Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United cares more about E+ Revenue or families?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United cares more about E+ Revenue or families?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You can't really expect the computer to sort through and find which group on a single PNR is more "deserving" of a free upgrade and then give it to you.
Sure you can. This is the year 2016.

If you had written "you can't really expect United's computer..." I would agree. But this is not rocket science we are talking about. But conditional logic seems to be something United's developers have great problems with. Which explains the offers for purchasing E+ sent to me when I was booking as a 1K.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Baze
The solution has been posted many times. Don't give them what they don't deserve, move an edit up to E+ to open up 2 seats together in what they paid for. Or move 1 person up to open up 2 seats in E-. Why should they suddenly be entitled to 2 E+ seats when there are solutions that doesn't give them something they did not pay for?

And your second post holds no water based on my answer (and others answers) to how to get them 2 seats together. It can be just as safe, secure and legal to keep them in E- and give someone who may actually be entitled the E+ seat.
My second post absolutely holds water no less than your initial one doesn't.

OP complained that they initially had 3 seats together, and then due to IRROPS, were left with 3 middle seats. So far, all in agreement. Then, UA said that only option to get 15 month old next to a parent is by paying for E+.

That's where the issue comes in. UA needs to solve this without requiring OP to pay. If really the only option is putting them in E+, then UA needs to waive the fee. Sure, if there's another solution, great. And I even posted about that before. If UA can move "premiers" or "elites" to E+ to free seats up, fine. If UA can make a guarantee that seats would be available by boarding once they upgrade or move other pax, fine. But UA cannot say that the only option is to BUY E+.

Originally Posted by bse118
The only obligation UA has is to have the infant next to one parent, when the plane takes off. At departure they could reseat the OP and kid in E+, if that was all that was available (just like what regularly happens when E- is full). But there is no obligation, or even reasonable expectation, that they do so in advance of departure.
As I've written in each post, no arguments there. There's a knee-jerk need on FT to seemingly be all out against any post with kids or posts seemingly supportive.

We both agree that UA must seat 15 month old next to at least 1 parent. Great, do that. If they can get it done before departure, they've done their job. But if UA claims that the only way to get it done is by OP paying, then that's where the issue lies.

Sitting together is a safety issue. Sitting together in E+ is a preference issue. Important distinction.
Again, agreed. But if UA claims that the only solution is for OP to buy E+, then UA has a responsibility of solving the safety issue without charging OP.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 5, 2016 at 12:59 pm Reason: please use the member's name when quoting multiple parts of their post
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Then, UA said that only option to get 15 month old next to a parent is by paying for E+.

That's where the issue comes in. UA needs to solve this without requiring OP to pay. If really the only option is putting them in E+, then UA needs to waive the fee.

But UA cannot say that the only option is to BUY E+.

But if UA claims that the only way to get it done is by OP paying, then that's where the issue lies.

But if UA claims that the only solution is for OP to buy E+, then UA has a responsibility of solving the safety issue without charging OP.
No where in any of the OP's posts does it say that UA said the only way to resolve the issue was to pay for E+.

OP thought/wanted E+ was the way to resolve this, and wanted it free.

If at the gate E+ was the only way to resolve this (e.g after all silvers had moved up and the only seats left were still E+), one parent and the kid would have probably gotten it for free.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90

We both agree that UA must seat 15 month old next to at least 1 parent. Great, do that. If they can get it done before departure, they've done their job.
You've proven everyone else's point with this statement. Before departure. Not a couple days before, or a couple hours before, or even before boarding. But they need to seat the parent and child together before the plane leaves the gate. The OP was using this as a reason to get E+ early and without paying.

In fact, you can see from a later post that his solution to avoid this in the future was to buy an E+ subscription, which doesn't impact IRROPS causing this same issue again. The problem he wanted solved was getting E+ seats. There was never a concern that the plane would leave the gate with the child sitting between strangers. If this were to happen and only F seats were available, should the OP get F before boarding even begins?

There's a knee-jerk reaction by some people here to support parents without understanding the circumstances.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Baze
The solution has been posted many times. Don't give them what they don't deserve, move an elite up to E+ to open up 2 seats together in what they paid for. Or move 1 person up to open up 2 seats in E-. Why should they suddenly be entitled to 2 E+ seats when there are solutions that doesn't give them something they did not pay for?

And your second post holds no water based on my answer (and others answers) to how to get them 2 seats together. It can be just as safe, secure and legal to keep them in E- and give someone who may actually be entitled the E+ seat.
Actually the OP was trying to get not two but three seats together in E+ for free.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I side with OP.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For all of y'all suggesting that moving Silvers up to E+ without their consent is a brilliant idea, that sounds like a recipe for angering elites who are sitting with traveling companions on separate reservations.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
For all of y'all suggesting that moving Silvers up to E+ without their consent is a brilliant idea, that sounds like a recipe for angering elites who are sitting with traveling companions on separate reservations.
The way it SHOULD be handled is try on the phone, if can't get 3 together in what they paid for get them any seats then work it out at the gate.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
My rant was this, the flight was irrops not due to anything of my own doing. On some of the 4 flights there were plenty of e+ tickets in which UA system should have noticed that we had a 15 month old and seated at least 2 of us in E+ Together if nothing was available in Y. By that fact alone it is proof that United cares more about money than families. It's programming code. Someone made that decision.
Absolutely, although in this case I suspect that money is the software development and ongoing maintenance rather than the E+ revenue.

I think everyone agrees that at departure time your infant would be seated adjacent to one of your adults, for safety reasons. Prior to that, it's all about the $$.

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
On the return flights, we were given all new seats but nothing changed! We still all flew those flights. Why reassign seats we booked?
That happens all the time. Sometimes it's when the plane swapped to another type and then swapped back to the original type, sometimes there's no apparent reason for it. It's an issue with the system UA has chosen that frequent fliers on this board are well aware of.

See this 1200+ post thread immediately following the reservation system merger followed by this 200+ post thread more recently.

Originally Posted by fastair
The choice was made to split the reservation as inventory for alternate flights likely didn't have (3) seats at any one time. Likely a good move as 1 or 2 seats will be available at any one time more often than 3. But the consequences of this is you are no longer a party of (3), but (3) parties of (1). That seems to be overlooked by many of the replies on this thread. How would a system know that 3 unique and discreet reservations were really just one?
Let's not pretend this is some impossible feat of computing. Split reservations could easily be associated with their former common reservation. UA chooses not to develop and operate such a system.

If this was the case, and it looks likely that it was, then it is a bit alarming that UA's system will let a 15 month old have a unique and discreet individual reservation...
It's been asked repeatedly and never answered, was the kid on an infant ticket?

But, this is an honest question, is it is possible to book an airline ticket in the US without entering a D.O.B?

IIRC, Every ticket I've ever booked, including for some family under 16 years old, has required entering a birth date. Now I have never booked a ticket for an infant...

(and of course entering D.O.B in the booking, is not necessarily the same as UA using that info for anything)
Are you referring to the Secure Flight data? Can the Secure Flight data be used for purposes other than the Secure Flight program? What's the allowable scope? Customer service enhancements? Marketing publications?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Of course not without their consent. They will move themselves at 24 hours or it can be fixed at the gate. The OP spent 3-4 hours trying to get his family free E+ after their seats were moved. I can just imagine the conversations with agents.

"Move my family to those empty E+ seats."
"Sir, seats will open up 24 hours before the flight, or we will fix it at the airport for you."
"Move my family to those empty E+ seats."

Repeat for 3-4 hours.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
It's been asked repeatedly and never answered, was the kid on an infant ticket?

Are you referring to the Secure Flight data? Can the Secure Flight data be used for purposes other than the Secure Flight program? What's the allowable scope? Customer service enhancements? Marketing publications?
This is why I prefaced the post you are referring to with "this is an honest question" I know UA has my DOB, and those of others on the reservation, when I make a booking. I don't know what they can / cannot do with that information.

It sure would be nice if OP would clarify what type of ticket the child was on. He/she is sure acting like UA knew one of the passengers was a 15-month old. That assumption may be based on entering the D.O.B when the ticket was purchased.

Regardless, doesn't change the fact that OP had no entitlement to E+.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mduell

I was going to say the exact same thing. There is plenty of data collected for government use that I do not know that the airline can use for their own purposes. I don't know that they can't, but to assume that data collected on behalf of the g-man for purposes of the g-man can be used for commercial purposes is a bad assumption.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dickerso
The OP was perhaps slightly too upset in tone, but they have a legitimate complaint.
Unless the OP flew with the 15-year-old sitting next to neither of the parents, the OP has no complaint at all.

UA may or may not have declined to give OP the seats he wanted in advance. UA isn't obligated to give OP the seats he wants in advance.

If, at the gate, UA wouldn't seat the 15-month-old next to at least one parent, THEN OP would have a gripe.

Until then, the only problem is that OP's desires are important enough for him to complain about but not important enough for him to spend his own money on.

And that is why people are negatively reacting to OP's sense of "I have a kid" entitlement.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure what you all mean by under 2 ticket? He's 16 months old now, has his own FF number, and they certainly know his birthday. Every time we fly (both my wife and I ). The system asks if we will be flying with a lap child. Maybe that helps?

If I wanted something for free so bad why would I since buy the $900 e+ subscription that allows for 8 people on the same reservation to fly E+? That's really an entitlement mentality I'd say. This was after the fact ( I learned my lesson).

By the time we figured out on the return flights we were seated separately, the only 2 seats together we're in E+. I see no reason that united can't program free E+ seating into their system for this situation when no e seats are together. Instead they put the burden on me, their customer. I either have to call, or more likely, they hope I shell out a couple hundred bucks to sit together. I shouldn't have to do either!
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Yep. And if a restaurant runs out of hamburgers, they should give you a steak for the same price.

I just don't understand your logic. Sure, UA isn't great at this kind of stuff, but that doesn't entitle you to getting a buy-up for free, when you can just let them sort it out. It may have looked like the easiest solution to you, but it doesn't seem like giving away a buy-up is a smart business decision in this case. There were other ways to fix the problem, but you're focused only on getting E+ for free.
Their was no Y available together! How could they give it to me? What's your logic? i never cared what they gave just give me seats together! It's not my job as the customer to get on the plane and ask people to move because United's systems suck.

Bumping familes to E+ or *silvers both accomplishes the same goal, United systems do neither!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.