Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issue Trying to Use Upgrade Certs inside T-24 when R>0

Issue Trying to Use Upgrade Certs inside T-24 when R>0

Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by ecosse3
After 4 attempts at HUCA, he was unable to snag the spot. He said that the agents were VERY insistent that this could NOT be done.
That is likely because if the agent has to explain a policy to a customer that they believe will HUCA, they will often notate the passenger's record. So each agent receiving the calls will see it.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JC5280
That is likely because if the agent has to explain a policy to a customer that they believe will HUCA, they will often notate the passenger's record. So each agent receiving the calls will see it.
And the HUCA box in CRM is checked ...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
And the HUCA box in CRM is checked ...
Is this a real thing? Do agents really do this?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
No RPUs/GPUs if requested <24 hours before departure??

Did same day change and wanted to transfer RPUs and GPUs to new flight. Was told not possible since less than 24 hours before flight. Sounds fishy...
Case of HUCA??
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
OK, here is a strange one. I applied an upgrade (RPU) for my son about 2 weeks before flight. At t-24, he had not cleared. Checked him in, and he was about #6 on waitlist for upgrade according to United app. Then, about T-23, he magically was upgraded to the last F seat. I looked, and the names of the people that were ahead of him remained on the list. How is this possible? I thought the list on the App was correctly prioritized, including putting instrument people ahead of non-instrument people.

I am very happy with this result, but it confuses me.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blueman2
OK, here is a strange one. I applied an upgrade (RPU) for my son about 2 weeks before flight. At t-24, he had not cleared. Checked him in, and he was about #6 on waitlist for upgrade according to United app. Then, about T-23, he magically was upgraded to the last F seat. I looked, and the names of the people that were ahead of him remained on the list. How is this possible? I thought the list on the App was correctly prioritized, including putting instrument people ahead of non-instrument people.

I am very happy with this result, but it confuses me.
The visible list is the gate list and it is not used until the gate.

Your son was upgraded from the invisible pre-gate list. The main difference is time of request if status and fare class are the same. The Gate list uses order (seq number) of checking in.

The short answer is the two list are not prioritized the same way and occasionally this can lead to weird outcomes.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Sponsor upgrade within T-3hr?

Hi Folks,
Yesterday I tried to sponsor an RPU for a colleague who was flying on a PS flight which, to my great surprise, I noticed had R2 available about 2.5 hours before the flight was scheduled to depart. I thought it would be a nice gesture to sponsor him an upgrade since my RPUs never seem to clear I wanted to see them used!

So, I called the 1K desk but told me they could not do so within 3 hours of flight time even with R open. I was told that the only way I could apply an RPU was to physically go to the airport with my colleague and apply it at the check-in counter. I wasn't flying so this wasn't going to happen. So, I was unable to upgrade him.

Should I have HUCA or is this a case where I was out of luck? Any ideas how to do that in the future if it occurs again?
Old May 4, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
99% sure you can only apply them >24hrs from departure

You may find an agent willing, but YMMV
Old May 4, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
GPU upgrade, in my case

Originally Posted by qwicker
Hi Folks,
Yesterday I tried to sponsor an RPU for a colleague who was flying on a PS flight which, to my great surprise, I noticed had R2 available about 2.5 hours before the flight was scheduled to depart. I thought it would be a nice gesture to sponsor him an upgrade since my RPUs never seem to clear I wanted to see them used!

So, I called the 1K desk but told me they could not do so within 3 hours of flight time even with R open. I was told that the only way I could apply an RPU was to physically go to the airport with my colleague and apply it at the check-in counter. I wasn't flying so this wasn't going to happen. So, I was unable to upgrade him.

Should I have HUCA or is this a case where I was out of luck? Any ideas how to do that in the future if it occurs again?
I did upfare from K to W and applied a GPU after my friend flew the first segment. So, it was T-1h or less before the second segment in my case.
Yes, you should do HUCA in your situation.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:17 pm

I was called in and upgraded with a GPU into open R space at T-1.05. I was worried that the flight would go under gate control before the agent could clear it. If the space is open always HUCA.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
I was called in and upgraded with a GPU into open R space at T-1.05. I was worried that the flight would go under gate control before the agent could clear it. If the space is open always HUCA.
How recently did you do that? In March, I had several experiences where open R inventory could not be confirmed via GPU because "sorry it's within 3 hours of travel and we can't do that any more". I think the success rate was zero out of about 20 phone calls.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
How recently did you do that? In March, I had several experiences where open R inventory could not be confirmed via GPU because "sorry it's within 3 hours of travel and we can't do that any more". I think the success rate was zero out of about 20 phone calls.
Did you try doing it online? Or has that functionality disappeared as well?
Old May 4, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mherdeg
That's mysterious. I thought the only reason for being blocked from applying a certificate with open R would be gate control. Did the agents explain further, or just quote '3 hours'?
Old May 4, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
When I tried this in March, it did not work online. I tried while not checked in (no sequence number / no BP) and also while checked in; no dice.

Originally Posted by fumje
That's mysterious. I thought the only reason for being blocked from applying a certificate with open R would be gate control. Did the agents explain further, or just quote '3 hours'?
Some discussion of this at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...in-24-hrs.html -- see the last few pages for 2017-era discussion.

Various conversations I had over the phone when I tried to apply confirmable upgrades to flights with R inventory within 3 hours of travel included:

(1) Sure! I can do that. Um, it isn't working. Let me try another way. No, that isn't working. Please hold. (5 minutes later) Well, my supervisor showed me a memo and says that we can't do that within 3 hours and the systems won't let us do it either.

(2) Looks like the flight you want to confirm departs within 3 hours. Sorry, we can't do that any more. No, this isn't a new rule, this has always been the rule, it's just ... um ... it's a new memo that we got that clarified the rule.

(3) I can try. Hmm, it isn't working. Let me try something else. Hmm. (5-10 minutes on hold) Well, I think I found a supervisor who says they could do it, but there isn't confirmable space any more. Sorry about that.

If this system has changed once again, or if a new group of agents has figured out a way to do it, that would be great.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
99% sure you can only apply them >24hrs from departure
That's wrong. You can only waitlist outside 24 hours. You can still clear into open R.

Originally Posted by GBadger
That disappeared a couple years ago inside of T-24.

Originally Posted by fumje
I thought the only reason for being blocked from applying a certificate with open R would be gate control.
They're trying to stop queue jumping. Due to system limitations (can't clear upgrades dynamically, as inventory opens), they have to use this very clumsy methodology.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.