Ridiculous upgrade pricing on United.com

Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Air Houston
The upgrade prices have gone up considerably since early this year. This is true for both First Class seats purchased directly and for the upgrade offers received immediately after purchasing a coach ticket.
I feel United is making effort to upgrade elites rather than last minute methods.

I booked an F award on an partner. UA leg was Saver Economy so I had to wait list to IN. Waitlist IN failed despite the domestic leg being an 789 and morning 730am flight. Was surprised I ended up making it still because United upgraded elites instead of last minute options.

No TOD was offered at check-in.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I feel United is making effort to upgrade elites rather than last minute methods.

I booked an F award on an partner. UA leg was Saver Economy so I had to wait list to IN. Waitlist IN failed despite the domestic leg being an 789 and morning 730am flight. Was surprised I ended up making it still because United upgraded elites instead of last minute options.

No TOD was offered at check-in.
Do we know that's true, or just true that you didn't see any TOD's?

Not to spout cliches, but the absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence...

Greg
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by greg99
Do we know that's true, or just true that you didn't see any TOD's?

Not to spout cliches, but the absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence...

Greg
Of course!

3 PAX, family members included. I'm the only elite.

I was split off the reservation for upgrade purposes. They did not have any TOD's nor did I during OLCI, CI, and much prior to departure.

Usually UA opens all the saver premium cabin seats very close in departure. I never ran into this issue in the past. But than I haven't booked an UA international F award for an while. UA costs too much. But IMO the FSC didn't make sense on NH so I used UA.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I don't follow this comment at all. You actually begrudge UA having a team that maximizes profit? They are, after all, a for-profit company.
I guess you must be one of those who thinks the only loyalty any service company has, is to the shareholders and wall street... In that case, no wonder you dont follow my comment
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by davidviolin
I guess you must be one of those who thinks the only loyalty any service company has, is to the shareholders and wall street... In that case, no wonder you dont follow my comment
I thought the cardinal rule here was to discuss the posts, not the posters?

No, you're completely wrong about me. But why does everything have to be black and white? I mean for heaven's sake: "the only loyalty any service company has"? What's the point of debating a straw man?

Why shouldn't a for-profit company employ analysts who determine how best to monetize their assets, when their competition is doing the same thing?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE
Really ridiculous upgrade pricing

With the theme of ridiculous upgrade pricing, I thought I'd offer this example. I just booked MCO-YYC. P fare was $297 CAD more than an economy fare when booking. After booking economy, the upgrade offer was as follows:
MCO-IAH $450
IAH-YYC $5334 (a 4 hour flight)
Total $5784 CAD (about $4200 US)

Over $5000 to upgrade a 4 hour flight on a 737 is pretty ridiculous!

Thought this was pretty crazy that the upgrade offer after purchase was about 20 times the difference between economy and business booking in the first place. The flight is F9, so it's not like it's the last seat, either!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by gcashin
Over $5000 to upgrade a 4 hour flight on a 737 is pretty ridiculous!
No argument here. I just had a similar experience trying to upgrade a BOS<>DEN itinerary for this coming September. Not quite so crazy as your example, but still annoying: my economy fare is $371 r/t, and UA wants an additional $2,436 to upgrade, despite the fact that the F cabin is wide open.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Mar 11, 2016 at 10:11 am
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by gcashin

Over $5000 to upgrade a 4 hour flight on a 737 is pretty ridiculous
That is impressive, indeed.

I think it's clear that something is actually broken in the pricing logic.

The question in my mind is whether it's broken because something went wrong or if it's broken because they're transitioning to a completely different pricing logic or scheme, and the IT is out of sync.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by greg99
The question in my mind is whether it's broken because something went wrong or if it's broken because they're transitioning to a completely different pricing logic or scheme, and the IT is out of sync.
Given how long it's been like this, I think it's the former. UA can barely get their website to allow you to book tickets, so I doubt fixing this is a priority.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
For my flight GDL-SEA coach was priced at $219 and Business was $419. The offer to upgrade was over $700 though. That is just crazy that they sell the upgrade for several times what it would cost to buy a ticket outright. So after I decided to fly Business I just cancelled and rebooked. But that wouldn't have been an option had I waited more than 24 hours. Still, it would've been cheaper just to buy a new ticket rather than do the upgrade.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I thought the cardinal rule here was to discuss the posts, not the posters?

No, you're completely wrong about me. But why does everything have to be black and white? I mean for heaven's sake: "the only loyalty any service company has"? What's the point of debating a straw man?

Why shouldn't a for-profit company employ analysts who determine how best to monetize their assets, when their competition is doing the same thing?
I am glad to hear I am wrong! I hope you understand my post then better, especially my last sentence.

Any case, another data point for today... ATL-IAH t-5 hours, 3 open seats, only one person upgraded (must be GS). Upgrade offered at $199. No thanks! Before buyups, I would have been in a confirmed FC seat, a few days ago already.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ohted
I just booked a multi-city itinerary (SFO-CLE, then IND-SFO) both non-stops. When going through the checkout process the E+ pricing for the seats I wanted were $59 and $93 respectively, and the Upgrade to F screen appeared and offered me a $249 and $199 upgrade for my flights. I was in a hurry while booking so I ignored all the upgrade screens.

When I went back a half hour later to select my E+ seats the pricing had changed to $62 and $99 for my selected seats. And the F upgrade went to $783 and $865 for each of my flights.

What is this nonsense?! You offer one price during checkout, and suddenly the prices all go up?? Anyone else see this behavior during checkout, and does the price ever go back to what I was originally offered?

For the record, my SFO-CLE was "1 ticket left at this price" for W, and now the only available seating is in V, which was $30 more than what I paid originally.
So you are offered a good deal, don't take the offer, find out the offer is no longer available and you're mad at ...............
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Cancel the tickets, clear your cookies and re book,

Prices change depending on the number of hits and offers...

I have booked award space, 6 hours before departure PEK ORD, one hour before, no award.., with many seats empty in FC..
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Given how long it's been like this, I think it's the former. UA can barely get their website to allow you to book tickets, so I doubt fixing this is a priority.
Exactly. This is the answer to so many of the questions asked in this forum.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Any case, another data point for today... ATL-IAH t-5 hours, 3 open seats, only one person upgraded (must be GS). Upgrade offered at $199.
A somewhat similar data point from Friday: ORD-SFO (6pm departure), T-8 hours, only 1 open seat left, and as a Platinum I was offered the upgrade at $199. I 'knew' that I had no chance of getting the seat via CPU (I ended up at #8 on the list), so I seriously thought about it, but decided to pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.