Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch SFO - HGH service (Hangzhou, China) {Service terminated 14 Oct 2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to launch SFO - HGH service (Hangzhou, China) {Service terminated 14 Oct 2017}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I guess that either Guangzhou (CAN) or Chongqing will be the next target for UA. These two cities have much larger populations than Hangzhou. CAN is close to HKG, but not as close as Shenzhen is.
Isn't CAN a zone 1 airport in the bilateral? If so, there r only 4 or 5 slots left for zone 1 airports.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by pbartp
Thinking about taking this flight SFO-HGH on Wednesday 10/26. Load looks empty as of now, but wondering if anybody has experience or knowledge on load factors and when most people will book for this flight. If I can get a row to myself in E+, I don't want to waste the UPG.
The flights now are very empty (this weeks flights in E+ from HGH almost no seats reserved on some flights , Monday 5 reserved out of 90 E+ seats).

Not sure how long they can keep this fight, with so few passengers.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Taipei
The flights now are very empty (this weeks flights in E+ from HGH almost no seats reserved on some flights , Monday 5 reserved out of 90 E+ seats).

Of the secondary city flights they have launched from SFO, it seems like this is the worst-performing one? Kind of makes me wonder if there is another long/thin route (like SFO-BKK) that would make more sense / money.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Of the secondary city flights they have launched from SFO, it seems like this is the worst-performing one? Kind of makes me wonder if there is another long/thin route (like SFO-BKK) that would make more sense / money.
Perhaps this flight pays its way on cargo revenues?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps this flight pays its way on cargo revenues?
As I've stated in previous threads on this topic, SFO-HGH might not be mature enough wrt supply/demand now, but if UA didn't claim it, another airline would. 5 years from now, I'm guessing we'll conclude that launching the route was a smart call on UA's part.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold

Yeah, this flight has not done so well. UA was hoping to rely on people avoiding PVG and choose HGH instead. However, that has not been the case. UA should really consider BKK & SGN as replacements for this route. Both of those destinations have high O&D demand from SFO and can be done with a 789. China's economy is also slowing down right now.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
Yeah, this flight has not done so well. UA was hoping to rely on people avoiding PVG and choose HGH instead. However, that has not been the case. UA should really consider BKK & SGN as replacements for this route. Both of those destinations have high O&D demand from SFO and can be done with a 789. China's economy is also slowing down right now.
1. this route has been operating for one month; give it a bit more time
2. BKK and SGN are not especially close to SFO
3. do you honestly believe China's economy is less stable than Thailand's?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not sure that you've understood the poster's points. He was simply noting that BKK and SGN are within the range of the aircraft, not that they were closer than HGH to SFO. This would allow, but not require, the aircraft to be switched to those routes. Also, there was no comparison made between the economy of China and other countries. The point was that the current state of China's economy does not portend a short-term solution to poor demand for this route.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, more time is needed, but we will see how long UA will wait, from now to CNY, my guess it will be like this with very low loads? The better comparision would be how Chinese Airlines are doing on USA-China 2nd tier/below cities, such as LAX-Changsha, or Xiamen-Seattle flights?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Tunapalooza
I'm not sure that you've understood the poster's points. He was simply noting that BKK and SGN are within the range of the aircraft, not that they were closer than HGH to SFO. This would allow, but not require, the aircraft to be switched to those routes. Also, there was no comparison made between the economy of China and other countries. The point was that the current state of China's economy does not portend a short-term solution to poor demand for this route.
Sure, no comparison was made, but it was implied that BKK would be a better use of UA's airplanes. I DID understand the poster's points; time will tell if HGH makes sense.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
FWIW, over in the mileage run subsection, posters are reporting sub $500 econ fares from SFO.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum

Could the light loads this week be due to the G20 summit and the travel restrictions into Hangzhou?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Could the light loads this week be due to the G20 summit and the travel restrictions into Hangzhou?
Yes. I would not judge this flight this week, no idea how the G20 impacts things. And I say that as a (see above) skeptic...

This said SFO-HGH is 6247 miles. SGN is 7837 miles, and BKK is 7932 miles. That is a HUGE difference, much different fuel burn. HGN can be done with no weight restriction (lots of cargo), SGN and BKK will require in the winter not only no cargo going west, but empty seats. And the per seat/mile fuel cost is substantially higher. I don't see UA being able to do either SGN or BKK profitably, compared to other (equal or better) options.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by spin88
Yes. I would not judge this flight this week, no idea how the G20 impacts things. And I say that as a (see above) skeptic...

This said SFO-HGH is 6247 miles. SGN is 7837 miles, and BKK is 7932 miles. That is a HUGE difference, much different fuel burn. HGN can be done with no weight restriction (lots of cargo), SGN and BKK will require in the winter not only no cargo going west, but empty seats. And the per seat/mile fuel cost is substantially higher. I don't see UA being able to do either SGN or BKK profitably, compared to other (equal or better) options.
Your skepticism is well noted; time will tell if HGH pencils, but locking HU out of the market was a smart play on UA's part.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by spin88
Yes. I would not judge this flight this week, no idea how the G20 impacts things.
I would bet that the G20 had a substantial effect on bookings this week. Our office was told to shut down for the week, and I suspect that many others were as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.