FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Another 1k benefit going away -- $60 statement credit for MP Chase Credit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1749507-another-1k-benefit-going-away-60-statement-credit-mp-chase-credit-card.html)

GSBEWR Feb 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 26253707)
They did. The Select. 3 x on UA purchases, 2 x on *A plus gas, grocery, drug and home improvement. 1 PQM for each $ spent on UA.com, up to 5000/year. Plus the ability to use points earned on the card to reimburse UA spend (even if not at the best value).

Not offered anymore, but those of us who had this before the merger have kept the same benefits if we kept the card. Would never switch to a current card, unless I really wanted a club membership. Passes are of dubious value - the only real benefit of the explorer for elites (IME) is the upgrade eligibility on award tickets. Club passes are ok as well, but not something worth switching cards for. I'm still happy with the Select.

One correction: it is restaurants, not drug stores in the double points categories.

As I have said in other threads, I have both the legacy CO PPlus and UA Select cards. I use the Select card for the four double points categories (plus the 5,000 annual miles) and the PPlus for everything else (especially handy for the double points for hotels) as well as two free bags, Priority Access and Club membership. For me, the two card combo has been very useful in getting points and UA benefits, since I will never be an elite like so many FTers.

Bruin1K Feb 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Juventini (Post 26253872)
no big deal, considering 10+ beef bowl/turkey sandwiches and 20+snack boxes I took so far this year.

Somewhere on a forum in a parallel universe there must be a "michaeltus" username!

mahasamatman Feb 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26253941)
Club card offers 2X/1.5X.

Thanks. I guess I was thinking of the old Select card, which I just recently got rid of.

demkr Feb 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Wow, this makes the Explorer Card more useless for 1Ks than ever. Is there anything you can downgrade this card to?

mahasamatman Feb 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 26254560)
Is there anything you can downgrade this card to?

There are a great many cards with no annual fee, or with an annual fee and better perks.

adambadam Feb 27, 2016 10:41 pm

I kept this card as a 1k since it has the $60 annual credit, making it marginally a wash for the UC passes and the upgrades on award tickets (although I haven't actually used that feature in years). Without it, it is next to worthless. It is already shoe-box card as the CSP earns better rates and thats to not even mention 3x on airfare is becoming more and more the norm across the board.

:td::td:

Bruin1K Feb 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 26254683)
I kept this card as a 1k since it has the $60 annual credit, making it marginally a wash for the UC passes and the upgrades on award tickets (although I haven't actually used that feature in years). Without it, it is next to worthless. It is already shoe-box card as the CSP earns better rates and thats to not even mention 3x on airfare is becoming more and more the norm across the board.

:td::td:

Xplorer gives 2x on airfare not 3x. This year only I have been upgraded 3 times in reward tickets. Twice YYC-Iah and once las-Iah.
That alone is worth it. Even one upgrade per year

SunLover Feb 28, 2016 4:01 am

The $60 statement credit was a nice little perk. I believe that UA is currently negotiating their partnership deal with Chase, and would expect some changes to their programs as a result.

SunLover

dmodemd Feb 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Citi Prestige gives 3x ThankYou Points on airline purchases with $250 statement credit per year against the $450 annual fee. Includes Priority Pass and 4th night free hotels. For a frequent flyer, it is a slam dunk. If you are also a United Club member and there is a Priority Pass club nearby (like in SEA) then its even more of a great deal to drop the United Club.

Redeeming the points on their site for flights gets further bonus.

I used the KLM Club at IAH in Terminal D which is right near Terminal E anyway. Hike or train to Terminal C. So this is a great option for IAH flyers too.

Our MP Select and Explorer cards will go bye-bye at the end of this year.

travel.flier Feb 29, 2016 6:29 am

How do you get this free food?

ryman554 Feb 29, 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 26260140)

Politely ask on the plane and provide your 1K card.

Try to ignore the stares from your fellow seatmates.

PTahCha Feb 29, 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by travel.flier (Post 26260140)

The complementary food in coach for GS and 1K members.

Old Gold Feb 29, 2016 9:52 am

The one benefit that might encourage me to keep the Explorer card in spite of the loss of the $60 credit is upgrades on reward tickets.

On a trip in January I was upgraded on 3/4 segments.

The club passes are of limited value to me as a lifetime member.

Bruin1K Feb 29, 2016 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Old Gold (Post 26261195)
The one benefit that might encourage me to keep the Explorer card in spite of the loss of the $60 credit is upgrades on reward tickets.

On a trip in January I was upgraded on 3/4 segments.

The club passes are of limited value to me as a lifetime member.

Bingo!
You can talk about Citi this and that till you turn blue but this one perk alone is worth keeping the card!

drewguy Feb 29, 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Bruin1K (Post 26261269)
Bingo!
You can talk about Citi this and that till you turn blue but this one perk alone is worth keeping the card!

Interesting . . . I figured that benefit was nearly worthless, given the low priority you get (and that most 1Ks use miles for Biz/First tickets).

Anyway, I think the 3 benefits for elites are:

- club passes
- PQD waiver
- upgrade on award tickets

PQD waiver is irrelevant for 1K, which is why I assumed that at least in part they provided $60 credit . . .