Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Try checking it all the way thru at PVR?

Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by baby catch
I am flying from PVD-EWR on a separate itin to connect with a flight to Athens. I land at 07:30 and leave EWR for ATH at 3:45pm. Will have to collect my checked bag and then recheck but does anyone know if they have a time limit before the flight to check my back to ATH. I have looked on United's site and did not find any info. Thanks for a quick answer
if both flights are on UA they can check bags through to ATH at PVD, unless you have need for the checked bag at EWR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Why do you necessarily have to collect your bag and re-check? I wouldn't stipulate to that.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I am flying from PVD-EWR on a separate itin to connect with a flight to Athens. I land at 07:30 and leave EWR for ATH at 3:45pm. Will have to collect my checked bag and then recheck but does anyone know if they have a time limit before the flight to check my back to ATH. I have looked on United's site and did not find any info. Thanks for a quick answer
When you check in for PVD in the morning tell them that you are connecting in EWR to ATH -- they should be able print a bag tag for ATH and then you won't have to worry about it in EWR. If for some reason they can't you will have to exit security, pick up your bag -- recheck it to ATH and then re-clear security in EWR. Since you have so much time it won't be an issue -- just a hassle.
SPN Lifer and opusx100 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: Platinum UA, Titanium Marriot
Thanks! I wonder if you have status. platinum if they might be accommodating

No separate itinerary

thanks I will ask them to do just that, as you say no worries since I have 6 hours. Will be a long Polaris Stay

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2024 at 11:21 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No separate itinerary
Is the PVD-EWR flight UA, though? If so they can check it through.

edit: it must be, I don't see any other carrier serving that route.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If all on a single ticket, it will be checked to the destination ...
And if it's not a single ticket, but it's all on UA metal? I just booked two separate tickets (LAX-EWR; EWR-CDG) for my MIL for our family summer travel. (Hey, it made sense at the time! ) Maybe I can convince an agent at LAX to check it from LAX to EWR and then from EWR to CDG?

ETA: OK, now that my post has been moved, I can see that the answer would appear to be 'yes'. If that's not going to be the case, I'll have to hustle. Our connection time is just 130 minutes, and my MIL is slow.

Last edited by iapetus; Apr 2, 2024 at 5:56 pm Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
And if it's not a single ticket, but it's all on UA metal? I just booked two separate tickets (LAX-EWR; EWR-CDG) for my MIL for our family summer travel. (Hey, it made sense at the time! ) Maybe I can convince an agent at LAX to check it from LAX to EWR and then from EWR to CDG?
Yes can be done but allow extra time at LAX to check bags, this is doable but hard than with a partner especially if 2nd flight is soldout.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...No separate itinerary...
In first post, you say itineraries, now you say no separate itinerary. What is it????
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
In first post, you say itineraries, now you say no separate itinerary. What is it????

Maybe they meant to write: "No, separate itinerary" with a comma?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... but hard than with a partner especially if 2nd flight is soldout.
A couple of things about this response surprised me. 1) Assuming that you meant "harder", I'm a little confused as to why it would be easier if the second flight were on a partner airline. Did I misunderstand? 2) I don't understand how the capacity of the second flight factors. Could you please explain?

And then, of course, I realized that I'm an idiot. This is all purely theoretical. The obvious thing to do is for me to just check her bag through to CDG under my name; I am on a single itinerary. But, in the name of education, I am still curious about my questions above.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
A couple of things about this response surprised me. 1) Assuming that you meant "harder", I'm a little confused as to why it would be easier if the second flight were on a partner airline. Did I misunderstand? 2) I don't understand how the capacity of the second flight factors. Could you please explain?
The process to check luggage through on separate itineraries is to add the second itinerary's flights to the first so that bag tags can be printed. If they're partner airlines, SHARES -- UA's underlying Computer Reservation System -- trusts the agent. If they're on UA, SHARES will try to be helpful and validate inventory for the change it thinks the agent is trying to make. If there's no inventory available, the agent likely needs to get a help desk supervisor to open inventory temporarily, which can be a challenge.
SPN Lifer and iapetus like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Just denied at ONT.. 2 separate PNRs on UA metal, ONT-SFO-FCO, 9 hour layover. I asked, got an eye roll then was told cutoff is 4 hours so she couldn't do it. Nobody else around. Now I have to lug my luggage with me or store it so i can use the Polaris lounge until I check in
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by seigex
Just denied at ONT.. 2 separate PNRs on UA metal, ONT-SFO-FCO, 9 hour layover. I asked, got an eye roll then was told cutoff is 4 hours so she couldn't do it. Nobody else around. Now I have to lug my luggage with me or store it so i can use the Polaris lounge until I check in
You have a 9 hour layover in SFO? If you pick up your checked bag in SFO and recheck it (outside security) to FCO I doubt they'll give you an issue with checking luggage > 4 hours before departure. I've had no issues with this before when departing UA hubs. At PDX and DRO I did have an issue, but those are out stations for UA.
SFO 1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta 5.5mm, UA, AA 1.mm, Hilton Diamond Hyatt, Marriott
Transiting in Guam to and from Palau

We have United tickets MIA IAH NRT GUM and a return GUM NRT IAH MIA all in business. We also have 2 roundtrips GUM to ROR also on United. Our transfer time GUM to ROR is 21:45 to 23:40. We have ship on dive gear that I assume has to be picked up at GUM and then put back in the system for the flight to Palau. Two questions: since the whole trip is on United will they check our ship on bags on through GUM without us picking them up. If not, will we have enough time to enter Guam, pick up our shipped on dive gear and then check in for our flight to ROR? Thanks for any advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.