Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
They aren't interested in low-yielding one-way traffic from Japan.

They'd rather fill that seat with a round-trip traveler, but they're willing to sell it to someone who needs a one-way seat if push comes to shove. (I mean, sure, they'd rather sell only high-yielding, one-way fares, but they know that's not realistic).
That logic only works if they can actually fill it. My NRT-SFO yesterday had 14 people upgraded to business and 1 to PP on the day of flight (and how knows how many beforehand), plus at least 2 op-ups to PP (yay me!). And that's not including anyone that paid to upgrade on the day ($1200 to business, $300 to PP, and I know at least one person paid for a PP upgrade). That's a lot of premium cabin seats gone wanting that they could have sold to one-way travelers!

I was on a one-way BKK-TYO-SFO (with a 2 day stopover in TYO) that cost $727. The same flight TYO-SFO without starting in BKK was over double that price.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert
That logic only works if they can actually fill it. My NRT-SFO yesterday had 14 people upgraded to business and 1 to PP on the day of flight (and how knows how many beforehand), plus at least 2 op-ups to PP (yay me!). And that's not including anyone that paid to upgrade on the day ($1200 to business, $300 to PP, and I know at least one person paid for a PP upgrade). That's a lot of premium cabin seats gone wanting that they could have sold to one-way travelers!
Note that this isn't strictly true - 45x $5k > 60x $2.5k. Although loads can be indicative of pricing success, it's not everything.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sardonic
Being 2x the price of a clearly better product is rarely a sustainable pricing strategy, again unless there's some external distortion.
Well, yes. Domestic aviation may be (partly) deregulated, but it is not your typical American liberalized market. It's a market protected against foreign competition by Congress, similar to most third-world countries. It's a market that historically greenlighted mergers and consolidations that defied all antitrust logic. And as a result of these factors, every one of these big domestic airlines has become so big and so indispensable that they can count on us, the taxpayers, to bail them out when anything goes wrong, meaning there is room for risks and experiments (with fares, not implying safety here). But by now, they have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Barring an extreme event that cannot be envisioned, structurally cheaper fares will only come back when the half-baked market deregulation is finally completed. Until then, Americans will continue to pay more than Asians or Europeans for air travel, and I'm taking the different income levels into account. The best way to achieve internal peace with this is to become a shareholder so you're no longer perpetually drawing the short straws.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mozilla
And as a result of these factors, every one of these big domestic airlines has become so big and so indispensable that they can count on us, the taxpayers, to bail them out when anything goes wrong, meaning there is room for risks and experiments (with fares, not implying safety here). But by now, they have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.
Um, what? With the exception of the pandemic, airlines have routinely gone bankrupt with no government intervention, including since the 2009 financial crisis. It's kind of the example sector of how companies go bankrupt.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert

I was on a one-way BKK-TYO-SFO (with a 2 day stopover in TYO) that cost $727. The same flight TYO-SFO without starting in BKK was over double that price.
Confirming that it's not a competitive market. It's duopoly pricing to/from Japan. Be nice to see DOJ focusing on this kind of truly anti-competitive conduct rather than, for example, the AA/B6 agreement.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum
NYTimes: Revenge Spending Helped Push Prices Higher. The Trend Is Turning.
After two years of spending heavily on vacations and other experiences that they were deprived of during pandemic lockdowns, Americans may be on the brink of pulling back — a cool-down that could help slow inflation.

The nation witnessed two years of red-hot “revenge spending,” the name economists and corporate executives gave to a spike in recreational spending and vacation splurging that followed coronavirus lockdowns. As demand rose, so did prices for airfares, hotels and other sought-after services.

But many of those price categories are now cooling. Hotel prices have recently climbed much more slowly on a year-over-year basis, and airfares fell in May, a report on Tuesday showed. If that trend continues this summer, it could contribute to a continuing slowdown in overall services inflation, something the Fed has been watching and waiting for.
SPN Lifer and mogi67 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Crazy ... just booked BOS-ZRH for next April. $2385 (P-class)

There are good deals if you look for them and you book early
findark likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BOS seems to be a nice home of good TATL fares these days.. biggest issue is if you don't live there it seems like it's a pretty expensive domestic market to split through
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:17 am

Would appreciate it if someone could explain this.

Booking a SEA-BEY round trip 7/7, 7/18 in coach on UA.com - cheapest fare is Y at $6234,

Booking same flight same days through Google flights, it gives you the option to book at UA and get a B fare for $3703.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Would appreciate it if someone could explain this.

Booking a SEA-BEY round trip 7/7, 7/18 in coach on UA.com - cheapest fare is Y at $6234,

Booking same flight same days through Google flights, it gives you the option to book at UA and get a B fare for $3703.
The $3703 fare quote are actually LH fares, not UA ones. U outbound and B return. Fare search on united.com will only show UA fare options and not LH ones. If you do fare search on LH website you see same $3703 fares.

There's actually a cheaper option with Economy outbound and PE on return found on LH site.

SFO 1K, SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by findark
BOS seems to be a nice home of good TATL fares these days.. biggest issue is if you don't live there it seems like it's a pretty expensive domestic market to split through
NYC even cheaper.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
The $3703 fare quote are actually LH fares, not UA ones. U outbound and B return. Fare search on united.com will only show UA fare options and not LH ones. If you do fare search on LH website you see same $3703 fares.
I agree, and I will likely book on LH.com, but it doesn't explain why a flight search directly on UA.com won't show the LH fare, but the Google search that sends me to book on UA.com shows the lower LH fare. That is what puzzles me.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
I agree, and I will likely book on LH.com, but it doesn't explain why a flight search directly on UA.com won't show the LH fare, but the Google search that sends me to book on UA.com shows the lower LH fare. That is what puzzles me.
Not unusual for airlines to not show cheaper partner fare option when searching on their websites. Delta website does the same thing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
Bummer that United is pulling BOS<->LHR, though probably a result of the "good TATL" fares.

Originally Posted by cfischer
NYC even cheaper.
Yes, I have taken advantage of this frequently. Helps to have an office nearby that negates some of the risk of ticket splitting.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Not unusual for airlines to not show cheaper partner fare option when searching on their websites. Delta website does the same thing.
I understand why, when I do an original search on UA.com, that UA currently blocks the cheaper LH fare. What I don't understand is why, when I use Google flights and find the cheaper LH fare, and I click on the "book with United" link, it sends me back to UA.com and I now see the cheaper LH fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.