Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Proactive Customer Service Recovery - The New United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by seenitall
Definitely an exception. Two weeks ago, my flight from EWR to IAD was delayed (in 30 minute increments) by close to 9 hours. No offer of any compensation -- but UA sure knew about it because when a day later I received an emailed request for comments, it started with the bland statement something like, "we know there were service difficulties with your flight ...."
Your experience was stereotypical United; unreliable aircraft followed by crap service recovery - Flyer Friendly.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
3.5 hour delay IAD-DEN due to double MX on Friday (incoming cancelled and the plane we finally got on had trouble too) - nada.

Not even a sorry from the captain..

Not sure what United OP was flying on, but certainly not the same as me. Good on ya, OP.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I like the slot machine analogy. If there's one thing UA has always been consistent about, it's inconsistency.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UAL staff at RSW are some of the best in the system, IMO. I believe they had to take a pay cut to avoid being outsourced last year, though. I think airport agents play a role in identifying potential flights for proactive service recovery, and in this case they most likely anticipated a much more lengthy delay or even a possible cancellation.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by BearX220
I like the slot machine analogy. If there's one thing UA has always been consistent about, it's inconsistency.
No doubt they're testing the impact of offers such as this on customer service survey responses, repurchase patterns and the like. They have to do something with all this unexpected profit brought on by low oil prices, and I for one am glad to see evidence that they're being methodical about how best to spend it for maximum effect.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I would love to fly "the new united". 3/5/2015 10:55 PM fro SFO-BOS MX delay for 2.5 hours. No pro-active email or anything. Got the email for the regular post-flight survey which I filled out. Don't expect anything.

The pilot told us a light bulb in small panel needed to be replaced. Mechanics swapped it out, no dice. Pilot then told us mechanics would try to replace the small panel (from another 757); new panel doesn't fit. Mechanics then determine our variant of 757 is a "one of a kind in the fleet". We then deplaned after 1.5 hours or so and walked to another 757.

These things happen, and that's OK, but shouldn't mechanics look up the serial number of the plane then say "this is the specific part we need and we don't have that here". Then we proceed to switch planes.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
...5,000 miles or $100 Ecert for a 14 minute delay...
Ha! I got 10k miles for providing medical treatment to a pax who was unresponsive and prevented a diverted flight (everyone cheered when they learned we didn't have to spend the night in Reno ). I think inconsistency is the name of the game, recently got 7500 miles for getting a cup of juice split on me by a FA.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Didn't get anything proactively on a delayed CVG-EWR a couple of weeks ago. Left the gate 1 and a half hours late, arrived about 40 minutes late. Per the GA, our aircraft couldn't park at the gate in CVG because of the plane sitting there (which I assumed into ally was ours), was delayed - she said needed fuel but then they didn't move it for some reason. Don't get me wrong - wasn't expecting anything for that short a delay. To be honest, I felt worse for the folks on the inbound from EWR, which landed early, but had to wait at least an hour onboard for the gate to clear.

FA was great, and while not proactively offered on the plane to all or individually, she refused a chit for the drink I ordered, noting the delay.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
nothing from the last 3 delayed flights for MX.. other than a customer survey that said "sorry to see your flight was delayed..." mind if we have you fill out this survey?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Not new, email often awaiting after (eventually) landing. It is a nice touch when one doesn't hafta ask for it...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by BearX220
AN understatement! The aggravating (and fascinating) part of UA's decline is not the problems that crop up-that happens to the best run airline-but the inconsistent and often bungled reaction/solution to the problem.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
It's totally hit or miss. The only time I've received a proactive compensation email is when my flight was cancelled and travel was delayed by a full 24 hours. 17.5K miles or $350 ecert
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Originally Posted by EWR764
UAL staff at RSW are some of the best in the system, IMO. .
+1 and include PHL in that group
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Gee, I got an offer for same $100 for a FOUR hour delay, poor communication, and 3 a.m. arrival

Chose the cert, but still waiting for it to arrive.

Oh, and after 3 a.m. had to take a taxi to the tune of $50
mail in the cab receipt. I have gotten a check from UA for these on more than 1 occasion.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Update: I wrote the original post while on the flight.

The delay ended up being 6 minutes.

Additional note: We did all spend time at the gate wondering if the flight was going to go at all as they were not sure they would be able to fix the restrooms to allow departure. They had us all wait at the gate (didn't board) and didn't even board bags until they knew the plane would go.

Once they did determine the plane would go, they got that thing loaded FAST. I was around the corner enjoying my flight delay beer and almost missed boarding and had to leave half a beer behind.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Chose the cert, but still waiting for it to arrive.
I had the cert in my email instantly - check your spam / other folders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.