Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA should be able to ticket the bag(s) straight through to EWR at KOA. Just show up at least 15-30 minutes earlier than normal to allow an inexperienced agent figure it out. An experienced agent will do it in less than 5 minutes, but you can’t count on getting one.
Would this also be possible on a code share with Hawaian on the EWR-SFO segment?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gold23
Would this also be possible on a code share with Hawaian on the EWR-SFO segment?
Not sure what you mean here. However, HA usually will not check through on separate tickets to UA. Can you be more specific?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: A3*G
Interline UA BE to SQ

Hi all, I have a SEA-SFO UA Basic Economy fare, and I will be catching SQ flight from SFO.

I have just read that there may be issues with interlining UA Basic Economy fares - wondering if I would be affected? I have no problems paying for the checked baggage fees for my UA flight. Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaklormee
I have just read that there may be issues with interlining UA Basic Economy fares - wondering if I would be affected? I have no problems paying for the checked baggage fees for my UA flight. Thanks!
You might, yes. Based upon recent reports, UA may no longer be interlining to *A partners on separate tickets when the initial ticket is Basic Economy.

Note that this is anecdotal and is not specified in their rules:

If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights. For a trip that includes a voluntary stopover, your bags will be checked to your stopover point, where you will collect your bags. When you resume travel, subject to applicable charges, you may check your bags again from the new point of check-in to the destination.
So, you can certainly try to argue and get your bag checked. How much time do you have between flights?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by jsloan
You might, yes. Based upon recent reports, UA may no longer be interlining to *A partners on separate tickets when the initial ticket is Basic Economy.

Note that this is anecdotal and is not specified in their rules:

So, you can certainly try to argue and get your bag checked. How much time do you have between flights?
I see. I saw the same lines in UA's website and I will certainly try to get the bags checked through.

I have about 3.5 hours between my flight, so barring any severe delays, I should still be able to collect my bags and check in again. But this would mean less time to enjoy the Polaris lounge at SFO...
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:09 pm

All, I've got two United flights on the same day with a long stopover. The flights are on separate reservations and include checked bags because of MileagePlus status. I'm flying into Chicago for a meeting and then continuing from Chicago that evening for the rest of my trip. I have the afternoon in Chicago and would love to be able to check the roller board to my final destination rather than wheel it around town.

United tells me that since both legs are domestic, it will only check my bag to the final destination if I have than four hours between flights. The agent also said that I can't check my bag in for the 2nd flight until 4 hours prior to flight time. What is this policy I see referenced on the FT board about United checking bags through if there are fewer than 13 hours between flight segments and no overnights?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I think that the agent is entirely wrong, both as to checking across tickets and as to a four-hour bag check maximum at ORD. However, the key here is tickets, not reservations.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Has anyone had any trouble with outstations/contract emplyees? I'm flying ALB-EWR on an award with a 6 hour connection to EWR-IAD-ZRH-LUG, final leg on LX, paid, and the UA legs upgraded with a GPU. I remember having trouble in the past in ALB with separate tickets on *A and checking bags, though I forgot the details. If I do run into trouble, is there any way I could push them along? A SHARES code I could suggest?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
,,, If I do run into trouble, is there any way I could push them along? A SHARES code I could suggest?
Suggest the call the Help Desk -- mention something like the last time I had this issue a co-worker suggested to the counter agent to call the Helo Desk and that worked.
SPN Lifer and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by missko
All, I've got two United flights on the same day with a long stopover. The flights are on separate reservations and include checked bags because of MileagePlus status. I'm flying into Chicago for a meeting and then continuing from Chicago that evening for the rest of my trip. I have the afternoon in Chicago and would love to be able to check the roller board to my final destination rather than wheel it around town.

United tells me that since both legs are domestic, it will only check my bag to the final destination if I have than four hours between flights. The agent also said that I can't check my bag in for the 2nd flight until 4 hours prior to flight time. What is this policy I see referenced on the FT board about United checking bags through if there are fewer than 13 hours between flight segments and no overnights?
As follow up ... The LaGuardia gate agent kindly checked my bag to my last stop. My flights were on two tickets booked under two reservations. The gate agent made no mention of the 11 hours between my domestic flights.

She said she needed to link the two reservations to check my bag across both tickets. She said she could do so if my name matched on both (which it did). She also mentioned that with long layovers, United sometimes puts bags on an earlier flight.
jsloan and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Am I going to run into any issues if I upgrade the flights on one of my PNR's but not the other PNR? My baggage allowances will thus be different on the two tickets, with the initial segments being in F. Will I have to still pay for baggage as if I am on a Y ticket?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
Am I going to run into any issues if I upgrade the flights on one of my PNR's but not the other PNR? My baggage allowances will thus be different on the two tickets, with the initial segments being in F. Will I have to still pay for baggage as if I am on a Y ticket?
Probably not. UA's default is to use the allowance for the highest class of service on a trip. It shouldn't be any different than upgrading one leg of a multi-leg PNR. If they put it into the computer properly, the F luggage allowance should prevail.

The only concern I'd have is that some agents love to make up their own rules and may refuse to interline the baggage at all. "Oh, we can't do that unless you're in the same class of service the whole way." I don't think that's likely, but I can't rule it out entirely.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Probably not. UA's default is to use the allowance for the highest class of service on a trip. It shouldn't be any different than upgrading one leg of a multi-leg PNR. If they put it into the computer properly, the F luggage allowance should prevail.

The only concern I'd have is that some agents love to make up their own rules and may refuse to interline the baggage at all. "Oh, we can't do that unless you're in the same class of service the whole way." I don't think that's likely, but I can't rule it out entirely.
Ok, that's mostly reassuring
I am arriving at the end of one PNR in the morning, spending the day there, and then leaving on the other PNR in the evening, so I think worst case scenario I will just "be a little slow" picking up my baggage from the carousel and get it from the luggage office when I am back to the airport in the evening.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Uh...

I don't know what the agent was thinking, but "merging" tickets isn't necessary (and, for that matter, isn't really possible without some serious black magic). The correct procedure is to add your downline flights onto the first PNR, issue the bag tag, and then remove them. SHARES will validate inventory on the UA segment added to the first PNR, which can be a hassle if the flight is sold out, but not on the partner segment. No tickets should have to be re-issued -- certainly not the second ticket, which isn't even supposed to be touched during the procedure. Next time, I'd try asking if they'd call the help desk. (I'd also try to find a different agent, because I'd really want to avoid whatever it was that your agent today was planning. )
Just make sure you check immediately that your return reservation is intact. I had a surprise when I went to check in for my return flight and found that one of the 2 legs was gone (and no longer available). They got me on alternate routing but it was a scary hour. Took them awhile to figure out what happened - turns out the EWR agent accidentally deleted the first leg of my return in addition to the ones she had put in for the luggage tag to print.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:36 pm

Just wanted to give an update on my situation. Bags were checked through to the final destination on the 2nd PNR. Took less than 10 minutes to get done, and the higher allowance on the first PNR was honored for both PNR's. Bags arrived on an earlier flight.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and missko like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.