Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Yep. I can't figure out why. It drives me crazy as I fly home 4-5x per year and it's always high.
Because UA has a lock on IAH.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
Because UA has a lock on IAH.
AA's fares are high also. I was flying this flight every weekend myself for a couple of months late last year, and even advance were high.

Now, I presume because Frontier is back, there are some cheap options with a connection, but they are 8-9 hour days with 3+ hours in Chicago or Dulles.

I put some family on flights from BWI and EWR to IAH in First for less than the PHL flights (thanks AMTRAK) in coach. I get the business aspect to certain airline pricing mechanisms and all, I just find PHL IAH curious. There is a fairly large medical connection between the two cities, but nothing else it would seem to drive up fares. But in the end I am paying so UA and AA wins LOL
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Surprising prices from Hawaii

Circumstances mean I've had to book 1-way tickets DEN-KOA. I got to Hawaii at the end of March for $500; returning the week of April 9, prices are $1200+ for 1 stop and 2 stops are required to get under $500. I do this a lot and don't recall seeing such a big swing in 1-way prices before. Am I missing something obvious?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hans
Circumstances mean I've had to book 1-way tickets DEN-KOA. I got to Hawaii at the end of March for $500; returning the week of April 9, prices are $1200+ for 1 stop and 2 stops are required to get under $500. I do this a lot and don't recall seeing such a big swing in 1-way prices before. Am I missing something obvious?
Yes, you are:

Demand > Supply @:-)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
That's the week of Easter break so guessing it's high season pricing.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:56 pm

I understand supply and demand and various breaks but other airlines are all $500-600. Only United is $1200 for that time period.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Maybe book the 2 stop and SDC to a better connection?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Google flights shows options for 1 stop under $500 on April 11 although they are very long layovers.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
United has a different opinion of the market.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:31 pm

Nonstop versus connection during what appears to be a period that UA has already sold the "cheap" seats and/or thinks they can fill the plane with higher fares.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hans
other airlines are all $500-600. Only United is $1200 for that time period.
UA is likely sold out in the lower fare classes. Or it's a pricing error.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Certain origin spots and destination spots are priced very high right now for spring break. They often coordinate with the week schools and universities are on break. For instance, I am on a 1-way ticket this weekend from GRR-DEN on Saturday... $650.... because next week is spring break for many in MI. Everyone is getting out on Saturday. @transportprof - you are correct. Demand >> supply. High prices, and only a few seats left out of GRR this weekend. UA is making a killing, and could probably charge more if they chose and still fill up. The only cheaper option for me was in the $450 range to fly WN through BWI or MDW with long connections. No thanks.

Don't think there is a pricing error. Those usually are corrected. I have seen high fares for this weekend out of GRR for the last month... no change (only higher as they fill up the M buckets and charge for B and Y outright). Every single GRR-ORD is F0 Y0.... only 1 seat via IAD, none via EWR, 2 via IAH, and maybe 6 via DEN on the morning flight.... everything else, 0. I'm scared to see how much it will cost me to travel here next year during this time based on their success in filling up seats at current fare prices.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 1:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Don't think there is a pricing error. Those usually are corrected.
Yes, they are usually fixed eventually. But that doesn't mean OP didn't see one before it was fixed. I was just identifying the two most likely explanations, given that other carriers are charging much lower fares.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:52 pm

That's what it is....looks like all Economy seats are sold on multiple flights with zero or one connection. A seat maps shows perhaps 1/3 of the seats available; they must be selling all those at Enhanced.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
I'm looking at booking a trip to Tokyo (either NRT or HND) for the week before Thanksgiving returning the Monday before Thanksgiving, Only H and above is available for $2,000+? First I thought that this is because of Thanksgiving, but looking on Google Flights, the prices are the same for the entire months of September, October, November, December. Is this normal? Or is it too early? I won't be able to book until July 1 anyway for reimbursement purposes, but I am wondering if this will stay or go down.

Last edited by gusd; Mar 30, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.