Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:32 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by villox
These questions are incredibly dumb. I actually had trouble coming up with 5 of them that I knew were strong enough preferences that I'd remember them 2 years from now when I forget my password.
Totally agree with this. I doubt that I'll remember the answers if asked, even if I had the list of what the available answers were.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Having said that, I'm happy to see the 4 digit PIN go.
I hope they keep the 4-digit PIN for the phone operations, such as redemptions of awards and upgrades. Otherwise it would be too difficult and just as insecure to say passwords by phone.

"lowercase eff, uppercase tee, ampersand, three, backslash, tilde, lowercase cee, percent, uppercase zee"

"Can you say that again slower and louder, please?"
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I also swear they're different in the app vs online, or maybe they've already changed some of them. Last night I distinctly recall one of the questions being "What color was the house you grew up in" and the one mentioned in this thread about the first major city you visited, but when I go to manage profile I see neither of these.
Those 2 questions were still there when I went thru the "update" process just now. I did not check the Manage Profile from within my account.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:41 am

These questions are incredibly dumb. I actually had trouble coming up with 5 of them that I knew were strong enough preferences that I'd remember them 2 years from now when I forget my password.

I also swear they're different in the app vs online, or maybe they've already changed some of them. Last night I distinctly recall one of the questions being "What color was the house you grew up in" and the one mentioned in this thread about the first major city you visited, but when I go to manage profile I see neither of these.
The questions are definitely randomized for different accounts...my wife received different options than me. Lots of griping about these questions but it looks like they hired a data scientist to design them to me...the weirdness itself is what makes them useful security questions, yes?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mreplus
The questions are definitely randomized for different accounts...my wife received different options than me. Lots of griping about these questions but it looks like they hired a data scientist to design them to me...the weirdness itself is what makes them useful security questions, yes?
It doesn't look like they hired a computer programmer to realize the design of the data scientist, however.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I answered the new five questions (^and I like how they pre-fill answers for you^)
I agree 100 % with this statement. It is so important that it bears reiterating.

Meanwhile, over at spg.com, I self selected my fav Sheraton property as a security query? The WEB site requires 100 % accurate recall. Did I say Sheraton Toronto? Toronto? Sheraton Centre? I gave up and changed the security question!

Seriously, a pull down menu of options removes most, if not all, of the stress of not remembering the answer.

In general, I find UA's WEB site and technology second to none. Much better than AC - where they recently introduced a 4-digit PIN. How retro is that?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:00 am

Should we sticky what we know about this?

* You have to update your account but you dont have to right away

* Not everyone answers the same questions

- If not everyone gets the questions the same way are the answers different too?

* What is the lock out when forgetting your password ? Does anyone know?

* What are all of the questions?

* Also can UA Insider comment on my idea that they will turn this into a question based secondary log in like my bank uses? That seems like the logical next step to me.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yup same here, had to do the "forgot password" thing. That's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I can't log in at all right now through united.com. It's not recognizing my MP #. This after I updated the security questions. What gives?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I hope they keep the 4-digit PIN for the phone operations, such as redemptions of awards and upgrades. Otherwise it would be too difficult and just as insecure to say passwords by phone.

"lowercase eff, uppercase tee, ampersand, three, backslash, tilde, lowercase cee, percent, uppercase zee"

"Can you say that again slower and louder, please?"
When I did the update this morning it specifically said the pin would be retained for phone redemptions etc. Just will not be valid for logging in anymore after the transition period.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Hallelujah. Finally this 1980's era 4 digit pin is on it's way out. Trips, Credit Cards and Passport data finally has BASIC security.

The dropdown answers to security questions is non-standard to say the least, and some did feel a little Big Data. I just picked random answers, or ones that made me chuckle a little bit. Stored them in my password manager along with everything else.

I was momentary jilted out of my normal habit when I got the failed to log in screen a couple of times, then finally read the error message. Password I had in my password manager successfully logged me in. Lucky I wasn't on the road, otherwise I would be in trouble.

Time to update my mobile devices now.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Oh, THAT's why. So why didn't they tell me I could no longer use a PIN and need to do a "Forgot password?" This is going to leave a ton of people confused.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I can't even login to my account to get the new questions... the login button just refreshes the tile in the same not-logged-in state with no error message.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:09 am

That's absolutely ridiculous that they would require us to change the passsword without actually giving us the opportunity to change it without us hitting the "Forgot Password?" button.

Another United fail.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Whomever is in charge of those changes in UA did a sloppy job. I tried to log in after filling the security questions, it wouldn't let me in. Called in, she said it must be a problem on my end (easy to blame..) and that I need to delete cookies. I didn't. I asked her if this is a common issue since they've implemented the new security update - she said no. UA have not sent an email in this regards, have no implemented troubleshooting protocol.. I solved it by adding a password instead of the PIN. I wish someone could think outside of the box there...but hey - now we have Stroophwafel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.