EWR-CHS equipment upgrade??

Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gold23
GA Matthew in CHS (my favorite UA employee simply because he's super efficient, professional, and candid) told me last week that he believes EWR-CHS will be "mostly to all" E170 and larger by the fall. I don't know how that impacts schedules already out and posted, but he's always just smiled and nodded when I've complained about the 145's in the past.
Starting to see E-175 to EWR now, plus to IAH

IAD is almost all RJ-170, ORD is still 145, with a smattering of Mainline 737
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:12 pm

Good question. I'm not sure I know the answer....I've spotted it a few times, but not often. I'm generally distracted by the world's prettiest bridge. On the main road in/out of the airport you get a clear and sweet view of the dream liners lined up and freshly painted.
Best part of my day typically

Also, depending on the runway, you either see them or you don't.

Typically the door side is your best bet for a south approach. For north approach you never get close to them, you taxi behind the airport.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:38 am

OK, resurrecting old thread cause: RANT

Jan 28 - ORD -> CHS

Can't fly FC on any route - I can make one if I multi segment, endure a 6hr layover at IAD and pay $2800 for a ONE WAY ticket

OR

I can fly AA, first class with a stop at DFW and get breakfast on the flight to DFW and Lunch on the flight to CHS for $529

I want to fly United - but they are making it VERY difficult

EDIT: Forgot this was about EWR-CHS mainly, but yeah, still stinks
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:24 am

CHS, what a dream.
My brother and father both live there so I have done the trip multiple times from ORD/EWR on these great aircraft.

Just as said before, left side of aircraft for arrival from the south into CHS has been the best to view the 787's at Boeing, but on the right days/time the Boeing Dreamlifter has been out there as well, great plane to see.

I'm always on the 6am departure, usually asleep before push back, so never got to really see the view on the way out.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
OK, resurrecting old thread cause: RANT

Jan 28 - ORD -> CHS

Can't fly FC on any route - I can make one if I multi segment, endure a 6hr layover at IAD and pay $2800 for a ONE WAY ticket

OR

I can fly AA, first class with a stop at DFW and get breakfast on the flight to DFW and Lunch on the flight to CHS for $529

I want to fly United - but they are making it VERY difficult

EDIT: Forgot this was about EWR-CHS mainly, but yeah, still stinks
I wonder why this is happening.... Clearly, there is demand on these routes. Every EWR or ORD flight is booked to the gils, and there are multiple ones each day. One of the many wonderful GAs mentioned to me a while back about ExpessJet contract (at least with respect to EWR), yada yada. But these routes could both supports a mainline at least once per day, 7 days a week- plus one or two ERJ-170/175s. Airfare from EWR is also dirt cheap in advance, and I firmly believe that market would support higher airfares (don't read this, UA).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:34 am

I wonder why this is happening.... Clearly, there is demand on these routes. Every EWR or ORD flight is booked to the gils, and there are multiple ones each day. One of the many wonderful GAs mentioned to me a while back about ExpessJet contract (at least with respect to EWR), yada yada. But these routes could both supports a mainline at least once per day, 7 days a week- plus one or two ERJ-170/175s. Airfare from EWR is also dirt cheap in advance, and I firmly believe that market would support higher airfares (don't read this, UA).
I think it is competition:

Jetblue daily to FLL, JFK and BOS
Alaska 4x a week direct to Seattle (We call it the "Boeing" flight)
WN has upped its presence
Delta - even thru winter has 20 flights a day to ATL, JFK, LGA and DTW
AA - also 20 flights a day to CLT, DFW, DCA, PHL, MIA

Since the Airport was renovated, AA has almost doubled their presence, WN has doubled their flights, Alaska and B6 have shown up. United, I think is feeling the squeeze and doesn't feel it is worth fighting for.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:43 am

Well, my boss calls 45 min ago, have to be there tonight...

My choices - RJ145 - direct
CRJ-700 to IAD and a Q300 from IAD - EWR

LOL

I am flying American CRJ-900 to CLT and a 737 to EWR
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Well, my boss calls 45 min ago, have to be there tonight...

My choices - RJ145 - direct
CRJ-700 to IAD and a Q300 from IAD - EWR

LOL

I am flying American CRJ-900 to CLT and a 737 to EWR
Effectively doubling travel time on a <2h sector just to avoid an ERJ? I'm glad I'm not paying you by the hour for travel time!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
Effectively doubling travel time on a <2h sector just to avoid an ERJ? I'm glad I'm not paying you by the hour for travel time!
I would rather fly the E45 on the A side than either CR9 or 737 in Y. Add a connection? Only if I was flying in F with >75% chance.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:36 pm

And..........

The United RJ145 is cancelled

Originally Posted by findark
I would rather fly the E45 on the A side than either CR9 or 737 in Y. Add a connection? Only if I was flying in F with >75% chance.
I don't have status on AA so a F ticket is cheaper than flying Y and paying for a 68# bag and a second check bag (Typically $160)

The F ticket on AA was $80 cheaper than Y on the rj145

Originally Posted by EWR764
This client woke up my boss at 2am, I found out at 10am I have to fly out by 4pm. They destroyed between 700K and 1.3mil in equipment. 2 hours of my time isn't even a rounding error in their bill.

Also, I was on vacation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

The only reason not to fly the ERJ in that instance is because of what occurred. They cancel those suckers like crazy. In winter, I always try to fly UA into EWR. I've found that UA cancellations are based on that day's operations and weather. Other carriers into EWR are based on that day's AND tomorrow's. I don't think they want equipment stranded there.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

It appears the ERJ-170/5's have dissapeared off of the timetable for the coming months. This is very dissapointing....I was loving the 6 pm 170 back to EWR. It looks like they've simply eliminated one flight daily.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

I've now given a little over $7k of my business to DL and AA out of CHS for the first few months of this year, solely because of the 145 situation. It's a terrible aircraft and is completely unreliable from a scheduling standpoint.

I'm in ORD, MSP, and tons of CHS, and am based in EWR. I've always been loyal to UA primarily because of my base, but I have lots of other options when I'm going station to station and I've shifted most of it away from UA. I've also noticed the loads seem to be a bit less than they were in the past from EWR-CHS and back. I fly all seasons, so it doesn't just seem to be winter.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:20 am

I've now given a little over $7k of my business to DL and AA out of CHS for the first few months of this year, solely because of the 145 situation. It's a terrible aircraft and is completely unreliable from a scheduling standpoint.

I'm in ORD, MSP, and tons of CHS, and am based in EWR. I've always been loyal to UA primarily because of my base, but I have lots of other options when I'm going station to station and I've shifted most of it away from UA. I've also noticed the loads seem to be a bit less than they were in the past from EWR-CHS and back. I fly all seasons, so it doesn't just seem to be winter.
I hear you, I have almost made Platinum on AA just from January - I was going to do a status match and then just never submitted the email reply once I saw my schedule. I am pretty sure I'll be able to keep Exec Plat and 1K easily. Kinda stinks splitting your miles and time up but meh, what can you do.

Here is a breakdown I did for the Oscar "Things gotta get better" thread

Same here in CHS:

United - 11 flights a day
EWR 3x
IAD 3x
ORD 3x
IAH 2x
Typically only 1 of those flights on a E75, 2 on a CRJ7 - everything else R145

Compare to:

AA - 19 flights a day
PHL 2x
DCA 4x
DFW 2x
CLT 9x
MIA 2x
Several mainline and only 1 flight without FC

DL - 15 flights a day
JFK 1x
LGA 3x
ATL 10x (all mainline)
DTW 1x

All have FC

6 Jetblue and 6 Southwest flights a day and the "Boeing" flight on Air Alaska non stop to Seattle 4 times a week

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2017 at 12:54 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I hear you, I have almost made Platinum on AA just from January - I was going to do a status match and then just never submitted the email reply once I saw my schedule. I am pretty sure I'll be able to keep Exec Plat and 1K easily. Kinda stinks splitting your miles and time up but meh, what can you do.

Here is a breakdown I did for the Oscar "Things gotta get better" thread

Same here in CHS:

United - 11 flights a day
EWR 3x
IAD 3x
ORD 3x
IAH 2x
Typically only 1 of those flights on a E75, 2 on a CRJ7 - everything else R145

Compare to:

AA - 19 flights a day
PHL 2x
DCA 4x
DFW 2x
CLT 9x
MIA 2x
Several mainline and only 1 flight without FC

DL - 15 flights a day
JFK 1x
LGA 3x
ATL 10x (all mainline)
DTW 1x

All have FC

6 Jetblue and 6 Southwest flights a day and the "Boeing" flight on Air Alaska non stop to Seattle 4 times a week
Two weeks ago, during the standard 2 hr delay "due to operational difficulties" on the 145's (while every other airline into NYC was fine), I asked what happened to the 6 pm Republic flights on the larger regionals. Was told it was a "contractual issue" with an eye roll.

The good news is that there seems to be one mainline flight midweek once March rolls around. I was warned by one of the GA, however, that we might have more problems. Of the three daily midweek flights, each will be operated by a separate company (Comutair has taken over one of the 145 flights).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.