Wiki Posts
Search

Trying a new route ORD-BKK? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Trying a new route ORD-BKK? Opinions?

Checking flight availability in April for ORD-BKK. I would usually fly via NRT or HKG, but I am seeing a cheaper business class alternative (not seen before by me) by way of EWR and then to India (Mumbai/Dehli) and reverse. The long-haul is on a 777 with only business/first and economy (no first class) and there is plenty of seating available. The shorter hop is on a TG flight. The price difference is, to me, a substantial amount.

Is this a new route for United? Is there any reason to avoid transiting India? For example, does one have to retrieve and recheck bags to connect to the TG flight?

Give me your opinions for and against such a booking option, please.

And thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by sim510
Checking flight availability in April for ORD-BKK. I would usually fly via NRT or HKG, but I am seeing a cheaper business class alternative (not seen before by me) by way of EWR and then to India (Mumbai/Dehli) and reverse. The long-haul is on a 777 with only business/first and economy (no first class) and there is plenty of seating available. The shorter hop is on a TG flight. The price difference is, to me, a substantial amount.

Is this a new route for United? Is there any reason to avoid transiting India? For example, does one have to retrieve and recheck bags to connect to the TG flight?

Give me your opinions for and against such a booking option, please.

And thanks!
The EWR-BOM and EWR-DEL flights are pre-merger CO routes. They have been flown for quite some time.

I'm not a huge fan of the airport experience in India (although unlike most people I really enjoy visiting India), but for a significant savings would be willing to do it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is there any reason to avoid transiting India? For example, does one have to retrieve and recheck bags to connect to the TG flight?
It's my understanding that you can do an international to international transfer in both BOM and DEL. Your bags must be checked through, though, as you can't get to baggage claim without passing immigration (which requires a visa for most passports, as far as I know).

I think DEL has an airside international transfer hotel, which is probably a more pleasant place to spend time than the transfer zone of the terminal if you misconnect. I don't know if BOM has something similar. As long as you have sufficient time to connect, you'll be perfectly fine, as either airport has a relatively new and nice international terminal. You should really, really try to have a paper boarding pass for TG before you leave the US; my experience in India indicates that you need this, if only so several security people in a row can inspect, stamp, and reinspect it (over and over).

Enjoy the trip!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Can you give us some more inofrmation ? Price difference, timing, routing possibilities, etc.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston
The EWR-BOM and EWR-DEL flights are pre-merger CO routes. They have been flown for quite some time.

I'm not a huge fan of the airport experience in India (although unlike most people I really enjoy visiting India), but for a significant savings would be willing to do it.
BOM is an ultra modern airport that could easily pass for LHR if you just woke up from a long flight!

As long as your transit in BOM does not involve that God-awful bus transfer between the new ultra modern international airport and the older one (the so-called Mumbai Shuffle!) then you're OK.

AFAIK, the older airport services domestic flights & some flights to Africa, so may be flights to BKK will leave from the new terminal, where the lounge is really fantastic!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Now I'm curious about the new and old airport terminals.... could be a bit uncomfortable for a senior solo female traveler. I need to find out if UA and TG both have gates in the new one. Will try google. I have never been to/thru India, and it really isn't on my bucket list although I have friends who have enjoyed their visit(s).

Price diff is about $1200, or $600 each way. ($2700 one way via NRT $2100 if I transit thru India).

Your replies are appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Transiting the sEWeR and India? No way!

If you're looking for a new route, try ICN.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What's the total travel time ORD-NRT/HKG-BKK vs ORD-EWR-BOM-BKK?
$1200 is decent $ and will go far in Thailand.

You can use UA and TG site flight status pages to see what the arriving/departing gates are. BOM may even have their own website with that kind of info as well.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Transiting the sEWeR and India? No way!

If you're looking for a new route, try ICN.
I think the impetus is to save $1200 vs just flying a new route for the "fun" of it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA and TG are in the same terminal in both BOM and DEL. No airline other than some domestic Indian airlines operates from a terminal other than the main international terminal in these two cities. For reference, that's BOM T2 and DEL T3.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by aindfan
UA and TG are in the same terminal in both BOM and DEL. No airline other than some domestic Indian airlines operates from a terminal other than the main international terminal in these two cities. For reference, that's BOM T2 and DEL T3.
When I was last in BOM (2014), there were flights to Kenya and Uganda from the old terminal, and those domestic flights of course!

That bus ride and the multiple baggage scans and metal detector passages was really awful!

Airport security in India is weird pure & simple! Where else in the world do you have to go through a metal detector when you GET OFF the plane and enter the terminal to go to passport control?

Last edited by sapguy; Feb 15, 2016 at 8:20 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Impossible to compare routings if OP doesn't give us the flight times. The issues on the TPACs are (i) whether you have to overnight in either direction, (ii) how late you arrive BKK, and (iii) how early you have to depart BKK.

Not to mention how to avoid Y on that final segment into BKK (or keep it short enough that it doesn't really matter, i.e., TPE or HKG).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Impossible to compare routings if OP doesn't give us the flight times. The issues on the TPACs are (i) whether you have to overnight in either direction, (ii) how late you arrive BKK, and (iii) how early you have to depart BKK.

Not to mention how to avoid Y on that final segment into BKK (or keep it short enough that it doesn't really matter, i.e., TPE or HKG).
OP is buying a business class ticket, so the economy avoidance is...um...avoided.

I have seen this route pop up a couple of times on award searches. I don't recall the specifics on timings, but I don't recall it being too bad as I was actually considering that route at one point.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:27 am
Original Poster

The total travel time is 24.5 hours, arriving Bangkok in the early morning. Time in DEL is 2 hours. Hoping that is enough time. I was unsure if I would have to collect and recheck bags, but that evidently isn't necessary.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Would you fly by way of DEL/MUM to save $1200 on a business class ticket to BKK? Just wondering if airports in India are too iffy to consider it!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:31 am

BOM and DEL

International terminals are totally fine and brand new - easy to connect in. You'll be transiting within the international terminal - nothing iffy about them. They're nice and modern, no worries. Worth the $1200 in savings. Enjoy.

The total travel time is 24.5 hours, arriving Bangkok in the early morning. Time in DEL is 2 hours. Hoping that is enough time. I was unsure if I would have to collect and recheck bags, but that evidently isn't necessary.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Would you fly by way of DEL/MUM to save $1200 on a business class ticket to BKK? Just wondering if airports in India are too iffy to consider it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.