Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joachimm
Is purchasing two separate round-trips against United rules? Will I have to exit the terminal, pick up bags and check back in, or can I get United to "through-check" their own passenger's bags? I did google it and it sounds like they will interline their own and star alliance tickets, but not non-*A partners.
It's not against the rules. They will through-check bags, provided neither ticket is basic economy; there's a recent report that they will no longer do so for basic economy tickets. Get to the airport a little early, because through-checking a bag to another UA flight can be somewhat complicated, particularly if that second flight is full.

The downside is that if your first flight is delayed, and you miss your second flight, UA does not necessarily have an obligation to get you to your final destination In practice, they have a good reputation for doing so when both tickets are for UA flights, but understand that you're relying on their goodwill in this case.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by QS Dreamer
I'm searching for IAD-LHR flights in May (about 4 months out) and all I see are D fares. How far in advance do they release other fares classes? I've tried searching for specific fare classes and it still returns only D despite showing Z,P inventory.
I see plenty of P fares, choosing some random dates in May. Do you have a Saturday night stay?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:43 pm

For one trip I have a Saturday stay and those fares have more fare options - that's a 6 day trip. The other trip, I've looked with and without a Saturday stay (a 4 day trip) and that's only showing D for me.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by QS Dreamer
For one trip I have a Saturday stay and those fares have more fare options - that's a 6 day trip. The other trip, I've looked with and without a Saturday stay (a 4 day trip) and that's only showing D for me.
The lowest fare which does not have a Saturday night requirement is DNA40ERC, a $7,629.00 round trip plus YQ. That is not likely to change between now and May.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA did this for SFO-EWR for a period last year . . . nothing below a $3600 C fare was published for about a week.
Still true for LAX-BOS. Guess I will keep booking B6. Not sure what they are thinking.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by tromer
Still true for LAX-BOS. Guess I will keep booking B6. Not sure what they are thinking.
Of potential interest, one can book an economy fare and get a somewhat reasonable upgrade offer -- on par with the mint. Of course, these do not count for PQD, but I was not aware an upgrade was possible without an underlying fare.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Of potential interest, one can book an economy fare and get a somewhat reasonable upgrade offer -- on par with the mint. Of course, these do not count for PQD, but I was not aware an upgrade was possible without an underlying fare.
Still true, and we're at almost a full month of these insane $1,900 C fares! Just curious, what upgrade offers have you gotten, and on what dates/original fare classes?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Still true, and we're at almost a full month of these insane $1,900 C fares! Just curious, what upgrade offers have you gotten, and on what dates/original fare classes?
S-FLX, all spring, ~$300 if P is available, ~$500 if Z is available.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
S-FLX, all spring, ~$300 if P is available, ~$500 if Z is available.
Thanks. About what I expected. Looks like I'll be needing to buy a BOS-LAX soon, so let's see if anything has changed by the time I pull the trigger.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
PHX - DUB seems to always force a B fare for me when I search. I can find ~$1,100 RT W or ~$550 RT K from ORD, EWR, or IAD on redeye flights that I absolutely could make the connection on a morning flight from PHX but if the origin is PHX the base fare is generally ~3K + for Y.

If I were to book PHX to ORD with 4+ hours until ORD - DUB on a separate ticket, and PHX to ORD was delayed or canceled, would I be protected as if it was a connection (assuming all UA metal). Also 1K if that makes a difference (although it probably shouldn't here).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scracer14
If I were to book PHX to ORD with 4+ hours until ORD - DUB on a separate ticket, and PHX to ORD was delayed or canceled, would I be protected as if it was a connection (assuming all UA metal). Also 1K if that makes a difference (although it probably shouldn't here).
Not officially, no. UA is generally willing to work with people in this situation (assuming all UA metal, as you state). 1K status probably does help. That said, there are no guarantees; if someone refuses to help you, your only recourse is to look for someone else. Officially, you will have no-shown the second ticket.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Thanks. About what I expected. Looks like I'll be needing to buy a BOS-LAX soon, so let's see if anything has changed by the time I pull the trigger.
I should note I haven't bought any of these, so haven't seen them post, but the T&C are clear, and buying up with an agent is the full differential to $1900. These buyups are a decent price, but I refuse to play the game where I give United more money without getting status credit for it.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
J fares on flights through FRA continue to be sky-high vs LH. Here's a Monday-Friday trip in March. The UA flight shows available fare classes: J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z4 ZN4 P0 PN0 PZ0, $6761 for a Z fare vs a $2831 LH code share showing J4 C4 D4 Z4 P4. In other words, UA only half-booked more than 2x LH with only 4 seats.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
In other words, UA only half-booked more than 2x LH with only 4 seats.
The LH codeshare only has 4 seats because that's all LH ever releases for UA codeshares at one time. There's no way to know how many seats are actually available.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
The LH codeshare only has 4 seats because that's all LH ever releases for UA codeshares at one time. There's no way to know how many seats are actually available.
Good to know. Still, it's strange to see a code share at such a discount to their own fare. And of course the choice of a LH 748 vs a UA 764 is a no-brainer in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.