Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bought A then had to standby due to irrops - What am I due?

Old Mar 12, 16, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Coming home thru LAX to ORD with my Mom, got a text on the way to the airport that my flight was delayed from 11:38 to 4:00 due to maintenance. Would miss the last flight from ORD to MLI. No seats in either F or Y on the flights before 4.

Was able to get us on via standby on the 1:30 flight as a K fare. Not sure why it was issued as a K fare. My original flight was an A fare. So did not even get the double EQM.

What compensation are we due? We got to MLI as expected but did not get our 1st class seats.

I looked at the Refund info on the website but cannot find anything about this situation.
Old Mar 12, 16, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JackieC2 View Post
What compensation are we due?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tc-2016-a.html.

In addition to downgrade compensation, you should also contact United for Original Routing Credit, which would include any bonuses from the A fare.
Old Mar 12, 16, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Was this on Monday? I think I was watching your flight -- it emptied out from people switching to other flights. I was also flying LAX-ORD on an A ticket and same-day-changed to a really early flight anticipating a meltdown from the storms. Glad I did because would have missed my connection otherwise.
Old Mar 12, 16, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simmang View Post
Was this on Monday? I think I was watching your flight -- it emptied out from people switching to other flights. I was also flying LAX-ORD on an A ticket and same-day-changed to a really early flight anticipating a meltdown from the storms. Glad I did because would have missed my connection otherwise.
Yes this was Monday. Smart of you to get out of there early. The plane I was supposed to be on came in from HNL the night before. If there would have been more advanced notice, rather than just 90 minutes prior to the flight, we would have tried to get on an earlier flight. My Mom is 96 and this is probably her last flight so disappointed we lost out on 1st class.
Old Mar 12, 16, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post

In addition to downgrade compensation, you should also contact United for Original Routing Credit, which would include any bonuses from the A fare.
Thanks for the link. I searched and then went thru the first 15 pages and did not find it. I thought I had seen a thread like this previously.

I used a $500 certificate for part of my fare so guessing the difference is negative for me, but Mom may be entitled to something in addition to the comp.
Old Mar 12, 16, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post

the OP was NOT downgraded. The OP chose to VOLUNTARILY take another flight in coach because no F seats were available, thus there is no compensation due. There is likely a very small refund due given the low upfare fares these days.
Not pretty, but it's not like UA booted the OP from confirmed seats.
UA may throw in same miles or an ETC.
Old Mar 12, 16, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP was not DG, but took a reroute (which made sense given the delays vs. short flight). But, UA will still grant ORC.
Old Mar 12, 16, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

UA would have to pay for a hotel at ORD if we had not taken a standby. Would have arrived at ORD at 10:00 pm and the last flight to MLI was at 8:50 pm. Hoping that helps get something out of this.
Old Mar 12, 16, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA would have to pay for a hotel at ORD if we had not taken a standby. Would have arrived at ORD at 10:00 pm and the last flight to MLI was at 8:50 pm. Hoping that helps get something out of this.
That has zero bearing because you chose not to take the flight that would have put you in that situation. What you are due is the difference in fare. UA may toss a few RDMs your way, maybe a minimal ETC.
Old Mar 12, 16, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

correct, so ask for a $50 ETC which is equivalent to what UA would pay for an ORD hotel.

I am not sure what you asking for here ...You might get a few dollars back from not flying 'A', but it might not be much.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 12, 16 at 8:41 pm Reason: Discuss the issue not the member
Old Mar 12, 16, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I am not sure what you asking for here ... You might get a few dollars back from not flying 'A', but it might not be much.
The OP CHOSE to stay on schedule rather than delaying his trip by a day due to UA's mechanical

People sometimes buy tickets because they need to get somewhere. Going a day later may not be a reasonable option.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 12, 16 at 8:43 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original and discuss the issue not the member
Old Mar 12, 16, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa View Post
The OP CHOSE to stay on schedule rather than delaying his trip by a day due to UA's mechanical.

People sometimes buy tickets because they need to get somewhere. Going a day later may not be a reasonable option.
yup. I think UA owes a CS gesture and a refund of the difference from F to Y. The OP asked for a downgrade compensation and I think this is ludicrous.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 12, 16 at 8:44 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Mar 12, 16, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
yup. I think UA owes a CS gesture and a refund of the difference from F to Y. The OP asked for a downgrade compensation and I think this is ludicrous.
While the downgrade policy doesn't apply to this situation, it's not likely going to be much different from what he gets from CS. I think a downgrade is $250 voucher + fare difference for a flight of this length. He'll probably end up with less, but not that much less.
Old Mar 13, 16, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Where did I ask for downgrade compensation?? I asked what I was due. Others suggested downgrade compensation, but I did not ask for it.

Sounds like I am due the difference in fare and maybe UA will throw a few dollars or miles my way.

Plus the EQM for the original routing.

Last edited by JackieC2; Mar 13, 16 at 9:18 pm Reason: Adding info
Old May 3, 16, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Was given $153 each as the difference in fare for both me and my mom. Also given $125 ETC for each of us. Surprised that my mom got ETC since she has no status. Was very pleased with UA response.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: