Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:45 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
10 segments, about 15k BIS, and barely 1400 PQP (before the bonus).......

LAS-OGG-DEN-CLE-ORD-ABQ-ABQ-DEN-OGG-SFO-LAS

all in the past 2-3 weeks..... unlikely anything INT this year

interesting thoughts about staying 'loyal' in busy markets but not getting much for it......other than a bunch of segments
Old Feb 10, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Just look at SFO-PVG in summer. You see same fare $2,680 one-way every day.

Or SFO-PEK. UA is charging $6,744.

Don't complain about high fares. Think about folks need to fly to China.

These are COACH fares.

This is truly madness.
A lot of this is just holding back fare bucket inventory because of uncertainty about travel to China. This was commonplace for Australia flights too when they were locked down and no one knew when they were going to re-open.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 10, 2023 at 6:52 am
Old Feb 10, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Clemson
If folks really need to get to China...
Good advice, terrible phrasing.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kb1992
Just look at SFO-PVG in summer. You see same fare $2,680 one-way every day.

Or SFO-PEK. UA is charging $6,744.

Don't complain about high fares. Think about folks need to fly to China.

These are COACH fares.

This is truly madness.
No one has to pay those fares. There are flights to PVG from SFO almost every day for under $1,000 o/w. No "loyalty" is worth that much.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Try to get to India on UA metal

It’s fare madness since ORD-DEL flights went kaput with the Ukraine war. I found a workaround using ORD-ZRH-BOM and could even book 1/2 way in PP.

EWR to DEL is 3x plus pricing.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jasonp622
best example I have found recently of travel I need to book is SFO-Brazil in June for 19-20K. I'm sure it will come down but Delta is 6K for same dates
I've typically been seeing 70-180% deltas into Brasil, but wow, >300% is outrageous. To be sure, the delta between carriers may also be a function of date and to a lesser extent, city pairs. Only today, I just purchased tix for May where the delta for Delta was 77% with really good flight times. Rather would purchase UA but easy decision otherwise
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Revenue management likely has not touched fares 9 months out and fine tune them based on expected demand.

Do you normally buy tickets so far out? 3-6 weeks usually the sweet spot based on my experience, or whatever the longest advance purchase period would be.
Well, the SFO-KOA fares for October are still sky high and seats are not even selling. Other airlines are also super pricey. I’ve never seen them so high. We’re attending a wedding and staying 2 weeks and even with shifting the travel days there’s no relief. Tempted to book fully refundable fare and make a change later if and hopefully when there’s a price drop.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ERtraveler
Well, the SFO-KOA fares for October are still sky high and seats are not even selling. Other airlines are also super pricey.
It's too early to book. It's basically a game of chicken, and if seats don't sell in advance, UA will have to lower its fares.

I'm seeing this as close in as mid-March, with SFO-PHX Y fares consistently over $300 one-way, whereas advance-purchase fares on this route are usually under $150 (and sometimes under $100).
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, the SFO-KOA fares for October are still sky high and seats are not even selling. Other airlines are also super pricey. I’ve never seen them so high. We’re attending a wedding and staying 2 weeks and even with shifting the travel days there’s no relief. Tempted to book fully refundable fare and make a change later if and hopefully when there’s a price drop.
well, still 7 months out.

I personally wouldn’t worry about it right now. If this was for say, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc. maybe I’d be looking a bit more closely. October (IMO) is not really peak time either. I’d say probably no need to look before about June, and then keep watching to see when a fare closer to the one you want pops up. With no change fees, snag something that looks semi-decent, then you can always change and get the balance as a credit. If you really intent on watching the fares, I’d do no more for now then setting up alerts on Kayak or Google flights. This will also give you an idea of when fares are really starting to move. Then look a little more closer as summer starts to come around.
jsloan, ERtraveler, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:35 pm

I usually book this ticket 300 days out because the biz seats usually book up early and the price usually doesn’t vary much until close-in - then it goes up. I usually pay 1/3 the current price, about $1200.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I usually book this ticket 300 days out because the biz seats usually book up early and the price usually doesn’t vary much until close-in - then it goes up. I usually pay 1/3 the current price, about $1200.
You usually pay $1200 or 1/3 of $1200? UA's lowest current published roundtrip F fare on the route for October is $1167 for an L that books into P, excluding taxes and fees. But it's not releasing any of the discount inventory, which has been very common on SFO-Hawaii for a while now. IME it's been very difficult to book an F roundtrip for under $1600 or 1700, and it's frequently higher.

Fares via or ex-LAX are considerably cheaper right now. UA appears to be assessing a significant nonstop premium from SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA is only selling down to D in F west coast to HNL for the October dates I looked at yesterday. UA F one-way fares are over $1.1k. DL and AA are under $700. UA is thinking sales to suckers who insist on booking early will counter-balance loss of sales. I'm looking to book in October and I'm pretty sure UA HI fall ticket prices will drop significantly by the beginning of summer. With wide-open cabins, there's absolutely no reason to book now.
SPN Lifer, Kacee, Repooc17 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
My posts from a month ago are still true, as UA has not filed deep discounted fares. This is a selling tactic...people with inflexible dates months from now tend to book as early as possible due to fear of prices going up higher. Airlines know this exact effect.

People are trying to rationalize why the fare is still expensive, but if you can't wait, then do what make you feel comfortable.

I still haven't booked most of my March travels yet.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:43 pm

Revenue management likely has not touched fares 9 months out and fine tune them based on expected demand.

Do you normally buy tickets so far out? 3-6 weeks usually the sweet spot based on my experience, or whatever the longest advance purchase period would be.
Originally Posted by Kacee
You usually pay $1200 or 1/3 of $1200? UA's lowest current published roundtrip F fare on the route for October is $1167 for an L that books into P, excluding taxes and fees. But it's not releasing any of the discount inventory, which has been very common on SFO-Hawaii for a while now. IME it's been very difficult to book an F roundtrip for under $1600 or 1700, and it's frequently higher.

Fares via or ex-LAX are considerably cheaper right now. UA appears to be assessing a significant nonstop premium from SFO.
$1200. I’m on Big Island now on a $1200’ish. A semi-peak time, more so than Oct, though the women’s IronMan is mid-Oct.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 8:22 pm

UA has not filed deep discounted fares.
They have, see my post above. They're just not opening discount inventory.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
DL and AA are under $700.
On a handful of days, connecting through LAX or SEA. UA is not matching. They're probably counting on suckers spending up to chase the new 1K threshold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.