Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earlier Opening for Customs & Immigration @ SFO, UA flights still arrive before open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earlier Opening for Customs & Immigration @ SFO, UA flights still arrive before open

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any recent experience here? My daughter is flying in from Tel Aviv tomorrow morning on UA. Flight is scheduled to arrive at 6am, but it has been arriving about an hour early all week. If her plane is early, will she need to wait until customs opens? If so what time?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Any recent experience here? My daughter is flying in from Tel Aviv tomorrow morning on UA. Flight is scheduled to arrive at 6am, but it has been arriving about an hour early all week. If her plane is early, will she need to wait until customs opens? If so what time?
Single data point for you:

UA 916 Mon Nov 5 - we landed early at 06:10. Customs/immigration was open and staffed. I have GE and there were only 2 of us at the kiosks and not many people in the regular line.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On my latest arrival into SFO, they crew was well prepared - they told us when we took off what exactly will happen: seat belt sign off and cannot take bags out until very close to 6 AM.

6 AM, door opened. Cargo door did not open before 6.

In the past, with multiple arrivals, first bag did not even come out until 6:40 for my flight once. This time, it was better - I think 6:25ish. So, I think UA is improving on this front. If they can only work out a deal with the government to open the cargo doors and get ready to unload the bags before 6 AM...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
No recent experience, but to the best of my knowledge, if her flight arrives early, she will need to wait until customs opens at 6 am.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just to confirm, daughter's plane scheduled to arrive at 6am this morning. Plane arrived at 5:10am and everyone had to wait inside plane until 6am when customs opened. And, of course, my daughter asked for water while waiting on the ground and the friendly skies said "no more drink service".......

I had assumed this was the case and didn't show up to get her until 6:20.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just to confirm, daughter's plane scheduled to arrive at 6am this morning. Plane arrived at 5:10am and everyone had to wait inside plane until 6am when customs opened. And, of course, my daughter asked for water while waiting on the ground and the friendly skies said "no more drink service".......

@RobUAIntl
Thanks for confirming 6am. I guess I've been lucky with my early morning SFO arrivals.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:59 am

So why doesn't UA just schedule the TLV-SFO flight to depart 1 hour later? One wonders.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
So why doesn't UA just schedule the TLV-SFO flight to depart 1 hour later? One wonders.
Because departures from TLV stop at 01:00AM. They are essentially the last departure slot.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
In addition to the TLV curfew, the actual flight time of a flight that long will vary significantly with changes in wind. Just a 50 knot (57 mph) change in average wind will change the flight time by close to 90 minutes. You have to build time into the schedule so that days with unfavorable winds don't result in two-hour arrival delays. When the winds are more favorable you'll arrive early.
24left likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:51 am

TPE-SFO arrived over an hour early this morning. There were at least 3 announcements about arriving too early for CBP and to stay seated. FAs at first were like hawks on people getting up and then they relented after a minute.

Even at TPE they announced we'd be early. This seems to happen here and there. I'm sure there is a good reason why it is scheduled this way. But how hard would it be to push it back even a half-hour?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
TPE-SFO arrived over an hour early this morning. There were at least 3 announcements about arriving too early for CBP and to stay seated. FAs at first were like hawks on people getting up and then they relented after a minute.

Even at TPE they announced we'd be early. This seems to happen here and there. I'm sure there is a good reason why it is scheduled this way. But how hard would it be to push it back even a half-hour?
I agree. UA872 is scheduled 11.35 - 06.50. Fortunately if customs opens at 6 am, and plane arrives an hour early, there would only be a 10 minute wait until pax can deplane. But why not depart at noon TPE time?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree. UA872 is scheduled 11.35 - 06.50. Fortunately if customs opens at 6 am, and plane arrives an hour early, there would only be a 10 minute wait until pax can deplane. But why not depart at noon TPE time?
I'm guessing it has to do with parking fees at TPE.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing it has to do with parking fees at TPE.
I note that after the SFO-TPE plane arrives in the evening, it is towed to a remote parking location. The next morning, it is towed back to the T2 gate, so it does not occupy a gate overnight.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I’ve arrived at IAH more than once before the IAH CBP opening time of 6am [edit - think it might be 5am]. Never been held captive on the plane... allowed to deplane and then line up in the walkway area prior to descending down into the processing area. Not much of a wait (5-15 mins) but at least this way you’re in line ahead of any other (later) arrivals

Last edited by Dyce; Jan 23, 2020 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA
I note that after the SFO-TPE plane arrives in the evening, it is towed to a remote parking location. The next morning, it is towed back to the T2 gate, so it does not occupy a gate overnight.
Airlines get charged parking fees, usually by minute, it just costs less to park at a stand rather than a gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.