Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 6183 Emergency Landing [Feb 24, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
UA 6183 Emergency Landing [Feb 24, 2016]

UA6183 operated by Mesa. Tail N88327. Appears to be a loss of cabin pressure at 30,000 feet. Appears they were re-accommodated on Tail N86311 to continue down to SAT. Originated at IAD.

Video with information: http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...47cd21e473180a

Quite a rapid descent it appears: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/ai...88327/#8e9f800
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver, SPG Platinum 75, National Executive
I was on this flight. About an hour before our scheduled landing in SAT, pressure in the cabin changed dramatically and you could feel the physical effects. Then very quickly, the oxygen masks dropped, lights on the exterior of the plane began to flash red and the flight attendants quickly mobilized to the front of the aircraft. The descent was very sudden but after about 5 minutes we were told we could remove our masks and we were to be diverted to DFW. Upon arrival at the gate, the Fire Department and EMS were onboard. One lap infant was asked to be looked at. After we disembarked, we were told that our flight crew did not wish to reboard another plane and carry onto SAT so a different crew was going to be asked to continue the flight to SAT. I am not sure if that happened as I left the airport and decided to stay the night in Dallas.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
happened to me once on a SAS 737 last year. Not a pleasant experience, glad everyone was OK.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Happened to me on a UA ERJ-145 DEN to HSV in March 2012. After take off my ears kept popping. About an hour out of DEN the pilot to told the FA to sit down. He went into a fairly steep dive. The mask never deployed. After he leveled off at a low altitude. He came on to tell us we had a cabin pressure issue and would have to land, in Wichita. Luckily there was another ERJ-145 at ICT that we continued on home.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Wow scary story for those of use who fly RJ's most of the time, glad no-one had any serious medical issues, nice piloting!!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by kcspinney
I was on this flight. About an hour before our scheduled landing in SAT, pressure in the cabin changed dramatically and you could feel the physical effects. Then very quickly, the oxygen masks dropped, lights on the exterior of the plane began to flash red and the flight attendants quickly mobilized to the front of the aircraft. The descent was very sudden but after about 5 minutes we were told we could remove our masks and we were to be diverted to DFW. Upon arrival at the gate, the Fire Department and EMS were onboard. One lap infant was asked to be looked at. After we disembarked, we were told that our flight crew did not wish to reboard another plane and carry onto SAT so a different crew was going to be asked to continue the flight to SAT. I am not sure if that happened as I left the airport and decided to stay the night in Dallas.
I was on this flight too - 4D in first class. Pretty much everything was as you described. I noticed significant sudden pressurization difference in my ears ... didn't think much about it because I was working on my laptop ... then the masks dropped and I realized we were still at 30k. Scary.

Got to SAT eventually by having them re-ticket me onto an AA flight.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
6 minutes in total to dive 24,000 ft - descent rate maxed out a little over 7000 fpm.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N.../KDFW/tracklog
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
6 minutes in total to dive 24,000 ft - descent rate maxed out a little over 7000 fpm.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N.../KDFW/tracklog
That seems about right. The local NBC affiliate in Dallas reported it as descending 20,000 feet in "moments" but if I'd had to guess the time, it felt like about 7-9 minutes from when the air masks dropped until we clearly leveled off at 10k.

Thanks for finding the link on that!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by kcspinney
lights on the exterior of the plane began to flash red
I don't understand this nugget. There are lights outside the plane that go red when cabin pressure is lost?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder
Wow scary story for those of use who fly RJ's most of the time, glad no-one had any serious medical issues, nice piloting!!
Not sure if I follow? Cabin pressure lost happens on wide body planes just as well.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I don't understand this nugget. There are lights outside the plane that go red when cabin pressure is lost?
I'm thinking its external emergency lighting.

I found a tidbit of it here:
http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part25-812-FAR.shtml
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I was confused by this as well. I was on the flight, I don't remember red lights. But I was up in the first class cabin, well forward of the wings ... so passengers in coach may have been more likely to see it if it happened.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
There's no external red lights that turn on in an emergency...

The only red lights on the outside of the plane are the beacon and the left wing position light. Those are always on in flight.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:30 am

So does anyone in here know how I may be able to eventually find out what went wrong with the plane? Given the sudden rush in of cold air that the woman in the seat next to me reported ... I am wondering if this ended up being structural, not just a failure of the systems that maintain internal air pressure.

Folks here seem to know a lot more about looking into this stuff than I do (the links above are great) - just wondering if there's somewhere I will eventually be able to learn what happened to me.

I found FAA and NTSB incident pages, but neither seem to have info as of yet - not sure if this would be the best source and I just need to wait until things are filed, or if there are other sources I should look at.

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?p=100:93:0::NO::: (nothing yet as of 27-Feb)
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...th=2&year=2016 (nothing yet as of 27-Feb)
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toomer
So does anyone in here know how I may be able to eventually find out what went wrong with the plane? Given the sudden rush in of cold air that the woman in the seat next to me reported ... I am wondering if this ended up being structural, not just a failure of the systems that maintain internal air pressure.
Almost certainly pressurization rather than structural. Passenger reports about pretty much anything are notoriously inaccurate and imprecise. For example, in a depressurization there's no rush in of air like "the woman" reported.

Originally Posted by toomer
Folks here seem to know a lot more about looking into this stuff than I do (the links above are great) - just wondering if there's somewhere I will eventually be able to learn what happened to me.
NTSB will probably provide an update in about a month with a number of details, and their complete report in about a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.