Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issue Trying to Use Upgrade Certs inside T-24 when R>0

Issue Trying to Use Upgrade Certs inside T-24 when R>0

Old May 4, 17, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
When I tried this in March, it did not work online. I tried while not checked in (no sequence number / no BP) and also while checked in; no dice.

Some discussion of this at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...in-24-hrs.html -- see the last few pages for 2017-era discussion.

Various conversations I had over the phone when I tried to apply confirmable upgrades to flights with R inventory within 3 hours of travel included:

(1) Sure! I can do that. Um, it isn't working. Let me try another way. No, that isn't working. Please hold. (5 minutes later) Well, my supervisor showed me a memo and says that we can't do that within 3 hours and the systems won't let us do it either.

(2) Looks like the flight you want to confirm departs within 3 hours. Sorry, we can't do that any more. No, this isn't a new rule, this has always been the rule, it's just ... um ... it's a new memo that we got that clarified the rule.

(3) I can try. Hmm, it isn't working. Let me try something else. Hmm. (5-10 minutes on hold) Well, I think I found a supervisor who says they could do it, but there isn't confirmable space any more. Sorry about that.

If this system has changed once again, or if a new group of agents has figured out a way to do it, that would be great.
Well, the agent working on my upfare (K to W) grabbed the remaining business seats before finishing the upfaring. This prevented the gate agent assign seats to someone else. The whole process took a good 30 min. When it was done, boarding had already started for my friend. So, I was lucky to have a good agent (back in later January).
Old Sep 10, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
So if R/RN is available within 24 hours of departure, is an agent supposed to let you apply the instrument?

Twice now I've had friends jump a massive queue of instrument-upgraders (I know it's instrument because the flights are not CPU-able) within 5 hours of departure when R space opened up. And those friends were on low fares...K or L type things. With a list of 50 people on a heavy biz route, I'm sure there were some GS or 1K on higher fares (my friends are not GS).

I guess this is a failure of UA's batch processing sweep to catch that R opened?
System 1 (fare-bucket-adjuster-system) runs at :00 -> Set R to 1 (was previously 0)
<------Insert optimal call to apply RPU and snag the R=1 spot---->
System 3 (upgrade sweeper for non-checked in) runs at 1:00 -> Look for R, upgrade if available [no R]
System 2 (upgrade sweeper for checked-in waitlist) runs at 1:05 -> Look for R, upgrade if available [no R]

Is this working as intended?

And, does this suggest that it's better to not apply the RPU at all on hot routes and then try to squeeze in at the very last minute? (Or, if you've already applied the RPU, maybe you can have success calling in, removing the old instrument, undoing check-in, and applying the instrument again to grab the space?)
Old Sep 10, 17, 2:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bigwings8 View Post
So if R/RN is available within 24 hours of departure, is an agent supposed to let you apply the instrument?

Twice now I've had friends jump a massive queue of instrument-upgraders (I know it's instrument because the flights are not CPU-able) within 5 hours of departure when R space opened up. And those friends were on low fares...K or L type things. With a list of 50 people on a heavy biz route, I'm sure there were some GS or 1K on higher fares (my friends are not GS).

I guess this is a failure of UA's batch processing sweep to catch that R opened?
System 1 (fare-bucket-adjuster-system) runs at :00 -> Set R to 1 (was previously 0)
System 3 (upgrade sweeper for non-checked in) runs at 1:00 -> Look for R, upgrade if available [no R]
System 2 (upgrade sweeper for checked-in waitlist) runs at 1:05 -> Look for R, upgrade if available [no R]

And, does this suggest that it's better to not apply the RPU at all on hot routes and then try to squeeze in at the very last minute? (Or, if you've already applied the RPU, maybe you can have success calling in, removing the old instrument, undoing check-in, and applying the instrument again to grab the space?)
UC agents are usually willing to apply an instrument after T24h. 1K and others, not so much.

David
Old Sep 10, 17, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

It is not really working as intended, but it does work the way you described. They've been trying for years to close this hole and have not succeeded.

The optimal strategy is to waitlist the instrument and then do what you say (call in, maybe dump an extra cert on it) if you see open R space. You need to keep the waitlist because many, many times that "optimal window" you cited is more like seconds than hours.
Old Sep 10, 17, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Twice now I've had friends jump a massive queue of instrument-upgraders (I know it's instrument because the flights are not CPU-able) within 5 hours of departure when R space opened up.
This has been a known trick for many years.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: