Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking: Flexible less than "lowest economy" to SYD.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM.

I've been looking to book a trip to AU or NZ right at the 330 day mark. I am seeing two strange things that might be tied together.

1. The flight out has a great deal for the non-stop SFO/SYD leg. $792 each and we can use GPUs. But this seems to come in as a "flexible fare" in W. ("Lowest" V is over $1200.) So when choosing this, we are only give very expensive returns and never just on UA metal.

2. I can find the return flights, non-stop. But when I look at award travel. .bomb will show it. Just never provide this option to buy. I have flexibility in return dates and have started looking at a number of days. I can't get these flights, at any price. Only under award travel.

Any hints on how to book this (paying) and use GPUs on United metal?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The booking engine on .bomb is completely non-functional for me right now (can't get signin to stick for Expert Mode or select any flights), but I have a pretty good guess about what you're seeing.

The number one rule here is segment prices on the UA booking engine are misleading. Often, as is the case here, you might see a segment to your destination (A-B) with a low price because the engine actually priced you on A-C with a stopover in B. It's admittedly a little difficult to say how the engine "should" show you these if it's letting you select per-segment.

In any case, you're probably seeing the result of the fare WHX0ZUMZ SFO to AKL, which allows a stopover in Area 3 (Asia/Australia/NZ) for $100. So the booking engine is allowing you to book SFO-SYD-AKL, with a "stopover" of your destination time in SYD, followed by AKL-SFO with a "destination" time in AKL of whatever the connect is.

If you're looking to go to Australia or New Zealand and like the overall price (about $2,300 in W), do both! You're already fared that way. But the $792 segment price to SYD is misleading and cannot be booked on its own.

The choice of outbound segment is probably also locking the choices you see for the return. This is unusual - it will normally price the other options as if you re-fared your outbound, but .bomb is really broken right now..

A wonderful and in-depth explanation of this phenomenon can be found here. Make sense?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The choice of outbound segment is probably also locking the choices you see for the return. This is unusual - it will normally price the other options as if you re-fared your outbound, but .bomb is really broken right now..
It was doing this to me recently on an SFO-KIX fare, where I could not get it to display the nonstop on the return. Extremely frustrating. You know the flight is there and that there's wide open availability, but .com won't return it as an option.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
It was doing this to me recently on an SFO-KIX fare, where I could not get it to display the nonstop on the return. Extremely frustrating. You know the flight is there and that there's wide open availability, but .com won't return it as an option.
Yeah... at that point I think you give up, call, and feed the routing and booking codes to an agent.

Poking around with the US-AU routing, I noticed that even ITA isn't smart enough (for whatever reason) to suggest the SFO-SYD-AKL-SFO routing. It will offer the AKL fare on SFO-LAX-SYD-AKL-SFO, and price the nonstop SFO-SYD that way if I force the routing. UA does the same, but still broken enough that I can't confirm the forced routing gives the lower fare there.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
Thanks. This seems to be the issue. Fares that are available are WHX0ZUMZ with AKL routing required. I'd be happy with at an actual "stay" in AKL, but the W routing in economy is pretty pricey too get the dates that work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.