Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bioyuki
I'm looking at SFO-NRT/HND over the summer, and UA is showing a P fare of $11k+. Wild.
2 week min-stay, mid-week departure fares are a bit less.

Fly via YVR instead of direct?
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
nomad420
What planet? Domestic USA.... I have been doing a lot of MSY/DEN/LAS/Hawaii segments and due to the competition in these markets, some of these flights are less than $100.....cost me more to uber to the airports.... I just got a MSY-DEN one-way at the end of the month... 99$ I had a OGG-SFO, last minute flight that was less than 200 one way.....

-m
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
I have two UA international trips coming up so far this year-- EWR-TLV and EWR-JNB. Have found business seats not only a bit higher this year but more troubling has been availability in lower-priced fare buckets. Booked one of the first seats on a JNB flight in Nov and nothing available lower than a D class. So a ticket in D costs about $2500 more than the Z class last year. I suppose the upside of this is that with other travel this year, I'll requalify for Platinum and start approaching 1K. Now as far as TLV-- again nothing lower than D class.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
April 3rd, I've yet to find a one way out of anywhere in Europe to anywhere in the US for under 1,000 In ECONOMY.... I mean shoot I can fly TAP business to miami for cheaper than I can fly UA economy.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
April 3rd, I've yet to find a one way out of anywhere in Europe to anywhere in the US for under 1,000 In ECONOMY.... I mean shoot I can fly TAP business to miami for cheaper than I can fly UA economy.
There are cheaper fares, but they have a roundtrip booking requirement. Differences tended to be more moderate during Covid.

Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
As of yesterday, far-out advance-purchase fully refundable RT business/first tickets on EWR-LAX/SFO are substantially more expensive for many dates than EWR-LHR...
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
best example I have found recently of travel I need to book is SFO-Brazil in June for 19-20K. I'm sure it will come down but Delta is 6K for same dates
Old Feb 9, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mfirst
nomad420
What planet? Domestic USA.... I have been doing a lot of MSY/DEN/LAS/Hawaii segments and due to the competition in these markets, some of these flights are less than $100.....cost me more to uber to the airports.... I just got a MSY-DEN one-way at the end of the month... 99$ I had a OGG-SFO, last minute flight that was less than 200 one way.....

-m
Amazing what a difference some competition makes.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by xliioper
There are cheaper fares, but they have a roundtrip booking requirement. Differences tended to be more moderate during Covid.
I'm curious, by "differences" here, do you mean differences between RT versus 2 one-way? I've gotten so used to traveling on one-way tickets recently that I've started to wonder if I am missing some good RT opportunities in the process. But in most cases when I compare the two, the difference still seems minimal. I'm sure it's route-dependent though.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I'm curious, by "differences" here, do you mean differences between RT versus 2 one-way? I've gotten so used to traveling on one-way tickets recently that I've started to wonder if I am missing some good RT opportunities in the process. But in most cases when I compare the two, the difference still seems minimal. I'm sure it's route-dependent though.
It's extremely route and fare-dependent. Despite what some people will tell you, there are still many domestic routes where you can get a RT for less than the price of the corresponding one-ways. Internationally, it's more common than not that a RT is cheaper, especially among nonrefundable tickets.
SPN Lifer, st3 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's extremely route and fare-dependent. Despite what some people will tell you, there are still many domestic routes where you can get a RT for less than the price of the corresponding one-ways. Internationally, it's more common than not that a RT is cheaper, especially among nonrefundable tickets.
Thanks, those are very helpful observations. And they may explain why I haven't been seeing much of a difference, because as of late I have only been shopping for refundable fares.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
nomad420

-m
I fly mostly in and out of Hawaii on business and having been doing this for literally decades but yes with the somewhat recent competition on SOME of the routes in and out of Hawaii the pricing has been stable. However, now post pandemic my international travel has recently picked back up and as you can see from many of the above posts many if not most (certainly where I need to go) the pricing has beyond question gone through the roof. Plenty of competition exists on these routes and yet we still see this kind of pricing which I might add is not entirely unique to UA. $11K Polaris pricing is not uncommon any more on TPACs and TATLs. Will they hold? Well that's anyone's guess.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just look at SFO-PVG in summer. You see same fare $2,680 one-way every day.

Or SFO-PEK. UA is charging $6,744.

Don't complain about high fares. Think about folks need to fly to China.

These are COACH fares.

This is truly madness.
weero likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Just look at SFO-PVG in summer. You see same fare $2,680 one-way every day.

Or SFO-PEK. UA is charging $6,744.

Don't complain about high fares. Think about folks need to fly to China.

These are COACH fares.

This is truly madness.
If folks really need to get to China that badly and don't mind flying on non-UA metal, they could fly to TPE (cheap) on UA or non-UA metal and then fly from there to China for far less. That's what some of my family is doing. Less than 1.3k per person to fly from east coast to Taipei on mostly UA metal and then 500ish a person round trip to go from there to China.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
However, now post pandemic my international travel has recently picked back up and as you can see from many of the above posts many if not most (certainly where I need to go) the pricing has beyond question gone through the roof.
There's no question domestic fares have seen a bump recently - both higher fares and more likely to see zeros in the deep discount buckets.

You can always find an exception, but unfortunately they're a real rarity for the dates/times I need to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.