waiting area" outside at the last island to be substantially colder than the tunnel on level 1 -- I distinctly remember getting wind-blasted there several times. And, given that the buses depart on a fixed schedule, you don't have to wait outside -- you can wait anywhere in the terminal and make your way out there a few minutes before departure of the bus.

Regarding the comparison to driving, not everyone who drives gets "dropped off" -- most of us would be parking in a remote lot somewhere and having an extended walk or shuttle ride .

I can't complain about the AB -- my Boulder pick up point is a short walk from home, I can work the entire bus ride, and it's by far the best deal in town price wise.

One thing that I will agree with you on is that it would be nice to have an upward-moving escalator inside the doors that lead right to the GS/1K baggage drop area. I don't often have bags, but when I do...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador
A37

My flight from DEN-MKE on April 13 was out of A37. It was a cluster. Not enough seating, PA was not loud enough, and no boarding signs. When they called for boarding everyone rushed the gate, they tried to make an announcement but no one could hear. Gate agent then stepped out from the desk and said we are only pre-boarding please step back everyone. I think United needs to get proper equipment (at least the boarding zone signs which are easy to transport) at these gates before flights start.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I saw the HVAC contractor doing test and balance last week and some furniture had been delivered inside. Usually that is one of the last steps to opening.

Very strange about the A gates, I have heard several announcements in the last couple of weeks of connecting flights being int eh A gates and figured that they were announcing other airlines connections.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond, National EE
It's probably designed by the same brain surgeons who decided that a crowded bar/restaurant like New Belgium would be best served by having shuffleboard tables rather than more seats. They might be struggling with ways to decrease customer satisfaction and bring in less revenue too!
Old May 20, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
DEN-CVG 20May19 out of C38 gate?

I heard that some UA flights were going out of A, but a C gate? 3 hours out now, is that just a place holder?

UA hates this CVG flight. It is always at the extreme ends of B and had 170/175s for like two months before going to 319/320s.

Kind of makes a Club pass useless since this is my monthly trip. If I'm going out to C, I might as well fly Delta.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:18 am

Mentioned last month in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30984112-post62.html
Old May 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I heard that some UA flights were going out of A, but a C gate? 3 hours out now, is that just a place holder?

UA hates this CVG flight. It is always at the extreme ends of B and had 170/175s for like two months before going to 319/320s.

Kind of makes a Club pass useless since this is my monthly trip. If I'm going out to C, I might as well fly Delta.
Delta flies out of A gates at DEN. WN flies DEN-CVG direct now too.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
When did that happen? From what I remember from 6 years ago, A used to be all Frontier and internationals and I used to catch delta out of C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.