Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Um, your head goes where the person behind you has their feet??? Even with a raised barrier (which I am sure there will be), that seems way to close... smell doesn't stop at a plastic shield...

*Some people here keep saying, "Looks great, 1-2-1" what picture are you looking at? Its 2-4-2 in business.

I get the direct aisle access could be an improvement over their current 2-4-2, just better hope your neighbors fungal foot infection doesn't shake into your salad when they take their socks off....
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Looks tight on paper, will have to wait and see what the actual hard product is like if this is what it is.

From the link as well, it sounds like the 77Ws will be based out of EWR. That is kind of surprising, given that they are accelerating retirements of the 744s - none of which fly out of EWR. Does this mean they are likely to rotate sCO 772s to ORD and SFO then?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Without seeing the seat, it appears to address some of the complaints about the existing set of UA biz seats..

- Direct aisle access
- Longer bed length
- Larger foot space

If it's a similar seat to the Sogerma (now Stelia) Solstys, there should be adequate storage space and a sturdy traytable. I also like the fact that it provides a solution for couples traveling together.

Now that the cat is nearly out of the bag, it's time for United to make an announcement.

Originally Posted by popoemt
Um, your head goes where the person behind you has their feet??? Even with a raised barrier (which I am sure there will be), that seems way to close... smell doesn't stop at a plastic shield...

*Some people here keep saying, "Looks great, 1-2-1" what picture are you looking at? Its 2-4-2 in business.

I get the direct aisle access could be an improvement over their current 2-4-2, just better hope your neighbors fungal foot infection doesn't shake into your salad when they take their socks off....
Many staggered flat business class products position the feet of the pax behind in close proximity to the head of the passenger in front. Nothing novel about this.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is the TG 773ER. It's a true 1-2-1, obviously quite different from the suspected new UA layout.

Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
ouch, this looks tight. Not sure UA can compete with such a product.
I don't think they care about competing.

Now - if the new seats are as well padded as the IPTE seats, that would be a plus.

And instead of four rows of E+ in the forward end of the aircraft, 3 rows of true premium economy would be nice.

Last edited by halls120; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I don't think they care about competing.
Competing on FlyerTalk = offering a world class premium product that one can always upgrade into from a discounted Y seat.

Competing in real life = offering a competitive product that people will pay for while still enabling a financially viable upgrade model.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is the TG 773ER. It's a true 1-2-1, obviously quite different from the suspected new UA layout.
Maybe I'm missing something, but aside from the contoured aisle seats, how is this so dramatically different?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
I don't think they care about competing....
I agree. UA has no intention of competing with the top-tier airlines in terms of cabin space per passenger. UA will go for mid- to high-density. Face it - UA is the equivalent of DoubleTree, not Ritz-Carlton.

As someone no longer travelling on OPM, I think a denser layout will be beneficial to me and, yes, I would now stay at a DT, vs R-C on OPM.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Maybe I'm missing something, but aside from the contoured aisle seats, how is this so dramatically different?
More passengers in the same space. On the aisle you have someone next to you and behind you, as opposed to the Solstys, where you only have someone behind you. In the middle, you're sharing space with three other people, rather than having only one person next to you. It's just not a true 1-2-1. It's 2-4-2.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
Competing in real life = offering a competitive product that people will pay for while still enabling a financially viable upgrade model.
When BA, AF, LH, AA and DL are offering a true PE and UA isn't, that is "not competing."

These aircraft are going to be used on long haul routes. You can't tell me that UA is going to make more money with 40 Y seats than they could with 32 PE seats.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As someone no longer travelling on OPM, I think a denser layout will be beneficial to me.
I'm retiring in a few years. If UA doesn't offer a true PE, they will lose me to BA, LH, AF, AA and DL. I'll gladly pay the extra for a more comfortable ride.

Later this year, MsHalls120 and I will be flying to Europe to see my new grandchild. I'm going to try and fly UA in BF, but if I can't find something reasonable, we're going BA, LH or AF.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - that looks awful.
+2 Even though i had the equivalent on the BA A380 of what is shown as seat 1G in Post 2 illustration ('middle bulkhead' with direct aisle access) - found it to be an inferior business class product with flight attendant reaching across the person in the aisle seat to serve me, etc.

If you want to compare it to to UA's current 2-4-2 I can see you labeling it an improvement for the middle seats, but this still looks light years inferior to so many other 1-2-1 'direct aisle access' business class options.

As one who has stopped playing the loyalty game, it won't have me considering UA for Intl Biz if there are other options on that route.

Last edited by johnru36; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It's 2-4-2. It is NOTHING like TG or OZ 380, both of which are true 1-2-1. It's similar to the generally maligned BA 380, which is also 2-4-2.

Yuck.
Originally Posted by harryhv
This layout is used by Thai and even Etihad and it works well. Aisle access for all. Best seats are those removed from the aisle, the genuine window seats for singles and the inner centre pairs for couples.
I agree with Kacee. This is not the staggered J on TG, NH, OZ. The slants and curves set it off, I'm curious what it will actually be like compared to the rendering.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
More passengers in the same space. On the aisle you have someone next to you and behind you, as opposed to the Solstys, where you only have someone behind you. In the middle, you're sharing space with three other people, rather than having only one person next to you. It's just not a true 1-2-1. It's 2-4-2.
It's really a form of a staggered 1-2-1. Not a true 1-2-1, but not a true 2-4-2, either
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:38 pm

Try the Etihad 773 for a better representation

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eti..._777-300ER.php

Personally was hoping for the Japan Airlines / Oman Air seat (also a high density layout) - but this works well and is officially a generation ahead of the Cirrus seat AA uses.

No one is griping about Etihad not having a top business class product.

Here's a video

Also remember these birds will be competing against Etihad, Qatar, Emirates for the India / Asia traffic. No premium economy on Etihad or Qatar.

And business class seating will now be equivalent, maybe better depending on customization.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just out of curiosity, how reliable is the writer's sources?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.