Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I didn’t want to start a new thread and I’m sure this is a glitch.

Gee, after buying to and from London in Polaris, do I want to ride in 10-across coach or sardine can F on a UA Hawaii-conference curation 772 - it’s a tough decision

lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Gee, after buying to and from London in Polaris, do I want to ride in 10-across coach or sardine can F on a UA Hawaii-conference curation 772 - it’s a tough decision

This is hilarious.

UA needs cash badly.....
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Since my last post in this thread, the only UA pricing that makes any sense to me is to HKG. Every other destination is substantially more than what I paid in 2022 and before. Even LHR pricing is ridiculous from the west coast. It's actually cheaper for me to fly AA main cabin to LHR, which I will do as an OWE since I don't want to reward UA like this. I would save even more money with AA if I fly basic.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's less of a glitch and more of a combinability quirk. Basically, by selecting Polaris, you get the benefit of roundtrip fares (LAX -LHR // LHR-HNL), but when you select economy, then it has to insert a fare break at LAX, and you need either a roundtrip LAX-LHR fare that allows an end-on-end construction with LAX-HNL in Y, or you need three one-way fares that are mutually combinable. Based on the price, I'm guessing you got the latter.

UA is well aware that nobody would buy the J/JY ticket that way.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's less of a glitch and more of a combinability quirk. Basically, by selecting Polaris, you get the benefit of roundtrip fares (LAX -LHR // LHR-HNL), but when you select economy, then it has to insert a fare break at LAX, and you need either a roundtrip LAX-LHR fare that allows an end-on-end construction with LAX-HNL in Y, or you need three one-way fares that are mutually combinable. Based on the price, I'm guessing you got the latter.

The faring has gotten so complex, more and more it leads to truly absurd results.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan

This is a good explanation about the "quirk", those absurd high fares by UA.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - stand-alone coach LAX-HNL is $241 for that date.

I worked for a company long ago that might have said “you have to fly coach domestically” and paid $17k
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I worked for a company long ago that might have said “you have to fly coach domestically” and paid $17k
With a few such tickets you are on your way to GS
jsloan, SPN Lifer, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Once again, TPAC trip on United was pricing way out of line compared to others. Really wondering if my 1K renewal is at risk for the first time in a decade.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
$1000+ for economy fares in mid-July to fly ORD-SEA RT. $400-500 for AA or DL. Ridiculous.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Once again, TPAC trip on United was pricing way out of line compared to others. Really wondering if my 1K renewal is at risk for the first time in a decade.
It's starting to feel like that for me. I'm seriously considering just flying enough to be Gold and that's it. There's still plenty of time left in 2023, but things don't look good at the moment. UA's tpac pricing is insane.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's starting to feel like that for me. I'm seriously considering just flying enough to be Gold and that's it. There's still plenty of time left in 2023, but things don't look good at the moment. UA's tpac pricing is insane.
I have my 1MM, so lifetime Gold. Now wondering if I should shoot for AA status, as that seems to be where a lot of my flying is ending up, along with other One World airlines on Intl trips. It is either that, or true free agency.
High prices, along with astronomical award pricing, has really shot 1k value for me.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have my 1MM, so lifetime Gold. Now wondering if I should shoot for AA status, as that seems to be where a lot of my flying is ending up, along with other One World airlines on Intl trips. It is either that, or true free agency.
High prices, along with astronomical award pricing, has really shot 1k value for me.
Another topic in/for another thread, but they're interrelated. Pretty sure I can get to the high teens and maybe close in on 20k if I target some late year flying. But the new target for 1K is going to make it almost impossible (and living near EWR almost all of my flights are single segment, so that won't help). My measly data point is likely to leave several thousand on the table where I take away from UA because I'm not chasing an achievable status. The only way I fly UA late in the year is when it's well-priced and convenient for me. The latter will happen, but TATL I can't see myself on UA if 1K is a pipe dream in 3rd/4th quarter.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Slurve30
$1000+ for economy fares in mid-July to fly ORD-SEA RT. $400-500 for AA or DL. Ridiculous.
I see these posts and sometimes I'll plug in a random date - I get very different pricing, for instance ORD-SEA rt Jul 12-19 I get $578 - although in my opinion, it is way too early to be buying this kind of trip this far out (early to mid-June will probably have the best pricing for a mid-July trip)
jsloan, SPN Lifer, as219 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: UAL
I fly EWR-AMS in Polaris at least twice a month, sometimes more. Saving an insane amount of money by booking all my tx out of Amsterdam. If I paint myself into a corner I use miles to get home to NJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.