Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Exclamation UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Just got this when logging in

Account Security Update

We’re enhancing the security of MileagePlus accounts by asking you to create a new password and answer some security questions. You have 30 days to make these updates. If you don’t make the updates within this timeframe, then you will be guided through the process the next time you access your account.

Obediently complied and Answered 5 security questions. I was next put back on the login screen, and when I enter my MP number, I get a response that my MP # is invalid. On hold for the past 10 minutes. Apparently this is happening a lot

MPSC said this is the first day of the roll-out and they started with elites. Now on hold with web support.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm Reason: Correct SP
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got the five questions but never an opportunity to set a new password.

I sense a major cf on the way here
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Yep. Word to the wise.......defer making the update. You have 30 days
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:28 pm

It looks like they are finally removing the ability to sign in with your pin. The app now just says "password" not "password or pin". .com still says both but will only accept password.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Just saw this when I noticed the last 4 digits of my phone number were wrong during a mileage booking and tried to update it. Strange things are happening but I'm all for the enhanced security as someone fraudulently used over a million miles from my account last year.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So I answered the 5 questions but was never given a chance to select a password.

I logged out and tried to log in again (with PIN) but it wouldn't let me, so I used the Forgot Password option to choose a new password and now I can get in by using my Mileage Plus Number and Password.

Last edited by swiftaw; Feb 11, 2016 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:48 pm

I think if you already have a "good" password you might not need to make a new one? https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/lo...s-members.aspx

But for those of us who might have set up a password way back when but having been getting by on our PINs forever (and therefore have forgotten our passwords or even that we HAVE passwords), we do need to go the route swiftaw suggested. (Thanks!)

Last edited by fortunecooki; Feb 11, 2016 at 9:53 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiftaw
So I added the 5 questions but was never given a chance to select a password.

I logged out and tried to log in again (with PIN) but it wouldn't let me, so I used the Forgot Password option to choose a new password and now I can get in by sueding my Mileage Plus Number and Password.
Won't work for me. When I try to use the "Forgot Password" link, I am required to enter my MP # which triggers the response that the number is invalid. Web support says wait 24 hours and try again. Your UA IT at its best.

Update: I was able to locate the password created many moons ago and it worked.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Feb 11, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:10 pm

I updated my security settings and the "Forgot Password" page worked for me. It asked 2 out of the 5 questions that were set up.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I answered the new five questions (and I like how they pre-fill answers for you)

No password reset needed for me here in the great white north!!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
i got thru the process and was never prompted to enter a password, but i was logged in. (i'm generally recognized by the website from this machine..) i used edit profile to set a username and a password. the username doesn't work yet, but now the only way i can log in is with my MP number and new password. the PIN is no longer valid. progress!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:19 pm

Surely such a critical security enhancement would have included extensive internal and external testing before releasing to all members?

Or maybe we are those external Guinea pigs since there hasn't been an official email blast or UA Insider announcement of it here.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by DBCme
Surely such a critical security enhancement would have included extensive internal and external testing before releasing to all members?

Or maybe we are those external Guinea pigs since there hasn't been an official email blast or UA Insider announcement of it here.
This is the company that allowed people to log in with a 4 digit pin number lol. I was disappointed but not surprised to see that the security question answers had to be selected from a dropdown .
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DBCme
I think they take their cue from Microsoft. Use the public as beta testers!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
United initiates new Mileage Pluss Account Security Update

Glad I never set a PIN

I still login using my UA original MP number too, just for my own petulance sake.

Last edited by goalie; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:10 pm Reason: Removed trolling reference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.