Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
it's strange to see a code share at such a discount to their own fare. And of course the choice of a LH 748 vs a UA 764 is a no-brainer in J.
Not really a discount, but P vs. Z inventory. That P fare is well priced, and available on UA metal as well.

LH 748 not a clear win over UA 763 (though it would be my preference).
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Trying to get to NYC from FLL/MIA on April 28th. Fares are roughly $900(!) for the one-way. More interestingly, a good portion of the Y fares are either sold out or blocked this far in advance. Any idea what's going on?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting and useful - I happy to save $$$$ by flying UA codeshare on LH. Do UA codeshares earn UA miles (based on fare) or UA RDM based on distance (like LH flights)? Presumably EQM would be the same.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Good to know. Still, it's strange to see a code share at such a discount to their own fare. And of course the choice of a LH 748 vs a UA 764 is a no-brainer in J.
I think many would disagree. The 767-4 config is not as bad as the 2-4-2 on other planes, and I can't say I am overwhelmed by LH 748. The food on UA had until recently improved, which is not the case with LH. Personally I prefer the faster service on UA as opposed to the glacial 3-hour meals on LH, and won't miss the smelly cheeses. To me it's a no brainer to go with the lowest price, unless there are EQM or RDM issues in play.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 22, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Interesting and useful - I happy to save $$$$ by flying UA codeshare on LH. Do UA codeshares earn UA miles (based on fare) or UA RDM based on distance (like LH flights)? Presumably EQM would be the same.
Codeshare is irrelevant.

If it's booked on a 016 ticket, you'll get earnings based on fare. If it's booked on a non-016 ticket, you'll get earnings based on distance if the flight is operated by LH.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Trying to get to NYC from FLL/MIA on April 28th. Fares are roughly $900(!) for the one-way. More interestingly, a good portion of the Y fares are either sold out or blocked this far in advance. Any idea what's going on?
Demand looks legitimate; seatmaps show almost solid assigned. I don't know what going on in Florida then, but you are indeed seeing several flight that are booked full in Y.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Demand looks legitimate; seatmaps show almost solid assigned. I don't know what going on in Florida then, but you are indeed seeing several flight that are booked full in Y.
April to a Florida beach destination? Spring Break, baby.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I know you are 1K but as others noted it is Spring Break, I would try another carrier at those prices. Indeed crazy!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
April to a Florida beach destination? Spring Break, baby.
End of April a bit late for traditional Spring Break, but Easter is quite late this year, April 21. So returning after post-Easter week from Florida will drive a lot of activity the next weekend, 27-28 April .
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....... not as bad as the 2-4-2 on other planes, and I can't say I am overwhelmed by LH 748. The food on UA had until recently improved, which is not the case with LH.
Actually, I'd consider the 748 upstairs a no-brainer vs. any UA sCO business seat.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I know a lot of people love the 747 upper deck (and will miss as these birds get retired) but it’s a nonstarter for me because the bins (at least on UA) aren’t big enough to hold even my carryon and also don’t like having to stow my rollsboard in the closet. On some carriers there is also no direct aisle access from every seat
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
The first option in your screenshot is $495, not $900
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I know a lot of people love the 747 upper deck (and will miss as these birds get retired) but it’s a nonstarter for me because the bins (at least on UA) aren’t big enough to hold even my carryon and also don’t like having to stow my rollsboard in the closet. On some carriers there is also no direct aisle access from every seat
I've always been able to fit my carryon upstairs on LH (both 744 and 748).
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Thanks. About what I expected. Looks like I'll be needing to buy a BOS-LAX soon, so let's see if anything has changed by the time I pull the trigger.
It changed today. Now only full J allows nonstop routing LAX-BOS. What a joke.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Polaris fares ex-HKG

Hi there

I’m new to MileagePlus and am based in Hong Kong.

Currently i’m planning upcoming trips to US/Canada. Through the United app and websites, the fares are pretty steep compared to those on AC/CX online channels.

Am I missing something here?

Appreciate your valuable insights
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Plenty of corporations and individuals who pay for Polaris/business class ... fewer discounts ...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2019 at 9:33 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.