Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm now completely locked out of my account.

Doesn't recognize either my MP number or my old password.

Originally Posted by DBCme
Surely such a critical security enhancement would have included extensive internal and external testing before releasing to all members?
lol post of the day!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
Logged in the old way, then was prompted to answer the 5 questions. Done. But the system did not give me the option to change my password. Clicked on "forgot password" & answered the 5 questons which then allowed to provide a new password. Logged out and then logged in with the new username and password.

Trouble is all my friends who are close to me could answer those questions.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I answered the five security questions tonight and I also had to set a new password. I only ever used a password on United.com (never used a PIN) but it was only 6 characters. The new passwords must be at least 8 characters long.

After setting the new password I am successfully able to login to my account using mystatus.united.com as well as united.com so all is good on my side. And my account info still appears to be accurate.

-RM
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
I can't even get to the questions to answer them. The first thing they ask you to do is confirm your e-mail address. I tried to confirm my correct e-mail address 5 times and it keeps telling me to use a valid e-mail...... which I've done......nice job United.....
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by blackllotus
This is the company that allowed people to log in with a 4 digit pin number lol. I was disappointed but not surprised to see that the security question answers had to be selected from a dropdown .
Yes. Fail. Stupid non-free text security questions. Of course none of their answers are especially memorable to me.

Originally Posted by DBCme
Surely such a critical security enhancement would have included extensive internal and external testing before releasing to all members?

Or maybe we are those external Guinea pigs since there hasn't been an official email blast or UA Insider announcement of it here.
I think you mean "should." And as we all know by now, "should" is a 4-letter word. I only trust it as far as I can throw the person saying it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I should have waited, but I thought, hey, they can't mess this up *that* much. Now I can't login to my account and getting "The page encountered an error processing your request." When I try to login.

*sigh*

Will give it a few hours to see if it's some sort of back end process that needs to sync and then will try again.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:11 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
I set/answered my five security question, but I was never asked to enter a new password. I guess my old password was sufficient because I am able to log in to my account with no issues.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:25 am

"Thank you all very much for participating in this first phase of the proposed security enhancement. Our highly skilled and competent technology team will now carefully log each of your results and feedback onto UA-branded paper napkins for further analysis. This information will be tremendously helpful in determining readiness for roll-out to MP members globally. Oh wait....

Furthermore, this haphazard and random method of reporting is preferred over a systematic and controlled method for identifying what worked and what didn't throughout the process. Oh wait...

In exchange for your time today, and the outside chance you experience difficulties tying to sort out how to log back into your MP account, here's a token of our appreciation. Oh wait... "

Sorry, feeling bad for many of you caught in this pickle. Some bad judgement by UA. I thought this might have passed with new leadership
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
There is no chance I am making any change until the last minute of the 30th day, or when teacher forces me to.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There is no chance I am making any change until the last minute of the 30th day, or when teacher forces me to.
^^^^^^^^^
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Finagler
I set/answered my five security question, but I was never asked to enter a new password. I guess my old password was sufficient because I am able to log in to my account with no issues.
same here.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
worked fine for me...

I answered the five security questions, had to use the "Forgot PW" link, reiterated the answers to two questions, set new PW (and made a note of it!), now can log in with MP# and PW (only). Got to be better than PIN.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I tried to log in this AM using my MP# and PIN and find I can't. It accepts my credentials but then I get half logged in and it greets me by first name -- but that's it. No reservations, mileage summary or other personal information is shown. I don't even see an option to change security preferences. I have no time to deal with this now. I just wanted to pick some seats. Awesme.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyborg
...Another problem I have with the use of preselected answers is the potential for profiling customers to shape product offerings and pricing. ...
I thought this as well, especially with the "Your Favorite Vacation" question. Don't think they won't be feeding this into a Big Data farm somewhere for future analysis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.