Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
My question was about why fares with a Sunday departure (monday evening arrival) and early AM Friday return have gone from $3500 to >$10K on all major *A carriers (excluding Air India). I've booked Sunday->Friday trips several times in the past 5 years and have always gotten fares <$6K
As I see it, that question has been pretty thoroughly answered. First, as several have pointed out, the basic premise (fare has gone to ">$10k on all major *A carriers) is not correct. Second, you're trying to book without a Saturday night stay, which UA's deep discount fare requires (and flying on a day of the week which does not qualify, either). Third, there may be limited inventory on your very specific dates. Finally, because fares are dynamic, and may change (i.e., get more expensive) based on projected supply, demand, and pricing power, as determined by UA's models.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
C'mon guys, I've done nearly 200K miles a year for 20 years. I'm no novice.
By the same token, should you also not know that prices are elastic?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
There are plenty of cheap *A options from BOS right now ... not sure what the heck the OP is talking about. I am seeing 11/17-11/22 from BOS on TK/LX for $3.9k ... So what are we going to hear? I need specific flights/dates?

May I ask what you’re using for the search in the screenshot?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looking at LAX-HKG fares for shoulder holiday season travel, namely mid-December (12/10 - 12/15 or so) out and early January (week after New Years Day) back. For some reason the return flights on 1/7 and before are being forced into R (premium economy) due to the lowest available coach bucket being B, leading to the RT price being $2,100-$2,300 (compared to $1,400 for a W RT). Is this inventory/pricing normal for that time of year?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
Looking at LAX-HKG fares for shoulder holiday season travel, namely mid-December (12/10 - 12/15 or so) out and early January (week after New Years Day) back. For some reason the return flights on 1/7 and before are being forced into R (premium economy) due to the lowest available coach bucket being B, leading to the RT price being $2,100-$2,300 (compared to $1,400 for a W RT). Is this inventory/pricing normal for that time of year?
This is an interesting one. That week after New Year's, which used to be an easy upgrade back from Asia, has now become a relatively difficult ticket. As you note, UA is playing it particularly tight with the Y inventory on UA862/878 that week. As I'm sure you saw, they will route you via NRT for considerably less. Other carriers are also offering considerably more rational inventory/pricing. I might consider one of them (and wouldn't really want to fly UA in the back on that route anyway). And of course an SFO connection can be pretty dicey that time of year, particularly the outbound.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is an interesting one. That week after New Year's, which used to be an easy upgrade back from Asia, has now become a relatively difficult ticket. As you note, UA is playing it particularly tight with the Y inventory on UA862/878 that week. As I'm sure you saw, they will route you via NRT for considerably less. Other carriers are also offering considerably more rational inventory/pricing. I might consider one of them (and wouldn't really want to fly UA in the back on that route anyway). And of course an SFO connection can be pretty dicey that time of year, particularly the outbound.
I'm trying to use GPUs so gotta stick with UA!

I have a feeling it could be due to the new SFO flight gumming up RM. When the flight was first loaded, there was PZ9 I9 W9 (as reported elsewhere). The PZ and I quickly disappeared, but the W remained. Then the PZ came back (albeit on far fewer dates), but the W has since disappeared on those dates with PZ. FWIW ORD and EWR are PZ9 W9 across the board the week starting 1/6.

I also noticed some of this funny business happening with AA last year (my carrier of choice up until this year). US-HKG RT had a forced segment in PE on the way back.

Last edited by dkc192; Jul 9, 2019 at 11:37 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:29 pm

Rt ord-den 7/16, den-ord 7/17 $828

While I know close-in fares are more expensive, what’s UA’s rev strat here? There are 11 UA flights on the outbound incl. two WB. Every single flight has like J2 Y9 so we’re talking an entire narrowbody of cumulative excess capacity just in UA. Is it just to get $800+ now and then drastically lower fares overnight? I can’t fathom that 100 pax will pay $800+. I usually don’t book this close in so kind of unfamiliar with the brinkmanship. AA is same. ULC are $300 cheaper but still...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Is it just to get $800+ now and then drastically lower fares overnight?
No, they won't lower the fares overnight. They will keep them high, and they will use the excess capacity to move people around the network due to IRROPS or what-have-you.

It's fare discipline. They'd rather sell one ticket at $800 than three at $300, because, in the long term, the $800 tickets will be more profitable.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, they won't lower the fares overnight. They will keep them high, and they will use the excess capacity to move people around the network due to IRROPS or what-have-you.

It's fare discipline. They'd rather sell one ticket at $800 than three at $300, because, in the long term, the $800 tickets will be more profitable.
I often see numerous different lowest UA fares across the same day. In this instance, all 11 ORD-DEN fights are the same, high fare. Does UA only differentiate up to a certain threshold, eg 85% capacity, for the day, and then everything goes high regardless of which particular flight?

EWR-SFO: 2 different lowest fares
EWR-LAX: 3 different lowest fares

EWR-SFO/LAX overall similar lowest price vs ORD-DEN. So UA is the price setter for ORD-DEN but stiffer competition EWR-SFO/LAX?

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Jul 15, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I often see numerous different lowest UA fares across the same day. In this instance, all 11 ORD-DEN fights are the same, high fare. Does UA only differentiate up to a certain threshold, eg 85% capacity, for the day, and then everything goes high regardless of which particular flight?
The lowest available fare on a given flight is a combination of the available fares and the available inventory. When you're booking 3-4 weeks in advance, you likely have a number of applicable fares, and revenue management will have set the inventory on each flight based upon projected sales, which often means that some flights will have space in low inventory buckets (e.g., G and K) whereas other flights might be open only down to a medium bucket like W. Thus: different prices.

You're seeing an effect of lots of excess capacity (so, the fare buckets are all open) but only a small number of fares published. In fact, UA doesn't publish anything lower than a U fare for one-day advance purchase in the ORD-DEN market. U is a fairly high fare, hence the $800 RT cost. Since the flights are all wide open inventory-wise, you can get that same U fare on any of them. The fares won't go down (unless they happen to publish a new ORD-DEN fare this afternoon, which they probably won't), but they might go up (if any of the flights fill).

Again, this is intentional; they do not want to offer low-cost seats for these flights, even if it means that the seats fly empty. That's because they don't want businesses to be able to wait for a lower fare. They know that most leisure travelers book further in advance, but business travelers don't always have that option, and they set up the fares accordingly.

Note that you can get the fare down to $514 if you return Thursday, as there's a 3-day advance purchase fare that books the return into the K bucket.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

The numbers tend to be even more skewed than that. Often it's more like there are four people in Chicago who suddenly discovered they need to be in DEN this week. For three of them, the need is great enough that they will buy any ticket under say $4,000 round-trip (this is a typical business traveler). The fourth might find some reason to skive off the trip if it's too expensive. The price is only down where it is because of competition, and some semblance of "fairness" (insofar as it affects their customer image).

The moral of the story is that anyone buying last-minute tends to be extremely insensitive to price. They might attract some spur-of-the-moment DEN trips by offer $39 seats that would fly empty, but it won't be that many people and it will cannibalize the otherwise $800 fares.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:59 pm

The lowest available fare on a given flight is a combination of the available fares and the available inventory. When you're booking 3-4 weeks in advance, you likely have a number of applicable fares, and revenue management will have set the inventory on each flight based upon projected sales, which often means that some flights will have space in low inventory buckets (e.g., G and K) whereas other flights might be open only down to a medium bucket like W. Thus: different prices.

You're seeing an effect of lots of excess capacity (so, the fare buckets are all open) but only a small number of fares published. In fact, UA doesn't publish anything lower than a U fare for one-day advance purchase in the ORD-DEN market. U is a fairly high fare, hence the $800 RT cost. Since the flights are all wide open inventory-wise, you can get that same U fare on any of them. The fares won't go down (unless they happen to publish a new ORD-DEN fare this afternoon, which they probably won't), but they might go up (if any of the flights fill).

Again, this is intentional; they do not want to offer low-cost seats for these flights, even if it means that the seats fly empty. That's because they don't want businesses to be able to wait for a lower fare. They know that most leisure travelers book further in advance, but business travelers don't always have that option, and they set up the fares accordingly.

Note that you can get the fare down to $514 if you return Thursday, as there's a 3-day advance purchase fare that books the return into the K bucket.
jsoan - so what’s the point of the fare buckets? Whether U, V, W, S, T, L or K (the 11:15 is K2), $827 it is for whatever letter from this whole string of the alphabet soup. So if 2 tix sell from the 11:15, then the L fare will go up? Or UA just wants $827 regardless?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
jsoan - so what’s the point of the fare buckets? Whether U, V, W, S, T, L or K (the 11:15 is K2), $827 it is for whatever letter from this whole string of the alphabet soup. So if 2 tix sell from the 11:15, then the L fare will go up? Or UA just wants $827 regardless?
Inventory is only one of two inputs to the price of a ticket. The published fares are the other, and the $827 price (a U fare) is the lowest published fare with no advance purchase requirement. UA has decided they don't want to sell a cheaper ticket, regardless of how empty the flight is.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Inventory is only one of two inputs to the price of a ticket. The published fares are the other, and the $827 price (a U fare) is the lowest published fare with no advance purchase requirement. UA has decided they don't want to sell a cheaper ticket, regardless of how empty the flight is.
Precisely. That doesn't mean that the other buckets are useless: someone who already has a K ticket may be able to change it (think SDC), or it might be used as part of a connecting flight. Even though UA won't sell a K fare on ORD-DEN, they might sell one on ORD-DEN-LAS.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: UA GS
I’m looking to go EWR-MUC for a weekend next winter and I’m finding the business class fares rather shocking. For pretty much any date I check from January going out for months, fares range from $8800-$10500. Sane happens when searching for ORD.

Even stranger, the dates I actually want show P class availability but it will only price out as D.

For comparison, EWR-FRA for the same dates is only $2800.

Any ideas what’s going on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.