1K agent fell asleep on phone last night

Old Mar 9, 16, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
1K agent fell asleep on phone last night

I booked a ticket which I had to cancel right away because the website seems to have issues displaying the correct fare class in certain situations (booked W outbound and selected W for return however ended up with L/W after the purchase). This occured after I changed the return date when viewing the return options. I changed from 5/1 to 5/2 and was shown a economy (flexible) fare that was a W but that seemed to change the outbound from a W to an L.

Cancelled the reservation online but instead of a refund (to CC and travel cert), I was given a flight credit. Thought it was odd but could work with it since I was going to buy this ticket soon. I went to the inactive reservation and clicked on change flights. The search would not work to return certain fare classes (w,v) that I put in - always returning a low fare class (L). Choosing flexible fare I was only given B fares. Additionally, it showed a $300 change fee!

So I pick up the phone and call UA. I get a new (to me) automated greeting saying something about the 1K desk and the agent name. The agent spoke a little and I told her my issue and gave her my Conf#. She was a little incoherent and seemed to be slurring her speech but I rolled with it. She was having trouble bringing it up and asked for the Conf# again. after a min, again some incoherent words. After about 5 minutes I ask if there is a system issue and if I should call back, I got some mumbling about the system was slow. Again a long period of silence finally broken by light snoring. I listened as this got louder as time went on wishing I had some ability to record this. I hung up and called back this time getting a wide awake agent who was able to force a refund.

Last edited by ORDFlyer33; Mar 9, 16 at 9:29 am Reason: spelling / shorten
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:21 am

TLDR; sorry.

If you feel the agent should be disciplined, then call back, ask for a supervisor, give them your info, the time you called, the agents name, and they can pull the recorded call.
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:38 am

Are you telling this as a humorous anecdote or asking what your next steps are to try to get UA to discipline the agent?
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
Are you telling this as a humorous anecdote or asking what your next steps are to try to get UA to discipline the agent?
Why does it have to be either/or? Both options are justifiable.
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:49 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
That's hilarious.
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by UTex09 View Post
That's hilarious.
+1. This is the funniest thing I've read all day.

I hope the OP posted it as nothing more than that.

If I was on the horn and started hearing snoring I would have needed my inhaler from laughing so hard.
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Oh dear, I hope she was okay. That could indicate a serious medical problem. I'm not sure whether there is a way to ask UA res "please look up the last agent who [handled my call/viewed this reservation] and have someone contact them and make sure they are okay."
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I feel for the agent. Who knows the backstory, leading to the situation?
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I feel for the agent. Who knows the backstory, leading to the situation?
Could be anything from working a third job to partying all night.
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
+1. This is the funniest thing I've read all day.

If I was on the horn and started hearing snoring I would have needed my inhaler from laughing so hard.
In my company our management team has a rule - no matter where we are in the world -and what time it is - we all call in to a management meeting via go to meeting once per month. On one call our chief HR officer was in Jakarta and she fell asleep during the call (it was 2am for her) and she started snoring so loud we had to end the meeting - to this day it's one of the funniest things I've ever experienced - she would occasionally stop and we would try and go on - but then it would come back and we'd all lose it - I was literally crying it was so funny....

Feel bad for the agent - who knows what or why - and OP I'm sure it was frustrating - I'd give them a break and let it go....
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool story, bro.
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:10 am

I had the same thing happen with a UA agent a couple years ago. Put me on hold but forgot to put it on mute, and heard the snores. I stayed on for about 20 minutes for the heck of it, and she woke up to complete things.
Old Mar 9, 16, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Now I know what all the agents are doing when they put me on hold to "talk to a supervisor".

Old Mar 9, 16, 11:53 am

About 6-7 years ago, a remote agent from my department said that he wasn't feeling well, but didn't want to take sick time. He and our supervisor were in contact and he stopped responding. Since he lived alone, his local fire dept was called and had to break in the house. He had died of a heart attack right at his desk.

The issues that the OP encountered could just be an agent that was falling asleep due to outside of work habits, or for some other reason. I would call back, give the agent's name and have somebody check on them. If it's that the agent just fell asleep there are disciplinary actions that need to be taken. If it's the latter, then you might have saved a life.
Old Mar 9, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The OP indicates they heard the agent snoring. That would seem to make serious medical issue very unlikely...no need to go breaking down front doors.

For me, this is just a humorous story of the perils of shift work. Similar to my exit of Vietnam last year for an early morning flight...and found the immigration agent asleep in their booth.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: